• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help me pick my first PCP...excited and overwhelmed with choices

Hello everyone,

It's time to buy a PCP. I recently bought a Hatsan 130S and I am disappointed in how much the hold matters. I knew it would matter, but it's too hold sensitive for to field work with my skill level. I don't mind developing some skill, but mostly I want an air rifle that it a tool for shooting pests, up to raccoon sizes in my large back yard, and crows, up to 30 yards. I would like to reach out even further for some target shooting and have potential for a 70 yard range at home. Because it's at home, I want something "backyard friendly." Also, as an AR owner I have a bunch of picatinny compatible bipods, scope mounts, etc...

With those things in mind I have some ideas of what I want and would LOVE some feedback.

Most important:

.22 at least, probably .25...maybe even .30
Something I can pump by hand
Easy to attach a bipod
Low/No maintenance (reliability is number 1 on my list), I want a tool, not too much of a BIG new hobby
Accurate, of course
Backyard friendly

I would also be nice if:

It has a good shot count for how much air I pump into it (regulated perhaps then)
Not too expensive (certainly not over $1500)
Somewhat durable for the field
It had a power adjustment to adjust power easily (like the very expensive Impact)

Here are the things on my list that have caught my attention and why I question each one

Air Venturi Avenger (too plastic, no history of reliability yet)
Benjamin Marauder (seems pretty good, but could I do better with a little more money, or do the same with the Avenger above?)
Benjamin Armada (no regulator and some of the same issues with doing better with a little more money or the get the Avenger)
FX Dreamline (expensive and needs a different barrel to shoot slugs, which I don't know if I care that much about)
Airgun Technology Uragan, mostly because I think it looks cool and different (but it's expensive and I don't know that much about it or it's aftermarket
Brocock Sniper (same issues as the Uragan above)

Thanks for any advice, new suggestions, pointing or corrections. Hope to buy soon!

Sam

most of these guns operate at about 230 bar , some 250 bar and the marauders a bit lower. these are not really hand pump friendly. if you are near a air fill station - paintball , fire house , scuba shop , etc. then get a tank , 75 cu ft tank and the avenger would run about $800 new. 

as for durable field use , power adjustment , good shot count , low maintanence , power - taipan veteran get one second hand for $1000-1200 bucks on classifieds. but i don't see a hand pump in your future with this gun. good luck with your search

I have shot only one pcp - a TalonP. Seems like it fits your needs. 25 cal, easily adjustable spring pre tension, available easily swapped valve caps to adjust power further. Barrels just slide in and slide out so can be switched to .22 or longer barrels. Super easy to take apart, modify, maintain. Not fancy or traditional looking but a good price (mid $400’s) and I hand pump mine every day. Seems to shoot best at 2500 down to 1500 psi. Maybe 75 strokes on the hand pump to top off. I can get a large number of shots when the power is restricted - 40 or so in the 15 - 20 fpe range. Also it will consistently shoot about 10 shots @ 50fpe+ with heavy slugs, even with power settings dialed down.

on the downside, this is not a new or trending product so there is very little activity or discussion about mods and tuning

I think your list of features is fine but your budget needs to be adjusted upwards some.
Hand pumping is the pits. You will need a tank and a compressor which will take a chunk out of your $1500. Buy a tank and a compressor then find a used rifle. Daystate huntsman. FX (you pick it) cricket, what ever you can find. I’d rather shoot a springer any day then pump a PCP .

For build like a tank, in field use, & reliable, look into Taipan Veteran, Kalibrgun Cricket, or Edguns (I don’t have personal experience with the Eds) I can tell you the Taipans & Kalibrguns are very accurate rock solid dependable hunting machines. 

As for hand pump, you can hand pump any gun you’re actually able to hand pump 😉 

Price, I’d get a used one of the ones I listed. 

Good luck in your search. 

Several will say don’t spend too much on your first. This logic has merit, but I am not much of a conventional thinker.

At age 15 my first electric guitar was a Gibson Les Paul (used Studio model). I don’t ever seem to ease into things..

I personally think you’re better of spending at the upper end of your limit. With this concept you “buy once, cry once”. I see it too many times where new members start slow then end up having several $2k items.

The benefits of buying up are:

1. Buy once, cry once.

2. You will typically get better quality and results.

3. Buy a popular brand/model. This will make resale quick with minimal loss of investment.

I see popular brands such as FX selling all the time in the used market for slightly less than new. I am not endorsing FX, it’s just my observation.

Now if you want my opinion on on brands for resale potential see below:

FX, Daystate, Taipan, Brocock (buy the side lever version as this is what’s hot), Edgun, RAW. I am sure I missed some, but these are the first to come to mind.

