• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help I need Quiet””””

I finally got a Crown in 25 cal, it’s everything that I’ve read on here” no one has mentioned it barks a bit. I’m in a residential area but I love to shoot” a couple times a week, recently I purchased a 22 barrel kit to cut down on noise thinking lower cal and less power would let me shoot more... My accuracy is all over the place now? (1” groups at 25 yards) I’m sure I installed the barrel kit right” it’s very simple... I want to check the barrel liner but the air stripper is on so tight I’m scared to take it off... any suggestions?

my 2nd question to the community is what’s out there to quiet down the Crown? I didn’t find the sliding shroud as effective as I’d hoped. I’ve seen a picture of a shroud & moderator but can’t find it again, is the Donny FL stuff effective? I hate to spend money twice guys!

Yes I have a Sumo on my Crown .25 and it is very quiet. You will need to buy the adapter for the shroud to give you the 1/2" thread the moderator needs. My Crown shows 74 dB at 1 meter. Plenty quiet for the backyard fun without disturbing the neighbors.

I keep the shroud locked back. Just replace the fitting at the end of the shroud with the one from Donny and screw on the mod. Pretty easy. If you don't know how to get the stock fitting off the end of the shroud, we can get you there.

Crusher

Yes DonnyFL LDCs are good, I have two of his LDC’s and they both did what they were intended to do but most important is to get the right one, on both mine my Wildcat.25 and Bully .30 the cocking lever is louder when you load a pellet then the shot is leaving the barrel, I have video to prove it with my Bully .30.

There are a few other Nice LDCs makers out there that from what I have read and heard about that are just as good but I’m only familiar with the Sumo and Emperor by DonnyFL and that’s why I recommend his.

I have a 25 cal Crown as well and I've experimented with shroud extended vs shroud collapsed.
I have the DonnyFL Ronin and Tatsu in 25 caliber. The Tatsu installed with the shroud collapsed sounds about the same as the stock shroud extended.

The Ronin on the other hand really quiets the gun down and makes it very back yard friendly.

That being said, the Ronin is listed at 10.4 oz in weight. The Sumo is listed at 5.6 oz in weight.
I went ahead and bought the Sumo from the Black Friday deal UtahAirguns is running now because of barrel droop. I want to reduce the overall weight, especially the muzzle weight of the gun. The Ronin is a little overkill I think (looks cool though). It would be fine for a fixed barrel like on the Impact, but having a 10 oz weight dangling at the end of my Crown barrel is something I'm not 100% comfortable with. A 5.6oz moderator on the other hand is not bad. I'll see how it performs vs the Ronin.

Donny moderators are nice (and moderately priced)... but as Coldair mentioned, if you want comparable noise reduction, but with significantly smaller size and lighter weight, the Huggett Snipe, while more expensive, is an awesome and very effective moderator!

For example, on my Bantam Sniper .22, the Huggett Snipe was about 2 db quieter than my Shogun, but is only 1/2 the size, and just 64% of the weight (no barrel droop).

Comparing my three moderators, on my Bantam Sniper .22:

Only you can decide what personal value to place on smaller size and lighter weight at a higher price. For myself, I like my moderators to be as small and lightweight as possible - buy once, cry once, as they say.

FYI I must add that when you mod the DonnyFL it can be just as effective as the Huggett but it will still be heavier but I personally like the fit and finish better with the DonnyFL all you have to do is wrap scotch brite material around. I have done so many quiet tests comparisons and have a drawer full of these its ridiculous! NOTHING short of having a custom made Allen Zasadny LDC or shroud is quieter than a DonnyFL EMPEROR. THAT I CAN SAY!

CA

IMHO for the best non Allen Zasadny custom tailored specifically to your gun quiet kit, the Huggett shroud/LDC kit specifically for your gun and caliber would be my recommendation if quiet is most important to you but it is not as pretty as DonnyFL's but the Huggett full shroud LDC kit is lighter too. That is if money is no object for you because they can run from as little as $350 to more than $500.

I have the full kits on my 22 Daystate Airwolf and 22 HW100 and 22 Cricket shorty and they are 3 of my most quietest almost silent PCPs and don't negatively affect their accuracy at all in any way whatsoever but they are the UGLIEST added on things on the guns IMHO.

CA

NOTHING short of having a custom made Allen Zasadny LDC or shroud is quieter than a DonnyFL EMPEROR. THAT I CAN SAY!

CA

Yes, the Emperor should be very quiet. That is, if you don't mind a moderator that's 2" in diameter, 10" long, and weighs approaching 1 lb.! And the potential barrel droop.

Can you approximate the number of decibels of additional moderating, on any particular rifle, between the Emperor and the Shogun?

FYI I must add that when you mod the DonnyFL it can be just as effective as the Huggett but it will still be heavier... all you have to do is wrap scotch brite material around. 

CA

CA... perhaps wrapping scotch bright material around the inside? But is there any room inside for more material? Or, do you mean the outside of the moderator? A detailed description would be very helpful, as I'm trying to get my Tatsu to be quieter. But if that means wrapping scotch brite around the outside of it, then I'll just live with the Tatsu as is - the difference of a two or three db noise reduction is not significant.

From anecdotal reports that I've read, it seems that the length of a moderator can have a greater effect on noise reduction than the girth. So long and thin may be more effective than short and fat. And judging by my Huggett Snipe... the extensive venting at the rifle-end of the moderator seems to have a noteworthy effect in moderating the report.