Help deciding on Air Gun.

I live on a small plot of land (2 acres) and we have neighbors (which seem to be more and more liberal) and we have a major problem with pigs rooting up our yard. There is a very hilly and wooded area behind my home (on the land I own) and I would like to quietly take some pigs. I looked at bow hunting but I worry about a pig running off and ending up in someones front yard. I also don't have experience bow hunting. Shooting rifles on the other hand is something I have experience with. I saw some videos on you tube of people taking pigs with .25 cal to .50 cal PCPs. I understand shot placement matters and I will have to be able to place head shots in order to accomplish this. I will also want to practice a lot so I need a gun that is accurate and quiet to practice in the "backyard". The 3rd parameter I am looking at it is power. That said I am thinking .25 or .30 cal to keep the noise down. I have seen the FX guns impact, crown, and the upcoming wildcat .30 cal look like contenders. The posts about reliability makes me nervous so I have also been looking at EDGUN both the Leshiy and Matador and the Rapid Air Weapons HM1000x in either 25 or 30. I have heard that the RAW can be loud and that it is heavy. I have also seen some peoples videos where they had extra baffles added. I am wondering what the consensus on these rifles is or are there other rifles I should be looking at?

For EDgun rifles I’d only be looking at the R5M platform in 25 caliber and I’d consider the R5M long as the long can be tuned north of 60 ft lbs using the 33g heavies. The Leshiy just won’t have enough power and is single shot and you want to have the ability for a quick follow up shot. 

I have a 25 cal FX Crown and that can generate approximately 50 ft lbs in stock form using the 33g heavies. 

If I had to choose between the Matador and Crown for field work, I would opt for the Matador as it’s way more robust. 

That’s what I can offer based on the guns I own and what you’re asking about. 

Remember, the larger the caliber, the more noise it will make. Make sure the gun you choose has the ability to add on an aftermarket moderator. I know DonnyFL has them up to 30 cal. Also, most big bore calibers past 30 cal can be quite long and unwieldy for field use due to their excessive barrel lengths and smaller shot counts. 

How big are these hogs? Small ones you could even take with a powerful 22 cal but larger ones you’ll need a larger caliber. Also, what distance do you think you’ll be shooting at?

I am no expert on this, but I believe that any of the reputable PCPs in .25 will do the job. I have a Power Tuned Kalibrgun Cricket in .25 that does about 62fpe and is very accurate. If I was hunting pigs, I would hit them in the head, just behind the ear as it quarters away from me. 

Check out the Edguns, Kalibrguns, or Taipans. Put a DonnyFL Sumo on it and your neighborhoods will only hear the squeals, maybe. 

If you have two acres that is a long distance to hunt and play with. You'll probably regret a smaller caliber.

I would recommend at least a .357/9mm Benjamin Bulldog with DonnyFl Emperor and threaded adaptor.

This way you don't need to limit your shots to only close distances hunting wild pigs with smaller calibers.

Reason I recommend a .357/9mm in your case... Use the Nosler bullets to hunt with and JSBs for target.

You surely don't want to risk the pigs running off wounded to your neighbor's property to die with a smaller caliber.

With the money you save you can buy a good fill set up and lots of ammo.

CA

Wow didn't think I would get this many responses. Thanks for all the input. 

People really seem to like the Cricket. I am not sure how I would like the charging handle way back by my ear though. As for getting a .357 I don't think that is a great idea. I am on top of a hill and the land slopes down at a pretty good rate about 75 yards from the house you can't see the house any more. It is also covered in vegetation. I would be worried about the bullet going farther and hitting something I wouldn't want to hit. The longest shot I would have would be about 50 yards unless I started to clear the land. The pigs vary in size all the way up to 150 lbs or so I would guess. 

It also seems like .25 cal guns are more recommended than .30. Is there a reason for that or is it because there is a larger selection of .25 cal guns to choose from. 

Thanks!

I brought back a older topic/thread on the PCP airgun thread so you can see how quiet a Bully .30 cal can be with the right LDC on it, this is just so you get a idea how quiet the big bores can be. I think the 30 or 357 is the way to go if you have never shot a pig before and to me it’s just a better chance of not having one run away to another property, sure it can be done with a 22 or 25 if you have put in the time and practice and are sure you can get a clean head shot that is placed in the right spot, myself I would use at least a 30 when starting out. This is just MHO.

Think more folks own .25 cals then own .30 cals so they are more comfortable with the .25 over the 30 plus throw in the noise factor, pellet cost and the 25 wins hands down but with the rightLDC the 30 can be just as quiet but pellet costs are still more, also where a person lives and has to shoot also falls into place, some of us live in the country so noise isn’t a concern but most airgunners live in suburbs or towns where being quiet is number one on thier list. A lot goes into figuring out what brand airgun to get and what caliber to get it in when it’s your 1st one.

