• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help Deciding On First .22 PCP

I have been pounding the forums and have finally narrowed my first PCP down to a Benjamin Discovery or Maximus. I have made this decision based on several criteria. First, the 2000 lb fill and using a hand pump exclusively to fill it, second, the mods I plan on installing (PA/Spring, Trigger Screws, Moderator) and third, the potential FPE and accuracy. I plan on hunting, out to 50 yds, occasionally but will spend most of my time target shooting. I'm ok with a shot count of ~20 as long as the curve is reasonably flat. 

That said, I'm leaning towards the Discovery for the additional published FPS/FPE and wood stock but have not ruled out the Maximus. I would like to hear from those who have owned both guns or have had the opportunity to shoot them both. Are there advantages which would sway my decision either way? 

Thank you all in advance,

Mikey

Hi Mikey,

Don't know if this is over budget, but Airguns of Arizona has a $500 special on a .22 Walther Maximathor. Should probably get it myself before recommending it. Overall powerful and accurate, and seems to be a good bang (they're noted for being slightly louder:) for buck if this helps....one member or two were shooting things 80+ yards.
ciao,
Jonathan

I have a Maximus in .177 and a Sheridan 2260MB which is a Co2 Disco. They are both well made and have a quality non toy feel to them. We have shot the snot out of the 2260 and it has been solid, I ended up doing a shorter 18" barrel on it but the factory barrel really liked JSB pellets. I just recently got the Maximus over the memorial day sale, .22 is still out of stock but the price was right that I just went with the .177. Not to sound smug but I have a couple marauders and I was not expecting a whole lot from the Maximus, I was wrong. It is solid and well made. It is a long rifle but it is very light and handy, it shoulders well and I get a better cheek weld with it than the 2260. It came out of the box shooting HARD for 25 shots. It was doing 20 foot pounds with JSB 10.3grn pellets. I put a .42 hammer spring in it and I cut the noise in half, doubled the shot count and made it a 15ft/lb gun. I have more details in these threads, I have over 500 pellets through the Maximus and it is a winner. Oh and the sweet spot for my Maximus like a lot of them is 1,800 down to 1,100 or so, not really a need to pump to 2K if you are hand pumping.

Got my Maximus, first impressions[/QUOTE]https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/got-my-maximus-first-impressions-2/embed/#?secret=yC5CIDNdlE

More Maximus updates[/QUOTE]https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/more-maximus-updates/embed/#?secret=ooQM33krIE

My first and only pcp is a Maximus in .22. Only had it about 2 months or so and I love it. Haven't had the time to really put it through its paces but it is very accurate. Not pellet picky either. One ragged hole at 20-25 yds. It opens up to around 1" at 50 yds, but that has more to do with me rather than the rifle. Best 50 yd five round group I've gotten so far was .565". She likes the Beeman Devastator 16.36 gr. and JSB 15.89's. Haven't tried the JSB 18.13 yet. I have to get a tin or 2. One other note, it's very easy to pump up. A child can do it easily.

Have had discovery's both .177 and .22 stock and modded. Also owned a .22 maximus "hunter" package ( w/scope & threaded barrel adapter).

I like the maximus a lot better!
But, that is due to the outstanding barrel, just about any decent pellet shot very well indeed. NEVER have I seen a stock discovery in any cal. that shot as well. The extra 2" of barrel will also help w/power & efficiency. Maybe just mine was golden but others report similar findings. I'm not sure if the discxovery is using the new barrel just cut shorter or not.
I was getting about 10 good shots per fill to stay w/in a 20fps spread.
If you are accustomed to 4oz 2 stage triggers you wont like either but you know that.
Being a lover of wood on a rifle I would buy another maximus but not another discovery. Maximus didnt suffer from "floppy bolt" syndrome and fells better to shoulder fast. And did I say it grouped? With a regulator ( wouldnt do it to one tho ) and a trigger it could have been a competing target rifle, crazy for the money. Light and for those that care a 3 year warranty.

Keep us posted as you shoot along,
John

Haven't shot it alot. Only 220 rds, but here is my best 5 round group so far at 50 yds with my Maximus in .22
1529101030_4821343675b243ae6bba472.77787099_20180615_181220.jpg

"MJGoebel"
"Locker50"Haven't shot it alot. Only 220 rds, but here is my best 5 round group so far at 50 yds with my Maximus in .
Hey Locker, that's not bad at 50, good shooting!! Do you know what FPS you're getting with the 18s? Looks like you got a sweet shooter there.
Mikey
MJ, thankyou. As for fps, no. I don't have a chrony. Those were JSB 15.89 gr.. I know, the marker bled and made the 5 look like an 8.

"Locker50"
"MJGoebel"
"Locker50"Haven't shot it alot. Only 220 rds, but here is my best 5 round group so far at 50 yds with my Maximus in .
Hey Locker, that's not bad at 50, good shooting!! Do you know what FPS you're getting with the 18s? Looks like you got a sweet shooter there.
Mikey
MJ, thankyou. As for fps, no. I don't have a chrony. Those were JSB 15.89 gr.. I know, the marker bled and made the 5 look like an 8.
Ah even better locker, the 15s shoot flatter. Sweet...

Mikey

So I pulled the trigger, pun intended, on a .22 Maximus Hunter today and have a question. 

Should I perform a good clean and lube prior to shooting? I would like some feedback on how you all prep a new PCP shooter right out of the box. I planned on checking for pressure when it arrives and checking for leakage over a day or so. Next, I was going to give the barrel a good cleaning. I have silicone, pellgun and regular 3n1 oil. Any advice on thread lock also?

Thanks all,

Mikey

"MJGoebel"So I pulled the trigger, pun intended, on a .22 Maximus Hunter today and have a question. 
Should I perform a good clean and lube prior to shooting? I would like some feedback on how you all prep a new PCP shooter right out of the box. I planned on checking for pressure when it arrives and checking for leakage over a day or so. Next, I was going to give the barrel a good cleaning. I have silicone, pellgun and regular 3n1 oil. Any advice on thread lock also?
Thanks all,
Mikey
Congrats on your purchase! I believe you will be happy with the Maximus. Especially if your on a limited budget like me. I didn't get the hunter package with scope though. I have a feeling you may be disappointed with the scope, as most rifle/scope package deals especially in this price range, the scopes are usually crap.
Anyway, my came with 900 psi and held at that till my hand pump came from Amazon a few days later.
Like I told you shoots the JSB 15.89 well, and also 16.36 Beeman devastator. Just got some 18.13 JSB, but haven't shot them yet. Tomorrow hopefully.