• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Help me choose the right rifle

Thank you to anyone who is giving me the time here with quality answers. I have had low end pellet and BB rifles for 40 years. My last gun that I purchased was 10 years ago and it was a Gammo 177 Single shot break barrel gun. I don’t mind this gun but I would like some thing possibly a little quieter one that Is possibly a little bit more powerful and accurate. I would like to move on to a BCP rifle now. I would like to move up to a 22/25 caliber as well. I have done some research and I am interested in the Umarex origin 25. I do have access to a scuba tank. The things that are important to me are: A dependable accurate gun that has few breakdowns, powerful enough to use for small game, and very quiet because I will be shooting a lot in my backyard as far as practicing and enjoying this with my kids.
Please direct me in the right way, I am looking to have this gun for a long time I am only an occasional user but want something that’s quality when I choose to use it.

i wouldnt say go for a avenger if your got low budget 22 cal with few aftermarkets parts like donny fl adapter for silencer, or look at the daystate revere as Emu said pterry damn nice guns but they are not cheap at 1300 or so if you got a few more bucks get new agt uragan 2 or look at the dreamline fx sells few on the forum used you could get or look at a taipan that great guns

Go for a Daystate Huntsman Regal or Revere, unregulated will serve you well, last time I checked Airguns of Arizona had a .22 Revere Ex condition 850. My most accurate PCP is a Huntsman Regal unregulated...third hand gun has given me no issues...HUNTSMANS ARE GREAT GUNS! I always recommend them and so do many others.
And it is super adequate for kids to learn to shoot !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: RM100GUY
Thank you to anyone who is giving me the time here with quality answers. I have had low end pellet and BB rifles for 40 years. My last gun that I purchased was 10 years ago and it was a Gammo 177 Single shot break barrel gun. I don’t mind this gun but I would like some thing possibly a little quieter one that Is possibly a little bit more powerful and accurate. I would like to move on to a BCP rifle now. I would like to move up to a 22/25 caliber as well. I have done some research and I am interested in the Umarex origin 25. I do have access to a scuba tank. The things that are important to me are: A dependable accurate gun that has few breakdowns, powerful enough to use for small game, and very quiet because I will be shooting a lot in my backyard as far as practicing and enjoying this with my kids.
Please direct me in the right way, I am looking to have this gun for a long time I am only an occasional user but want something that’s quality when I choose to use it.
Get a rifle with the mag in FRONT of your ears and the action in front of trigger so you don't have to reach back behind you each time like the Taipan Veteran, get something like the FX Crown

Reactions: N2 Shooter
With respect to your budget, consider the Guantlet 2 if you're looking at the Origin. If you have a means to pump to 4500 psi, you will get a higher shot count. Arguably, the Guantlet 2 should be more reliable as well. I haven't shot an Origin, but I've heard some issues with them holding air.

I've put a lot of ammo though my Guantlet 2 .25 and it's a great backyard target shooter with JSB 33.95 grain Heavies and plenty of power for pesting. It's also very quiet even without a moderator, at least by my standards. Makes a quick "pop" sound, not very loud or alarming.

Downsides is you might want to adjust the trigger (I'm fine with it the way it is), the gun is a bit larger/heavier than the Origin, and not everyone likes the big metal cocking bolt. I would also get a barrel band mod for it to keep your point of impact consistent each time you shoot it (known minor issue). But again, I think it's probably better than an Origin at about the same price point.

Last edited:

The max amount you are willing to pay will dictate the rifles that can be logically recommended. You can buy a complete rifle that will shoot better than you might expect for the same amount of money, or even less than just a barrel, probe and shroud kit for higher dollar guns.

@Trueshot These are my go to threads for this type of question. Great information in both threads. I hope they help you select a great airgun.

By the way welcome to AGN.

i wouldnt say go for a avenger if your got low budget 22 cal with few aftermarkets parts like donny fl adapter for silencer, or look at the daystate revere as Emu said pterry damn nice guns but they are not cheap at 1300 or so if you got a few more bucks get new agt uragan 2 or look at the dreamline fx sells few on the forum used you could get or look at a taipan that great guns

Thank you all for being so quick and helpful. I am going to look at those other threads as well I certainly appreciate it. I feel a little overwhelmed not sure how much I would like to spend but I probably should keep it a total package of under maybe $700. Maybe I should look more into the single shot break barrel guns again. The PCP just seems like the way to go.

Screenshot_20220922_101744.jpg

Brake barrels are a complete different league.

But they shoot.

Thank you all for being so quick and helpful. I am going to look at those other threads as well I certainly appreciate it. I feel a little overwhelmed not sure how much I would like to spend but I probably should keep it a total package of under maybe $700. Maybe I should look more into the single shot break barrel guns again. The PCP just seems like the way to go.
If you want a simple PCP that is accurate and easy for the kids to use and has traditional rifle feel and stock, all way below your budget then the Gamo Urban is a winner, you could get gun, scope and bipod all well below $700 ...Here's my kid using his :

TrueShot - What is the max fill pressure on the SCUBA tank you have access to?

I have never used a SCUBA tank to fill my PCP guns, so I am just guessing here, but if TrueShot has access to an existing SCUBA tank that is fairly large, and the PCP gun he buys doesn't need to be filled over 2700 to 2800 psi, wouldn't the essentially free SCUBA tank work fairly well for multiple fills? I seem to recall reading that the pressure in a big tank doesn't drop much at first with low volume fills. How many fills from the normal refill pressure point on the gun, a full SCUBA tank would you get on say an Avenger or a Gauntlet until the tank drops below 2700 psi?

There are several very accurate PCP rifles out there that would get you shooting with a good scope on it, some extra mags and quite a few pellets for quite a bit under $700. Having shot for decades with spring piston guns and single pump target guns, shooting my recently purchased PCP gun is a lot more enjoyable for me. Unless I only needed to fire 1 shot in a hunting or pest control situation, I am not going to be shooting my springers.

Last edited: