• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Help me find a good set of screwdrivers to work on airguns.

I have a gunsmithing set of screw drivers made by a company called B-Square that I bought a very long time ago that work very well on all my guns including my Weihrauch air rifles. I don't know if this company is still in business. Go to Brownells.com. This company specializes in gun smithing tools and should have a screw driver set that will meet your needs.

The gold standard for gunsmithing screwdrivers used to be Chapman, with the large, modular selection of bits and the ratchet that slips over the shank of the tool, allowing you great torque and control while also easy to push down on the handle. I bought a set similar to this after scratching one of my guns while trying to use a standard slot screwdriver.

71W2tBBJmGL._AC_SL1500_.1606141576.jpg

I strongly support the use of Chapman-type hollow-ground screwdrivers. They help keep the heads in pristine shape. Any tapered screwdriver will deform the head. I wish the previous owners/service folks who owned the air guns I have had always used the right-sized hollow-ground blade screwdrivers! So many of them have badly damaged screw heads. I am finally getting around to ordered replacement screws for most of them. Some I might have to machine myself.

As for getting enough force to remove the screw, a drop or two Kano Labs' Kroil Penetrant, followed by a 24-hour wait to let it find its way into the smallest gaps, and you should be able to remove almost any screw with very little effort. If that doesn't do it, I will resort to a heat gun (NOT a blowtorch) to warm the metal and soften any gummed-up oils that the Kroil might not have taken care of. The heat gun is preferred over a torch as it won't get the metal hot enough to mess with any temper, and won't get hot enough to harden any gummed oil.

This has been my experience, at least.