• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Help me decide Benjamin akela v Stoeger XM1 Bullshark or ??

I am looking to pick up a bullpup in the $400-$600 range, the Akela and the Bullshark are on the list with pluses and minuses for both. Love the size and weight of the Bullshark but the Akela with a simple HS swap gets an extremely high shoot count. Ideally I would get a cricket gen1 but unless I luck out and find a crazy priced used one that's out. I do have a compressor and likely to getting a better one shortly gx cs3 perhaps.

Killer deal on this, and more gun than the both of those combined. Not quite a bullpup, but half way there.

Killer deal on this, and more gun than the both of those combined. Not quite a bullpup, but half way there.
Like Long Gun said above, the Compatto is a semi bullpup, had one, fantastic ergos with Daystate quality.

Reactions: orangeokie
I have never shot an Akela but I've read reviews of it. I own 3 P35s which are very very similar to the Bullshark. The Akela is not regulated although some add a regulator to it. The Bullshark is regulated. The Akela has a pretty nice wood stock, the Bullshark is plastic. Both can be very accurate or less so, depending on how lucky you get, like other rifles in this price range. The Akela cocks at the rear, the Bullshark is in the middle.

I shoot left handed so rear cocking is a deal killer. If you shoot right handed it may depend on how much you value a wood stock. I made my own wood stocks for my P35s. If Crosman is now a source of parts for the Akela that could be another big advantage. SPA is difficult at best to get parts from. I suspect both guns will need some tweaking to give you their best. The SPAs come with the first stage spring set way too high, for instance. Simple to fix and get a 1 lb or less trigger pull.

My P35 in 177 gives me about 100 shots at 19 fpe. My P35 in 22 gives me about 60 shots at 32 fpe. My P35 in 25 gives me about 70 shots at 32 fpe (I turned it down). I don't know what the Akela would give you but that could provide some data for a comparison. I doubt it would give you more at similar power unless you add a regulator. But an Akela may give you enough shots to be a lot of fun.

Reactions: Nattboy
I highly recommend the Akela. Great value. Plenty of power and accurate. Walnut and steel! It is a looker as well. I call it the "poor man's" FX Wildcat. Lot's of useful videos from Sub 12 Airgunners . . .

1707259758019.jpeg

1707259810882.jpeg

Looks like we reviving a thread from September. But just in case you don't think P35s can be pretty too... This is my P35-25 with a power plenum on it and a home made wood stock. The body of the stock is made from wood from old church pews and the nose piece is a hunk of highly figured oak from the stump of my "killing tree" that died due to root rot. With the power plenum I am up to about 49 fpe for about 40 shots. The scope is not it's normal, it is a 8-32 Vector I use for target shooting. I'm testing a new barrel for it. It shot a 192 at the 30 yard challenge with the old one and that was after only a few targets following the retune. I shot the new barrel for the first time today. Too early to say which is better. The old one is pretty good.

Retuned P35-25 in new stock.jpg