• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help Deciding On First .22 PCP

"MJGoebel"So I pulled the trigger, pun intended, on a .22 Maximus Hunter today and have a question. 
Should I perform a good clean and lube prior to shooting? I would like some feedback on how you all prep a new PCP shooter right out of the box. I planned on checking for pressure when it arrives and checking for leakage over a day or so. Next, I was going to give the barrel a good cleaning. I have silicone, pellgun and regular 3n1 oil. Any advice on thread lock also?
Thanks all,
Mikey

As for cleaning when brand new. All I did was run a patch through with a little ballistol, then 2 dry patches. Wasn't very dirty. Others with more air gun experience may have better advice.

Here is two 5 rd groups from 25 yds this past Sunday. Beeman devastator 16.36 on the left. JSB 15.89 on the right.
1529711882_20517620845b2d8d0aabbc64.25710615_20180622_195214.jpg

Do expect to really clean the barrel. You might get lucky and it's already clean, but most of the time there's shipping gunk in the barrel to prevent rust. Get the crud out, shoot it 30 to 50 times to get some lead back in the barrel (I know that sounds weird, but in airguns, it'll reach an equilibrium with lead in the barrel for peak accuracy) then to shoot and see how it groups. DON"T clean it after that until accuracy starts to suffer, then go through the same procedure. That might be 100 shots, it might be 10,000 shots. You'll have to get experience with your gun.

That's one of the things I love about airguns. I just got back from the range and I don't have to clean anything. Not like the PB types out there that have to clean every time they shoot, I can shoot and forget. Really nice!

Maximus Euro version is on my list of want items. Low power for hunting in confined spaces where you want minimal damage. really quiet too. That'll probably be my next gun.

Welcome to the insanity, just budget for pellets. . . . . . .

The Maxi and hand pump arriving Friday. Woo Hoo!!

Any suggestions on maintenance of the hand pump? Yes its an eBay Chinese pump but its all I can afford at this time. I am putting an air inlet desiccant dryer/filter together now. I'm familiar with the pumping method and avoiding heat build up. I am wondering how you guys maintain and lubricate your pump. How often should I break it down and clean/lubricate it? I have 30w silicone oil but no grease.

Mikey

The Maxi Hunter and hand pump both came in yesterday. I checked the pressure out of the box and it held overnight. I assembled the pump and pressured her up to 1000 this morning and it held all day. I did a good clean on the barrel, it wasn't as bad as I expected. Got the scope mounted and aligned. I pressured her up to 2000 and shot some JSB 18s to rough zero the scope and start leading the barrel. I was pleasantly surprised, it was not as loud as I expected. However, a TKO will be the very next purchase. 

Pumping from 1000 to 2000 was a piece of cake. I was worried about the effort at 60 yrs, but pumping won't be a problem for me.

So far I'm liking this gun a lot. Slim, light and mounts very nicly. Ill mod the trigger and install a PA/Spring as funds permit. Accuracy yet to be determined. 

Thank you to all that responded to this post. I greatly appreciate your feedback, advice, experiences and suggestions that helped this noobie decide on his first PCP.

Mikey

MJGoebel

The Maxi and hand pump arriving Friday. Woo Hoo!!

Any suggestions on maintenance of the hand pump? Yes its an eBay Chinese pump but its all I can afford at this time. I am putting an air inlet desiccant dryer/filter together now. I'm familiar with the pumping method and avoiding heat build up. I am wondering how you guys maintain and lubricate your pump. How often should I break it down and clean/lubricate it? I have 30w silicone oil but no grease.

Mikey

Congrats on your new rifle! Glad you like it so far. I love mine. Like yours, barrel was not dirty at all when new. If your rifle is anything like mine you'll be very happy with the accuracy out to 50 yds.. I only have 500 rds through mine, but it's looking like the JSB 15.89 is probably going to be her pellet of choice.

Good deal on selecting your "1st" - and I am sure it will be the last airgun you ever want/need- pre-charged airgun!

My "Hunter" model liked the 15.9 best, maybe? It grouped so many pellets well as long as it was anything common it would hunt and if using JSB target work for a few shots anyway. If you can take the length the 6.5 TKO is outstanding even if you up the power a bit. Love the weight and point-ability of what looked just slightly long but handles very well.

Mine needed ( really gritty) the pellet probe area , long section inside breech not the pellet lead or such, polished up just a bit and the trigger will never be match grade but a usable trigger as intended. Handed it to a neighbor who has never seen an "air filled airgun" he hit a 1" spinner at 50 first try and handed it back after touching the muzzle break like it might be red hot and said "hum", I think he liked it.

Keep us posted.

John

Well I gotta say I'm just darn impressed with my Maxi H! I pumped her up to 2k and went out to zero the scope today. Here's what I did with six targets three shots each. The scope was right where I wanted it at 10 yds. It was blazing hot today. By target six I had sweat in my eyes and dripping on my glasses. I'm surprised it grouped so well as the trigger needs a winch to engage. I'm not gonna worry about the trigger mod until I get a couple of hundred rounds through her though. 

I wish I had a chrono, I'd love to know what the FPS is on the JSB 18s. I'm sure loving the accuracy. I can only shoot 10 yds at home but am heading to the farm next week. Ill see what she does a little farther out. 

Fantastic shooter so far...

Mikey

1530745268_14138953715b3d51b40d2f90.47890375_MH 07-03-2018.jpg