Help me decide!!!

New to the airgun world! I’m in a debate in which caliber to start with. Is the .25 cal that much better than the .22? I was looking at the air Venturi avenger for a .25 cal. I ran across the umarex origin however. I’m in a pickle for which one to get. Keep in mind I will be using a hand pump with both. Hence why the umarex is so intriguing! 

I started with 22 cal and would recommend that you start there as well. With all the different ammo types out there now, it would almost seem that 22 cal is the most widely supported caliber. I have 25 cal now, and while it does hit harder, it also requires more air to get there. I would probably go back to 22 if I didn't have thousands of pellets in 25 cal. If you think about it, 22cal has matured to shoot slugs that weigh the same as a JSB 25 cal, 25 grain King, and Heavy MKII. So, in theory, you can basically have the power of 25 cal with 22, as long as you are willing to lean on your rifle hard enough to shoot that hard, which will also require more air pressure to get the projectile there. With a hand pump, start with 22, you will get more experience as you will be able to shoot more (you even get more pellets in a tin), and you can evolve into 25 if you think you want to go that route—just my opinion.

New to the airgun world! I’m in a debate in which caliber to start with. Is the .25 cal that much better than the .22? I was looking at the air Venturi avenger for a .25 cal. I ran across the umarex origin however. I’m in a pickle for which one to get. Keep in mind I will be using a hand pump with both. Hence why the umarex is so intriguing!

Go with a .22 Gauntlet or .22 Marauder (Marauder is my pick) and you will be well set. Skip the hype with the Avenger. Pick the proven platforms first.

Thanks! I think I’ll go with the .22 in the umarex! Seems it’s my first pcp, and that seems to be the most friendly hand pump gun available at that price point. I plan on hunting with it. But mostly just to get trigger time. No sense in shooting the powder guns with limited ammo. Reloading sounded good until I found how cheap this is and I’ve heard that shooting air guns will make you a better shot with guessing holdovers and windage.I guess my next question is what airgun website has the best customer service! 

It’s like you already have your mind Made up. But I would go with the Benjamin marauder because it is a better air gun than the gauntlet. Benjamin’s Warranty and customer service is better also.Although Umarex Customer service isn’t bad. I just think Benjamin is a little better.As far as the stores go, during Covoid, it’s hard to get in contact with some of the people at the stores by phone so you have to email them usually right now. I have bought a lot from pyramid air and only one time I had an issue with a return. I am a neighboring state, so when I order something, I normally get it in two days.

...consider the Cayden...use the AGNATION code and get it for 25% off...($449)

...smooth, powerful, and accurate...5 year warranty...it's heavy a 8 lbs though...

...I fill mine with hand pump...

Benjamin® Cayden™ (.22) | Crosman Airguns, BB Guns, Pellet Guns

PY-5158_Benjamin-Cayden-PCP-Air_1600375958.jpg

Look at the marauder.. before making up your mind....remember your gun.. you are going to live with your choice....the marauder is about as hand pump friendly rifle as you can get... at 2000 psi per fill. I believe... Also it has been the most sold rifle for many years in a row ..good luck..enjoy the experience. Its a fun time in life picking and receiving your new rifle. .. HYNZIE 4S 

...smooth, powerful, and accurate...5 year warranty...it's heavy a 8 lbs though...

That’s because Harpo strong like bull. No I hand pump all my PCP guns also. I don’t shoot any one gun for a long time. I’ll shoot one for a little while then go get another one and shoot it for a little while. 

The Benjamin Maximus is probably the most reliable hand pump friendly rifle at only 2000psi. The Marauder takes 3000psi.

The Gauntlet is pretty heavy to carry around and good for a tabletop bench gun like the Marauder.

Maximus is Simple, light weight perfect for hunting as a starter first PCP or a nice addition to an airgun collection and oretty much drama free. A $27 Airgun Universe silencer makes it very quiet.

Marauder Is a heavy gun to hunt with especially with a scope mounted even when using a Leupold EFR it's kinda heavy IMHO.

This is why I shoot my Maximus and 1701P with carbine stock the most due to ease of hand pumping and light weught to carry around. 

Don't try to power a light bulb with a potato.

Not to be devil advocate here but unless you are truly going to hunt, I would lean towards a .177 cal. You're hand pumping and a .177 will get you a lot more shots per fill. I did the hand pump thing and the difference between a .177 and a .25 is more than double. I get 40 good shots on my .177 Hatsan where as the .25 I tried out (same gun and cylinder size) was 18 shots. On a good day I like to shoot 200 to 300 shots so hand pumping would get old VERY quick (actually I just never shot as much when hand pumping, limiting it to 1 or 2 tanks so usually less than 100 shots). I got a compressor after a couple weeks of the hand pump thing. .177 pellets are cheaper by far and do a lot less damage to targets. .177 pellets are easier to find in local stores also (my Walmart does have a decent selection of .22 also but they are more expensive as their are fewer pellets per tin). If your pesting the .177 does a great job on small pests (sparrows, squirrels, chipmunks, starlings, etc.) Just putting it out there as am alternative.

Always remember, you didn't pay for my opinion.

I have a .25, I just bought a .22 for a couple reasons.

Mostly I punch paper. Being a cheapskate, I look for economy wherever I can get it.

JSB .22 per tin - 500 for $19, .25 for same pellet, 350 for $19, Air usage, don't have any stats, but you get more shots out of a .22 before airing up the gun again. Accuracy is about a push.

There's a huge variety of pellets in .22. .25 is catching up, but still, new inventions come in .22 first typically. If you want slugs, .22 has a better variety.

Mostly, if you want to dispatch small pests, our UK neighbors take rabbits at 30 or 40 yards with sub-12 foot pound guns. A .22 pushing 28 or 30 foot pounds of energy is plenty to dispatch said critter. A .25 pushing mid 40 foot pound energy could be considered unnecessary.

If you pump, go smaller. If you have a compressor, it doesn't make that much difference. If you check the Marauder specs, a .22 is rated for about 30 shots per fill, where a .25 is about 18 shots per fill if I remember correctly. That's a BIG Difference, because hand pumps aint all that fun. It takes 100-ish strokes to fill my Marauder with a Benjamin pump. Those last 25 or 30 pumps are not easy and get the blood pumping. You'll need to take a rest before you can shoot again.

good luck

The Benjamin Cayden is my recommendation as well , accurate, good shot count . well made , good price point. 5 year warranty is a plus. if you shop around you can find them pretty cheap. By the time you add a scope and moderator of course the price goes up. I have had mine for 3 months, shot many tins of pellets and have had zero issues, other then finding time to shoot more! The scope that Harpo mentioned is on my buying wish list, if you search this forum on the alpha 6 you will see that it is well liked by others and a good value for money . Also if you want to keep things quiet, ( you will need some type of silencer for the Cayden) I have a Donny FL sumo on mine and it works well, makes the gun a little long but that's okay for me. I shoot targets so the weight is good for my needs, If you hunt, it might be on the heavy side