Good luck on what airgun you decide to go with and keep us up on how the pig situation is doing.

Jim F.

Scap, If you really want a .30 cal........ I've shot a friends .30 cal FX Boss and it was pretty darn quiet. Other than that I've had no experience with a .30 cal. I couldn't imagine anything being more quiet in .30 cal?

I have a friend down in Florida that has had way more airguns than I have and he prefers the Daystate Wolverine .303 over the Boss? He's dispatched about 4 coyotes with it. But looking at the huge moderator on the FX, I would imagine it to be your quietest bet?

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/FXBoss.html

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/precharged-pcp-rifles/daystate-wolverine-2-hi-lite-.303-air-rifle/

I would say that pellet cost and versatility is a factor. Also, my .25 Cricket hits at about the same FPE as a regular .30. The way I see it, I get .30 performance out of a cheaper platform. I would personally set up at no further than 30 yards and hit them either between the eyes or just behind ear quartering away. Look up on line and study the head anatomy and figure out a good POI. 

Don’t know how well a Polymag would perform on a pig’s head, but they are devastating out of the Cricket. Otherwise, try the Metalmags. 

As for the charging lever, I used to think it was a problem, but got used to it rather quickly. Frankly, I think it’s a non issue. There are always compromises to make. 

The Boss, Rainstorm II are both nice .30’s or if you want a heavy hitter the Texan Carbine in 30 puts out around 225FPE depending on bullet and it’s only 39” long and around 7-8 pounds but the downfall is it’s a single shot. The fun of finding that right airgun to fit the bill.

I agree with the 30 yards and if I was practicing for hogs I’d make 25-40 yards my go to distances with a airgun, put out targets at all those different distances and practice practice practice untill I could hit a tennis ball size target at all different angles at those distances.

Seeing how not having a dead pig end up in the left leaning neighbors yard is of the highest importance I would not go with anything less than a .357 or a high powered AF Texan in .308 or larger and making good head shots only. Heck I have had squirrels make it into the neighbors yard with good heart lung shots with a 30fpe .22cal.

As for worrying about what happens to your projectile down range, make a back stop and bait in front of it with corn. The hogs will be right where you want them for a shot.

For quiet I have a .357 Winchester Model 70-35 with a DonnyFL Emperor on it and is about 92db in front of the muzzle. The is pretty backyard friendly for your 2 acres. I assume you will be shooting from a snipers hide in the house or garage?

It is pushing the JSB .35cal pellets at 135 fpe and will stack them at 50 yards. Now it will not do that with cast bullets though. I have tried 6 or 7 bullets in it with not nearly accurate enough results for 50 yard head shots on pigs.

Sure you can kill a pig with lower power and smaller caliber, but not really worth the risk considering the NO DEAD PIG beyond your property line requirement. And I own a .25 cal and .30 HP rifles that can stack pellets at 50 yards. Just not worth the risk of messing up a really sweet hunting spot and lots of BBQ pork.

My property is long and narrow and the back is down in a valley where there are no houses and I could go across property lines to retrieve the hog if I have to. I absolutely do not want to be heard. Once a dear was caught on a fence and a police officer had to put the deer out of its misery. There were lots of comments on next door about did you hear that gun shot... I want to avoid that at all cost so I think I should stick to the lower calibers .25 or .30. I will likely be shooting from a clearing about half way down the hill from my property. I can't see any homes from there so it is unlikely people will see me. As for a backstop it isn't really needed as behind that is the bottom of the valey (i.e. a dried creek bed.) The top of the clearing is higher up so I will be shooting down on the pigs even from "ground level". 

I really like the FX guns I am just worried about the problems that I have seen with them mentioned by members of the forum. I like the impact and the crown in that if I decide I picked the wrong caliber or want to do something else I can just swap the barrel. I am kind of leaning toward the impact. I think it is an ugly gun but it checks all the boxes. Small form factor even with long barrels, cocking lever in the middle of the gun, decent trigger, quiet, good magazine capacity, and accurate. It also seems like the impact would be more durable than a crown because the barrel isn't as exposed. If this goes well this likely won't be my last air rifle so I can get something with a nice wood or laminate stock later.

Are there really a lot of issue with the FX guns. Are they real issues or user imposed issues. I don't really see another gun checking off the boxes but I also don't want to spend 2k on a rifle to be disappointed. Youtube likely shows the best of the gun and I am hear to learn about the worst (or at least get a beat on reality).

I have a .30 cal Impact and a .25 cal Crown. Both great rifles, but they IMHO do not have the power to be hunting large pigs. I say that as the grandson of a hog farmer and have seen lots of hogs and pigs put down with a 22lr at point blank range to the forehead and butchered. A .30 cal Fx is putting out about 80-85 fpe. That is 20-25% less than a 22lr and I wouldn't hunt pigs with a .22lr, but I believe in always bringing enough gun....lol