Help me decide - 25 caliber: Marauder, Avenger, or Gauntlet

I think this topic is a moot point right now because as I see it, nothing's available. Not even the JSB 25 caliber pellets. Unless I'm looking in all the wrong places.

I know there are other ones out there, some reasonably priced, but I've done a lot of research and have drilled down to these three.

Don't bother suggesting that I look for used. I know there's great used rifles out there, but not for me. I like to buy new.

Any thoughts on the 3 listed?

I have all three you mention, in .25 and enjoy them all. As far as accuracy, they are pretty much the same. All easy enough to work on so I'll give you the downsides. (IMO)

Marauder: Never have been a fan of the safety... it just seem to be in the way to me... No reg, not externally adjustable

Avenger: Stock isn't weighted well. The butt stock is too light for the balance. Yeah I know some are adding weight to it...

Gauntlet: The stock is terrible. Why they would want to put that bottle shroud on it is beyond me... just throw it away. Not externally adjustable.

Personally, I think the Avenger squeaks past the others a bit with all the adjustments and the cocking lever vs the bolt, but that's just me.

Maybe this (and input from others) can help you make the decision. Enjoy!

I have the liberty which is the Avenger's older brother. I love the rifle but no replacement parts is a big red flag in my book. If it wasn't for Duy making valves with peek poppets it would be as useless as my aspen is now. The poppet is the problem point with any of the Nova Vista rifles which make the aspen/freedom, liberty, and the avenger. The marader on the other hand has a 5 year warranty and has replacement parts available. My vote is for the marader.

I have a Marauder in .25 caliber, Gen 2, and a few other PCPs, and I wouldn't trade a Marauder for either of the other choices. The earlier Marauders have green mountain barrels, and I like the Marauder trigger. Reams have been written about them, parts are plentiful if not cheap, readily available from OEM. The only PCP I reach for, before the .25, is a AA510, (I like the side lever) unless I want stealth, then it is the Marauder in .177 cal. I have the Gauntlet, .22, it just isn't as nice as the Marauders. A well cared for used Marauder in the market is a good value.

👍👍 Marauder. I have Marauders in all three calibers as well as a couple of Prods and other Marauder based guns like the Fortitude. No they are not perfect and lack some modern features but of the three you mentioned the Marauder was the only one that interested me. Due to their parts availability and the large after market support for the Crosmans guns I think it will be the Marauders that will be still alive and kicking a decade or more down the road. Based on what I’ve been reading and watching I don’t see the Avenger standing up to the test of time like the Marauders have. The Gauntlet? Who knows? Umerex hasn’t ever made anything I felt compelled to buy so they aren’t on my radar much. 

The wood stock Marauder .25 is in stock at Crosman’s website. Use the 25% off AGNATION discount. The Marauders will be coming out with new Turkish walnut stock later this summer or early fall. They look pretty sharp. 

As for pellets? Well we are all on the waiting list for those. 😔

I too have all three calibers in my Gen I Marauders.

I also have many, many, many pellets..

The .25:

F07FFBEC-6A75-475E-B639-0BC99AFE8A07.1618003753.jpeg

Another vote for the Marauder .25. I have them in all three calibers. 

I have an Avenger .25, too, and I like it. Mine doesn't have the leaking problem, but the regulator does have some creep. You can top off a Marauder several times with a small bottle, but not the Avenger... at least not to max PSI. Avenger reg is set to 2300 PSI to get same velocity as the Marauder with hammer adjustments.

Side lever vs bolt... side lever is nicer. Just about all other points go to the Marauder. 

Another vote for the .25 Mrod. As mentioned above, the trigger, parts, overall documentation, Crosman support, the list goes on. Yes it has its flaws, but for the price point it is worth every penny IMO. You can add some pretty amazing performance/power parts and upgrades too ( insert a Tim Hill shoutout here ). Easily disassembled and reassembled, and if you hit a snag or issue the sheer amount of knowledge and experience of the forum members is unbelievable. ( Bigragu saved me on more than one occasion) Def on my short list of my favorites to shoot regularly.