N/A Help me decide.

Ok so I'm in the market for a multi purpose big bore air rifle. Me and my wife do alot of overlanding alone and have decided to buy a air rifle for several reasons. We camp alone near bears and need something that at point blank range would atleast slow one down. "we just recently had a very close encounter with one outside our tent. We camp alone on in places where phones don't work. I would also like to use it occasionally to deer and hog hunt. However it needs to be small enough to carry with us when we camp and maneuverable in close quarters. I'm debating between 45 caliber and 50. The two on the top of my list are bintac m50c with 22 inch barrel and a Texan carbine. I might consider a Benjamin bulldog if I ran up on one at tge right price. Any suggestions, advice and knowledge is welcome and appreciated. Thanks

Reactions: Gohand
I would look at the 16 inch barrel Zeus. Its still kind of heavy but I wouldn't doubt it's ability on a hog or deer. As far as a aggressive bear goes, any pcp seems like a roll of the dice. Hunting scenario vs self defense scenario are very different as I'm sure you know. But I have the .58 in both full length and 16 inch configurations. It's an acceptable shooter with an abundance of power.

I like that the barrel is a little shorter then I'd prefer. How do yall feel about the quality and reliability of the aea vs the airforce products. Here's where I'm at between tge two. I like the design and style of the aea but I'm also I big fan of American made quality and mostly important reliability. I like things that simply work. The price difference between the two really makes no difference to me.

A bear is not an animal that one should consider wounding in defense. You either kill them or maintain a safe distance. Of you keep beat spray and are well versed in firearms, you should know what to use to defend yourself from a bear attack. An airgun is not the way to go for self defense against a bear attack. That’s like using a shoelace for a seatbelt in a stock car. Take it for what it’s worth.

I seriously hope that this thread is a creative attempt to reach 10 meaningful posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: N2 Shooter
Another question if I were to go with a aea element vs m50c can someone with experience with both give me a idea of what I'm getting for the difference. The element is quite a bit more.

from what I understand the M50 was meant to be a pistol/short barrel gun at least compared to the element.
I wouldn't mind the Element Max, the cocking system of the revolver style hammer makes it seem very interesting, and tons of FPE in all calibers, especially .58

the M50 is supposed to be .50cal, but have seem some custom bintacs in 457, 510 etc

I would go with the Zeus for your similar needs, as long as you can keep a big enough tank for refills with you too, but the element is probably close behind

Reactions: Riley1131
I absolutely agree that any airgun is not ideal for my situation. Obviously the 454 casull that I used to own would be a much better option but it's not a option at all. So I'm left with making compromises that I wish that I didn't have to make but I'm trying to make the best decision I can of the options available. We spend alot of time on trails near rds where nobody is around anybody in that situation needs and should have a way to protect themselves and in my situation a airgun seems the best available option.

from what I understand the M50 was meant to be a pistol/short barrel gun at least compared to the element.
I wouldn't mind the Element Max, the cocking system of the revolver style hammer makes it seem very interesting, and tons of FPE in all calibers, especially .58

the M50 is supposed to be .50cal, but have seem some custom bintacs in 457, 510 etc

I would go with the Zeus for your similar needs, as long as you can keep a big enough tank for refills with you too, but the element is probably close behind
I was really comparing the bintac m50 with 22 inch barrel to the element. I'm still researching and watching videos but aside from having tge hammer on the element they seem very similar if you set the m50 up that way. I like the heavy caliber of the Zeus but I need something with a collapsible stock so my wife could use if necessary.

I would really reconsider your choice to use an air gun for your stated purposes.
If you actually feel like your life is in danger why would you not want the most powerful weapon you could use?
A carbine sized firearm would be as light or lighter to carry and delivers far more energy than any air gun is going to. It will also provide much faster follow up shots.
Air gun + self defense in any situation = bad decision

I would really reconsider your choice to use an air gun for your stated purposes.
If you actually feel like your life is in danger why would you not want the most powerful weapon you could use?
A carbine sized firearm would be as light or lighter to carry and delivers far more energy than any air gun is going to. It will also provide much faster follow up shots.
Air gun + self defense in any situation = bad decision
A conventional firearm is not a option. I agree with what you said. I have no intention of hunting or looking for a bear, however if a bear sticks his head inside my tent I would feel better with a big bore airgun then nothing at all. I'm thinking I shouldn't have mentioned the recent bear situation because it seems to be derailing the whole conversation. I'm looking for something to pull double duty as a camp gun and a deer/ hog gun. I started hunting deer in early elementary school with a 30/30 then a 30/06 and many more to follow. I collected all types of firearms. Been into archery my entire life everything from hunting to shooting 3d and spots. I made a mistake about a decade ago that leaves my only options for hunting a bow and I'm interested in airguns and I'm trying to learn about them from people who have more experience with them then I do.

Reactions: SenseiSmash
A conventional firearm is not an option. I agree with what you said. I have no intention of hunting or looking for a bear, however if a bear sticks his head inside my tent I would feel better with a big bore airgun then nothing at all. I'm thinking I shouldn't have mentioned the recent bear situation because it seems to be derailing the whole conversation. I'm looking for something to pull double duty as a camp gun and a deer/ hog gun. I started hunting deer in early elementary school with a 30/30 then a 30/06 and many more to follow. I collected all types of firearms. Been into archery my entire life everything from hunting to shooting 3d and spots. I made a mistake about a decade ago that leaves my only options for hunting a bow and I'm interested in airguns and I'm trying to learn about them from people who have more experience with them then I do.
I understand your situation and it limits your options. In your shoes a big bore air gun may be your only option.
It ain’t a pretty one but when it is the best available to you, it is what you use.
I apologize if I offended you. That was not my intention at all. We occasionally see people advocating air guns as a choice for self defense. When other options are available they are a bad choice. In your situation it makes as good fo sense as possible.
Good luck with your search and welcome to the forum.