• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help me decide

Between a hwake vantage 4-16x44 side focus, or an athlom talos 4-16x40.

I prefer standard mil dot X hairs, and both of these scopes seem great for my shooting. Is the hawke worth the extra almost 100 bucks for 4mm more of objective?

Who has a talos and how does it perform? What's quality like?

The hawke has a smoother fit/finish to it, and I'm leaning that way, but I'm definitely considering the athlon for the savings.

Thanks

Dr. K

Going on this rig, swapping the westhunter for the talos or vantage.
20230218_075542.jpg

Frankie, one of my Krals I built. Currently has a westhunter 4-16x44 30mm. The gun is super accurate so I wanted to get it some better glass.
Thanks. Asked because I own a few of Hawke's Vantage line scopes, they're not rated for spring piston guns over 12 fpe and you'd be better served considering their Airmax line if it was for a springer.

I do not decide any more unless Athlon does not make a scope i need and so far that has not happened . most scope company's now have lifelong warrantees , but Athlon is right here in Kansas city and very fast replacement/ repair. usually a few days not weeks .

I had that Athlon 4-16 on a $1500 centerfire varmint rifle for years. It held zero, tracked well, and it was awesome that it had mil turrets with a Mildot reticle.
The main thing I liked was the thicker reticle which made it easy to see.
The glass wasn't great but not bad either. Plenty appropriate for the price point. I'm used to expensive scopes and nice glass so.....

It was a $159 MAP scope when I bought it.
Only late last year did I replace it on my varmint rifle because the Heras 4-20 was available to me at the time.

I'm super impressed with the Heras 2-12x42 I got a few weeks ago. Man it's a nice scope!!, and way better than anything I've come across at its price point. The glass is superior to the Talos by quite a bit too.

Reactions: Ezana4CE