Help me decide the caliber of my next purchase - HW35e

Hey folks,

I'm in the market for a new springer. I want to get a "point and shoot" with open sights backyard gun. I used to hunt Green Iguanas and Feral Pigeons but not anymore. Now a days my shooting has been paper punching and the occasional pest control. I will be shooting at around 15-25 yards or less. So far I've narrowed my search to the HW35e for its vintage vibe and overall reviews.

For your reference, I currently own a TX200 w/ Vortek HO kit, a Theoben SLR98 and a UK Tomahawk tuned by David Slade, all in .22 cal.

Being the HW35e is a lower power gun compared to my other guns I'm not sure to go with my default of .22 or maybe I'm better off getting the .177. Which one do you own and/or recommend?

Cheers!

.177 as my John Thomas tuned 6.5ft/lb one has a fairly flat trajectory with JSB 8.44 to 18 yards. 
I wouldn't choose a .22 in anything less than 12ftlbs but that's me. A sub 12ft/lb .22 would serve well for short range, less pass throughs/full energy dumps.

Then again there are some high quality lighter weight alloy pellets like GTO and H&N Greens. They would probably shine real nice at 20 yards in .22 from a gorgeous HW35E. 

Glad to hear you enjoy good iron sights. When you get it I would love to compare groups with my tuned HW30 & irons at your choice. 

I just recieved my new HW35e a few days ago. It's a .177 and the power level is perfect for it. A .22 would be good at short backyard ranges I am sure. I bought mine to use in my backyard and it does quite well. I have no doubt it would be just fine in .22 for my backyard. So far I have only used the stock open sights and I generally hit what I aim at, even with my lousy vision. I may end up with a reciever sight or scope on it. The Germans put great irons on these guns, they are easy to use. By the way so far I have only shot at 22 yards max with it, but with a little thought I can extend my range to 35 yards, but I will need to wait until I get a better sighing option on the gun. I just with my eyesight was better so I could stay with the factory sights at 35 yds.

I went through a .22 phase. Now I’m in a .177 phase. I love the 177 for 7-11FPE. Nice fast, accurate and flat. I understand the allure of .22 but in that platform especially I think you’ll get the job done with a .177 just fine. It will be a tough choice though since all your others seem to be .22 and it simplifies pellet purchasing but it won’t take many, if more then one purchase to find an accurate one for you.