For build like a tank, in field use, & reliable, look into Taipan Veteran, Kalibrgun Cricket, or Edguns (I don’t have personal experience with the Eds) I can tell you the Taipans & Kalibrguns are very accurate rock solid dependable hunting machines. 

As for hand pump, you can hand pump any gun you’re actually able to hand pump
1f609.svg

Price, I’d get a used one of the ones I listed. 

Good luck in your search.

I don’t have any of these but from everyone’s reviews I would be buying one of these as well.

If noise isn't an issue for you Go buy a 22 RWS Diana 54 or 56. No tanks or compressors to buy. And no busting your butt pumping! It is the most accurate production Springer to shoot past 100 yards with. NOTHING today in a spring or gas ram platform will touch it past 100 yards in accuracy. It will keep up with a lot of budget to mid priced PCPs too believe it or not.

Here is my thoughts. I had an old Crosman 2240XT that eventually died and I wanted another PCP...I saw a decent deal on an FX impact and jumped on it..Over the course of a year and many headaches and dollars spent ..I finally worked allot the bugs out..It a great gun , an expensive gun.and a technical gun to deal with. I had some down time while the FX was shipped off and i was being the air gun junkie that I am..I bought the Benjamin Marauder Pistol....I put the Donny FL Shogun on it form the FX and the Bi pod, and my ATN scope.. and I had one wicked quiet squirrel thump gun...All of my target and pestling takes placed no further than 50 yards.. and man, The Marauder is BADASS with the additions..

itis a gun that you can work ojn yourself, if you like to tinker with things like a de-pinger, hammer springs ect.. In .22 there are a ton of ellets that are great with this gun.. Mine personally like JSB Hades....At thirty yards I can put the same pellet in the same hole all day long... I look at them all the Armanda, Taipan, ect the whole lot, and I came to rest of the Marauder pistol....It is durable, compact, efficient go getter.. and again I cannot stress how silent it is... If i knew what I know now. I would not have bought the FX and gone right with the Marauder set up tha ti have now..It is a backyard dream and squirrels worst nightmare......Anyhoo that my though...Her are some videos and pics of it in actions.. 

1594325568_12607300525f077a4005ea76.61323771.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-nrPPQ7sdk

Lots of really good advice on this thread. Your decision boils down to priorities. When I put myself in your shoes, I find myself with 3 different paths to consider.

Low Cost: +1 to @AAC9888, The Marauder Pistol .22 is a perfect solution for 30 yard shooting and hand-pumping. It is easy to tune and fun to modify, when you get the itch to tinker. The Rocker1 extended shroud with baffles will make it super quiet while keeping the size down. Not regulated but you can add one later, I've done a lot of mods to mine but haven't felt the need for a reg yet.

Moderate Cost: The absolute best value for a high-end PCP is to buy a used Taipan Mutant .22 from this forum. The Mutant is every bit as good as the Veteran...accurate, best possible trigger, bulletproof construction, smooth action, and as maintenance-free as a PCP can be. I have much more expensive PCPs, but my Mutant is still one of the best. For 30-70 yards, the Compact is ideal, but the Standard size is more readily available on the used market. I see these going for as low as $900 in the classifieds.

Higher Cost: +1 to @theotherpursuit, buy once cry once is the best advice I never take. My choice comes down to the Taipan Veteran (perfect execution of classic bullpup design, best possible trigger, beautiful laminate stock, anti-double-feed) or the AGT Uragan (forward cocking, lighter weight, good trigger). Since I'm spending all your money, I'll go ahead and throw in a Joe Brancato CF tank and an air compressor.

Hand Pump? There is nothing wrong with hand pumping your first PCP, but it is work. I still use a dedicated hand pump for my 10-meter pistols. Sure a tank and compressor makes like easier, but I would rather fill a PCP with a hand pump than not have a PCP at all. I suggest you spend more money on a great rifle now, and use the hand pump until you feel like upgrading. The secret to a hand pump is to top off regularly and often. Maximize joy in life by never letting your rifle get low enough to fall off the regulator and fill it back up immediately after you are done shooting to keep your seals in good shape.

Caliber? There is always debate on this topic. Based on your distance, a .22 rifle is the perfect balance of power and shot count. Going .25 is probably overkill. Having said that, I like overkill and will always choose .25 caliber when available. The only reason I shoot .22 is because some of the best guns are only available in that caliber (Marauder Pistol, Mutant, Colibri, Uragan Compact).

Don't stress too much over this decision. Every gun mentioned in this thread will feel like a step up from where you are now.

- Kevin.