• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help me decide

Darn ... P.A just had beeman R9 referbs in .22. That could of been somthing to try .. honestly only thing i can think of to spoil a hw/r's would be droop. Then if i pull one out of the box and it's pretty noticable its going back to rma city...lol

Personly today no excuse for noticeable droop , and i will put them under the levels right off the bat..

Not me. My HW95 L field pro Has. An is a pain in my 😵‍💫. It’s a 177 cal an has new spring Also have the 22 cal barrel for it. But the majority have great success. With this model. Mine has barrel droop As well
Chances are your droop is from a binding cocking arm. The gun won't shoot right until it's fixed.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Chances are your droop is from a binding cocking arm. The gun won't shoot right until it's fixed.
I did have a binding cocking lever . was able to get that resolved. From the good people from this forum 😃 The rifle was new in January. Some where on this forum I have a write up of things I tried. To make it shoot better . It’s on its second new scope 🤷‍♂️ I’m not sure, I have some things in mind to try. Probably this fall . I’m determined to make it my #2 squirrel gun. The HW90 is #1 But that HW50 is an absolute delight to shoot . Don’t read this last part . It likes thos 7.9 crosmans . 🤣🤣🤣🤣. I’ve read you an mcnastty comments. I do agree with you they are a dirty pellet. After an afternoon of plinking my hands are filthy 😬😬 thanks for mentioning the arm issue . That’s why I like this forum !!

I did have a binding cocking lever . was able to get that resolved. From the good people from this forum 😃 The rifle was new in January. Some where on this forum I have a write up of things I tried. To make it shoot better . It’s on its second new scope 🤷‍♂️ I’m not sure, I have some things in mind to try. Probably this fall . I’m determined to make it my #2 squirrel gun. The HW90 is #1 But that HW50 is an absolute delight to shoot . Don’t read this last part . It likes thos 7.9 crosmans . 🤣🤣🤣🤣. I’ve read you an mcnastty comments. I do agree with you they are a dirty pellet. After an afternoon of plinking my hands are filthy 😬😬 thanks for mentioning the arm issue . That’s why I like this forum !!
For the record, I don't care if people like or use Crosman pellets. I used to use them a lot until about summer 2018. I've had tins of Walmart 177 CPHPs that were phenomenal and shot better than some JSB and H&N. I've also used the brown box single die CPLs with great luck. Those were great pellets.

My problem with the Crosman pellets is two-fold. First is the lack of QC. Unless they've improved the 177 Walmart CPHP seem to vary quite a bit in size within the tin. Heck I had to return two out of three tins once because they had 22s mixed in. Brands like JSB, RWS and H&N stay closer sized within a tin. Not always perfect but markedly closer. Thus they typically have less radical flyers. This is why I recommended trying them to Nasty when he mentioned he had some undersized pellets giving him flyers. Then he went nuts on me. You'd think I bashed his mom or kid.

My second gripe with Crosman isn't because they're dirty per se. BTW I believe the dirt you see on your fingers may be graphite powder. Crosman used to add graphite powder to their pellets. Why, I don't know. My second gripe is that Crosman uses a lot more antimony in their pellets than other brands. This makes them harder than other brands. It helps prevent shipping damage. The problem with hard lead is you either have to use it all the time or not at all.

Barrel seasoning or (fouling in a good way) is very important to accuracy. It can take a hundred sometimes a thousand shots to season a brand new or newly scrubbed and polished barrel. Shooting six hard lead Crosmans can almost undo all that soft lead fouling or seasoning. The hard lead scrapes it right out. If you continually shoot Crosman pellets or more Crosman than soft lead brands the barrel becomes seasoned with hard lead.

Soft lead can't clear the hard lead for obvious reasons. Now the expensive brand soft lead pellets just won't print as good as they should. At least until all the hard lead is literally scrubbed out and the barrel goes through the whole seasoning process again with soft lead. Which depending on the barrel can takes hundreds of expensive pellets. BTW soft lead pellets won't ever excessively foul a barrel. Crosman will. I haven't needed to clean any of my personal gun barrels since switching to soft lead brands. Some of these guns have over 30k shots on them.

Anyway between the inconsistent QC (flyers), the hard lead screwing up my accuracy with other brands and additional maintenance, I've decided not to use Crosman pellets. I can afford better pellets, so I shoot better pellets. I get more consistent accuracy from them and I'm willing to pay for it.

If someone else wants to shoot Crosman pellets and they are happy with the results they get. God bless them. Just don't waste your money using expensive soft lead pellets through a Crosman seasoned barrel because they won't print as good as they could. If you're happy with the Crosman, stay with the Crosman and maybe just clean the barrel every couple thousand rounds to keep them shooting well.

