• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help looking for my first pcp?

Hello,

I am new to the forum and am unfortunately still looking to purchase my first pcp air rifle. I have had two not so great experiences so far; one Being with a product and the other being with the vendor it’s self. I first ordered a Karl puncher breaker silent from pyramid air. I was extremely pleased with the build quality of the gun at that price point, but could not get it to group tighter than a golf ball at 20yards. That being said a golf ball size group was with the guns preferred pellet, from a gun vice, and the air cylinder right in the middle of the shot curve. Considering I purchased this rifle for small game hunting at around 50 yards + this is not going to cut it so I returned the rifle for a refund. 

Thinking I had seen the error of my ways in trying to buy the lower end air rifle and expect big money performance. I did my research and ordered an FX dreamline classic from pyramid air as well as a hawke sidewinder scope. From all the reviews I had read this was the perfect tool at a semi reasonable price for what I was going to be using it for. I was so excited waiting for the rifle to come off of back order at pyramid air only to see it pushed well past it’s first estimated in stock date and then further past still. After a call to customer service and learning that they really have no way of knowing when it will arrive I ended up canceling that order also. 

I am now back it the market for a pcp air rifle. I should have turned to a forum in the first place to get really non sponsored and experienced air gunners opinions on what would work best for my application. 
to help keep this from turning into any more of a novel I’ll break down what I’m looking for in a must have and would like to have list. THANK YOU for bearing with my rambling if you have made it to this point. Lol

price point: up to $1500

MUST HAVE

-.25 cal

- 40+ fp capable 

- air regulator

- picatiny or weaver optic rail

- extremely accurate

- threaded for silencer (does not have to include)

- repeater

- saftey leaver accessible from firing position (not like Kral PBS)

PREFER

- compact design 

- multi cal capable (FX liner system or eql)

- bipod attachment point

- match grade or elc. Trigger

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. IT IS MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!

1581352832_16886739555e418780032619.12063169_Taipanvet.JPG
Taipan Veteran Long .25 cal.

Powerful (externally adjustable power to 60+ fpe)

Regulated

10 shot magazine

Excellent trigger

Excellent accuracy

Picatinny rail

* Fixed caliber (i.e. non adjustable)

~~~~~~~~

The wildcat from a factory has a bit more power then the dl. However with the new power plenum for the dl that power can be made up should you want it later down the line. The dl bullpup form has a further back cocking lever due to the inherent nature of its modularity, the wildcat is a bullpup through and through. Im not sure if you can change calibers on the wildcat though like you can on the dl, someone who owns one can chime in on that. 

I love my Cricket in .25. Really a solid gun and quite accurate. For me, it shoots sub MOA all day long out to about 70 yards, and then about 1 to 1.5 MOA from 70-100 yards, but I think that is probably just because I am not the best shot. Only complaint with it is it's a bit heavy at 10.5 lbs (complete kit) for lugging around in a field.

I'm currently looking at the Wildcat for my next hunting gun due to the lighter weight and side lever action being farther forward. Only downside is that the accuracy MAY not be quite as good as the Cricket from the research I have done. Don't get me wrong, the Wildcats seem quite accurate, but maybe just shy of where the Cricket is in terms of accuracy/consistency.

Does anyone have experience with the Brocock bantam sniper high lite in .25. It really seems to check every box for me. I really like that it Looks to have the ergonomics of a rifle even as far as a bolt action which will come much more naturally to me than a side lever. Also it has a Huma regulator factory. Any thoughts on accuracy and or what the trigger is like?

I have both a wildcat mk1 and a power tuned cricket both in .25. They are both great guns and are both very accurate. The wildcat is faster for follow up shots but the cricket is a beast of a gun. The cricket is putting out 67 ft-lbs and is just as accurate as the wildcat. I've heard the cricket shoots slugs really well but I haven't tested this out yet. It does have the power to push those higher friction slugs. It's a hard choice between the two but if I had to choose one, it would be the wildcat only because of the mid-cocking lever. Now if the wildcat had the power of the cricket, I wouldn't own a cricket. 

I have a bunch of guns and have been doing PCP for 3-4 yrs now. Not long compared to some folks, but long enough.

My collection:

.45 Winchester Model 70, Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50mm Mil
.30 FX Impact, Athlon Helos BTR 6-24x50mm Mil, Side Shot large capacity magazines, tuned for 100fpe!
.22 AA S510 Carbine, Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50mm Mil, Huma Reg, Cross Drilled Pot, Lightened Hammer
.22 Weihrauch HW98, Athlon Helos BTR 6-24x50mm Mil
.22 MrodAir Airmax, Burris 2-7x32mm, Tuned, Huma Reg, Guided breech block
.177 Edgun R5M, Athlon Helos BTR 6-24x50mm Mil
.177 Artemis PP700S-A, Vortex Venom Red Dot, Tuned, Huma Reg, Guided breech block, LDC

The .30 FX Impact is by far my favorite.

1581364860_3943244225e41b67c0438f3.81486120_Impact.jpg

20yds is nothing, stretch it's legs out to 100yds. I just changed the Impact over to slugs and am grouping dime sized 5 shot groups at 85yds. I've got a little more tuning to do, but the Impact shouldn't have any problems doing dimes at 100yds and pushing over 100fpe.

The Impact is expensive, but it's so worth it.

The Edgun is another nice rifle, but it can't stand up to a modern Impact.

Others have their favorites too, but IMHO, the Impact is the top of the heap and not as expensive as other top of the line guns.

You also need to budget for a nice CF tank. Dragging a SCUBA around and only getting 3400psi is a drag. I've been getting by with a SCUBA tank, but it's a PITA and my next purchase is the Great White.