• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help me decide...

I'm just getting started with air guns, so please bear with me. I'm looking for a filling solution for an Air Arms S510 and trying to decide whether to buy a small (90 cu in.) tank with a fill station or a good Hill-type pump. I've got a $400 budget, so the up front cost of either is doable.I'm just wondering about how often I'll have to get the tank filled vs. the effort to pump a gun up by hand. I'm a late 60-something in reasonable shape. Or are there other alternatives I'm not aware of?

Thanks

We’re in the same age bracket and using a hand pump is too much work while your having fun. I was in the same situation as you, I made the mistake of buying a hand pump it’s extremely hard especially when your down to the last 1000# to go. I sold that pump and got a 70cf tank that I would fill at a paintball store for $10 which gave 30-40 fills on my Hatsan rifle if you live near a pcp rifle store that may even be better as I heard that one was giving free air for a year with gun purchase.. Eventually when I saw this sport was not a passing thing and 5 Guns later I got an electric compressor. They cost anywhere from $350 for basic Chinese imports to over $2000 and up for European models. AirForce just came out with one for $899 that can also work off your car battery when your in the field. The better made Chinese compressors go from $1299 to $2000

good luck and good shooting.

I think it depends on how much you shoot. You can get a tank for cheaper that is used and still has a few years service life left. There is a 15 year service life, and a 5 year hydro requirement. Both must be in periodicity or the Dive Shop won't fill them. In San Diego its about $5 per fill to 4500 psi. Once the tank is greater than 15 years old it can't be filled anymore - legally. If you have your own compressor then it doesn't matter. These tanks are all designed for a 30 year service life, but DOT restricts it to 15 years for political reasons. The 45 minute (66 cubic feet) tank will fill your AA many times, probably more than 15. A larger 60 minute tank, or 88 cubic feet, will fill it probably 20 times. Keep an eye on eBay for a 60 minute tank that has at least two or three years service life left. They are usually around $110 to $140, in that range.
If you shoot a lot, and have many guns, I'd look at getting a Compressor, but you'll still want to use a tank, since filling the gun from the compressor will turn into a pain very quickly...

"redcrow"Thanks Centercut & Brian. Sounds like the tank/fill station would be the preferred option. The Ebay stuff looks good, but what happens after the 5 years left on the tank's service life? My other question is how many fills I'd get out of it for my AA S510 Xtra. What about the cheaper Chinese 4500 PSI compressors?
Personally not a believer in the cheap Chinese compressor however there are others on this blog who have had success with them. Make sure you get one of the good ones that other users can comment on and you use them how recommend with the needed accessories.

Thanks to all for your input. So here's what I've decided. I ordered the tank and fill station Centercut mentioned. Should be here is a week or so. I've found a suba shop that'll hydro the tank & fill it for me. It's only got 5 years on its DOT lifetime, but in that time I can easily save enough to buy an Omega or AV compressor so I can fill the tank myself going forward. The tank & fill station actually cost about the same as a good hand pump, and I'd rather do my cardio on a bicycle.