Hth
Ron

Last edited:
Reactions: maxtrouble
For the record, I don't care if people like or use Crosman pellets. I used to use them a lot until about summer 2018. I've had tins of Walmart 177 CPHPs that were phenomenal and shot better than some JSB and H&N. I've also used the brown box single die CPLs with great luck. Those were great pellets.

My problem with the Crosman pellets is two-fold. First is the lack of QC. Unless they've improved the 177 Walmart CPHP seem to vary quite a bit in size within the tin. Heck I had to return two out of three tins once because they had 22s mixed in. Brands like JSB, RWS and H&N stay closer sized within a tin. Not always perfect but markedly closer. Thus they typically have less radical flyers. This is why I recommended trying them to Nasty when he mentioned he had some undersized pellets giving him flyers. Then he went nuts on me. You'd think I bashed his mom or kid.

My second gripe with Crosman isn't because they're dirty per se. BTW I believe the dirt you see on your fingers may be graphite powder. Crosman used to add graphite powder to their pellets. Why, I don't know. My second gripe is that Crosman uses a lot more antimony in their pellets than other brands. This makes them harder than other brands. It helps prevent shipping damage. The problem with hard lead is you either have to use it all the time or not at all.

Barrel seasoning or (fouling in a good way) is very important to accuracy. It can take a hundred sometimes a thousand shots to season a brand new or newly scrubbed and polished barrel. Shooting six hard lead Crosmans can almost undo all that soft lead fouling or seasoning. The hard lead scrapes it right out. If you continually shoot Crosman pellets or more Crosman than soft lead brands the barrel becomes seasoned with hard lead.

Soft lead can't clear the hard lead for obvious reasons. Now the expensive brand soft lead pellets just won't print as good as they should. At least until all the hard lead is literally scrubbed out and the barrel goes through the whole seasoning process again with soft lead. Which depending on the barrel can takes hundreds of expensive pellets. BTW soft lead pellets won't ever excessively foul a barrel. Crosman will. I haven't needed to clean any of my personal gun barrels since switching to soft lead brands. Some of these guns have over 30k shots on them.

Anyway between the inconsistent QC (flyers), the hard lead screwing up my accuracy with other brands and additional maintenance, I've decided not to use Crosman pellets. I can afford better pellets, so I shoot better pellets. I get more consistent accuracy from them and I'm willing to pay for it.

If someone else wants to shoot Crosman pellets and they are happy with the results they get. God bless them. Just don't waste your money using expensive soft lead pellets through a Crosman seasoned barrel because they won't print as good they could. If you're happy with the Crosman, stay with the Crosman and maybe just clean the barrel every couple thousand rounds to keep them shooting well.

Hth
Ron

Well thank you for your reply. An you are entitled to your opinion. Back in my powder burning days an reloading . We looked for the hardest cast bullet. Even cast bullets with Virgin tin to make them hard. All that to keep lead fowling to a minimum. On the black powder side seasoned barrel with pig fat ( like a frying Pan). You are right They are vary inconsistent in size. Please have a good day 😃😃

@bmoney - I suggest the HW30 .177 from Krale. Plenty of power for under fifty yards right out of the box. Mine shoots .177 H&N Field Target Trophies head size 452 very accurately. I use a Hawke Airmax 2-7x32 with a BKL 1 inch droop mount.
Thank you. Do they usually come back in stock fairly quickly? I signed up my email to be notified.

I appreciate all the input, I suppose I will wait for the HW30s at Krale. Saving 90 bucks is pretty significant, thats a mantis scope and rings. I almost pulled the trigger on the .22 today, I have a Maruader and Maximus in .177 and sometimes get tired of the tiny pellets. But I have a 1322 that is crazy accurate at about the same FPS as the .22 HW30s will shoot, it maybe even shoots a bit faster. Seems like the .177 will be a good fit.

Reactions: Frogy
Get the HW 50 in 0.177.
If your main activity is plinking, 0.177 in general are less expensive and less loopy trajectory.

I wouldn't worry about the barrel droop (as this does not impact the inherent accuracy of the gun).

Bottom line, it is an accurate gun with a great trigger compared to bottom tier springers. That's what you are paying for, accuracy and quality of product (fit/finish). There are solutions for this barrel droop if it bothers you. Adjustable mounts and/or riser, barrel re-adjustment, please no shimming of scopes.

View attachment 360526
(who in their right mind would do that to a barrel??? maybe to win a bet?)
Yeah, bending the barrel slightly is a 5-10 minute fix. No need to spend more $$$ on drooper mounts or use shims.
Now if you have an underlever .... adjustable mounts.