• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help me design a homemade airgun

Hey guys. I recently had a standard kitchen sized extinguisher drop and break its cap. I thought this could be a good time to build a fun homemade airgun. I can figure out safe working pressures and all that but as far as the design I'm stuck between a couple ideas, how have you guys built them in the past? I'm not trying to give any limitations on ideas. If you have an idea on making a cork gun I would be interested. Or a 177 plinker or a soda can launcher for all I car. Just trying to do something fun and skill building. Even better if my little girl might be able to fire it. Thanks I know I'm not the only one who does dumb poop just for kicks around here. 

1581280212_8908344455e406bd4380d86.16601619_15812801837496606609066695166461.jpg

At many outdoor events, they (don't know who, but they..!) have "T-shirt" PCP canons that shoot rolled up t-shirts into the grandstands.

Like what was said above, a small version for your kids could shoot potatoes, or smaller and less lethal, shoot grapes.

Your extinguisher bottle and grapes would be a good, fun fit for you and your kid(s). Shouldn't be too expensive either.

Mike

Yeah something like that could be cool. I also saw a video of someone who was built a bait launcher. You freeze your bait in water and then pump up to 300 psi and dump valve it. It shoots your line like 150 to 200 yards. I think the extinguisher has too small a hole to do that but a grape shooter or cork gun or a potato gun pcp is exactly what I'm going for. I don't think it's an accident waiting to happen because I will operate at probably a quarter of the bottles safety rating. I just need to find that out. I know co2 ones are good for like 2000 psi but the dry chemical one might be significantly lower. In any case it would be low enough to pump with a home shop compressor. I have seen people make steel ball launchers that bordered on the insane. I wouldn't want to do that I just want a toy. I'm also thinking about building my own hammer and valve as opposed to just a dump valve if I go with grape launcher. I just watched a guy on youtube make one out of bolts and couplings so I plan to copy him for my first attempt. If I go potato gun it will be a dump valve powered by rubber actuated extended lever like Jorge spraves stuff.