Help finding new PCP that likes slugs.

So I mainly use my Airguns to eliminate squirrels, groundhogs, and other nuisance pest. My Benjamin Marauder really liked the 19gr NSA .22 slugs, but they are no longer being made. I am trying to tune for either the 17.5 or 20.2 grain slugs, but currently it appears that the flat nose and dished back is not preferred by my setup. I have not been following PCP for a long time, as returned to school to work on degree completion. I would like to find something that might be more slug friendly. 

Looking for backyard friendly noise level

Accurate with either 20.2 or 17.5 NSA slugs

usage distance approximately 75yards

can be hand pumped, as I don't have tank and compressor. 

lower cost would be preferable, but would be interested in knowing other options.

Edit: 

I use in town, and although the neighbors don't care about getting ride of these pest, noise and over penetration I consider an issue. While I know normal pellets will work, HP slugs open up much better and drop more energy into target if it does pass through. I have had a .30 bobcat, .25 streamline, .25 AF talon P, and find .22 to provide plenty of power will good shot placement. 

Go rid off .25 and .30 due to not having tank and compressor. 

PS. Where have all the airguns gone? It appears that none of the stores have a good selection of anything in stock.

Thanks,

Dave

If you want to keep it simple just buy a gun that will shoot 33gr 25 cal pellets at 850+fps. Everything that enters a backyard setting is dead. Then you will never have the aggravation of chasing the slug crap that just isn’t necessary in your situation. I have killed more raccoons than I can count. Hammering them with a 33gr pellet is no different than hitting them with a slug. Those 33gr pellets are some BMF’ers and you don’t have to kiss most 25 cal guns butts to shoot them well.

My FX Impact (both in the MkII and M3) with the Slug liner loves the NSA 0.22 24.8g 218 slugs and shoots them extremely accurately. I'd previously sold off all of my 0.22 rifles several years ago but this great slug shooter gave me an excuse to put a 0.22 back in the safe and I'm very glad I did. It's also very quiet with a DonnyFL Sumo (nearly silent with a Ronin).

If you want to keep it simple just buy a gun that will shoot 33gr 25 cal pellets at 850+fps. Everything that enters a backyard setting is dead. Then you will never have the aggravation of chasing the slug crap that just isn’t necessary in your situation. I have killed more raccoons than I can count. Hammering them with a 33gr pellet is no different than hitting them with a slug. Those 33gr pellets are some BMF’ers and you don’t have to kiss most 25 cal guns butts to shoot them well.

Im with this guy. 75 yards with a jsb 34gr pellet at 850-950fps is deadly and hardly any difference with slugs, unless that is your going heavy. Ive killed coyotes here in Az at 80 yards with that pellet at 960fps. Shot placement is everything even with slugs. 

It's always the balancing out of all the different requirements that I have for a gun...!

Why can't I just have my cake and eat it too?!? 😣

Yeah, Frank's 33-grainer suggestions seems like it would save you a lot of testing-headaches (unless testing is part of the gun-fun for you! 😊.)

The 33-gr solution will require you to deliver about twice as much power to turn that lead chunk into a lead rocket.... 25FPE vs. 50FPE....

A lot more air in (into the tank after just a few shots — the OP uses a pump).

A lot more air out (noisily out of the muzzle — the OP shoots in the yard, so noise might be an issue).

Very interesting discussion. 👍🏼 Following! 😊 

Matthias

almost every gun likes a slow expensive projectile lol, including firearms ... its mostly a matter of good trajectory .. unless you got a gun that will push a slug fast enough to a decent trajectory your not going to do much with it other than be a paper target warrior lol ...so all dat 'enoigy' from 'swugs' is a pretty mute point unless you got the fancy eurotrash 3000 gun that can push them legitimately... more or less lol ... there are a few though ive seen in the midrange that are overpowered that should do ok .. then the only issue is paying firearm ammo prices for lead pellets.. brilliant concept if you ask me lol ..

I agree with triggertreat. If you’re dead set on slugs, no matter what gun someone talks you into, the chase will be on to find what works in your gun with your settings. Your Mrod was getting the job done so you might as well start tying slugs from everyone. You will need them if you decide to buy a new gun anyway. You may have just got lucky and stumbled into that slug that worked with your settings on your Mrod. But that doesn’t happen often. It sucks when they quit making something that works. Most of us have been there even when it comes to boots or tools. 

A little help for your slug search.... 😊

The attached Slug Table for .22cal includes:

▪Slugs from 11 manufacturers

▪376 variations (weight, diameter, shape) 

▪Prices as low as 5 or 6 cents by NSA (with 35x variations; H&N: 10x variations; JSB: 3x)

▪Samplers and sample packs are available from: NSA; H&N; AVS

▪ Diameters: usually only .217 and .218, however NSA offers 5 different diameters, so shooters can fit the slug size better to their barrels

▪Weights from as low as 17.5gr (NSA) and 15gr (Griffin) and as high as 40/44gr (VK, Griffin) and 55gr (MHP)

Matthias

❌ Attachment: Slug Table .22

download.png
View attachment PROJECTILES. Slug Table .22cal. 053.1623019838.pdf

Thanks for the info everyone! 

I felt pretty lucky when my marauder shot slugs better than most airguns right out of the gate, but was looking to upgrade to a nicer rifle at some point. The discontinuing of the slugs my M rod liked was the push I needed to make the leap.

I guess that I will be also moving up to a bottle and compressor as well, and will be looking through the forum post to find a practical setup for my needs. 

I have ordered the airgun, so I will move further discussion to a new post.