• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help choosing a scope with a budget of $1,000

I currently own an athlon Aries ETR 4.5-30. I love this scope but I would like to try another long-range scope. Currently looking at the Vortex viper PST Gen 2 5x25, vortex strike eagle 5-25, or element titan 5-25. These can all be bought for around $800

I'm trying to find out which scope has the best glass. Looking for first focal plane with at least 25 magnification. A 34 mm tube would be nice but not totally necessary. lighter is definitely also better but not totally necessary as I shoot from the bench mostly.

I'm even open to other scopes if you know of one that has better glass at maybe a slightly higher price.

Thank you for any help you can offer

Stephen

I'm waiting for a half price sale for this one...

Meopta has excellent quality glass and sometimes go on sale real cheap if you pay attention when shopping for best prices which most don't who are just happy and content to pay full retail price for all of their scopes. I already got spoiled buying a half price Meopta so it's very hard for me to pay full price for another regardless but that's just me seeing it as how their markup is...

Personally I only like and recommend scopes that are crystal clear and bright at max zoom power with excellent eyebox and fantastic sight picture and prefer the ones that are unaffected by different varying levels of magnification regardless of price whether dirt cheap or mid priced or expensive. I have shuffled through a ridiculous number of scopes and believe that everyone's eyes are different based on reviews and what I looked through after buying them...

I don't think any scopes of Chinese or Filipino orgin can compare to this one.

Other than this one I would suggest a scope of Japan origin but it's a SFP and 40 yard minimum focus found half price but currently out. Sightron SIII illuminated.

You buy whatever you want and make sure to buy only from return friendly dealers. I returned over a hundred scopes that weren't as good as people said based on raving reviews online and forum folks who swear by theirs. I have Kahles and March inbound now... Hope I don't have to return the Kahles it's the only of the 2 with a return money back guarantee. I already know for sure the March is good so not concerned about that one.

https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/produkt/optika6-5-30x56-ffp-13190/

https://youtu.be/ewavjCui47E

Use a credit card to charge $20k worth of different scopes you want to try out then just keep that ONE you like best. Return all the rest. Maybe keep 2 or 3 or 4 top scopes if you can't decide on keeping just one if you find more than one that's perfect for your eyes. Then you know what to buy more of later and shop for deals. First one usually you pay full price then notice the deals later because you look specifically for more of that scope everywhere.

You are not actually spending the $20k... Don't think about it that way then you get first hand looking through every single one of them for your eyes to choose which one to keep.

Thank you again! The Sightron SIII was one my list as well. Odoyle thanks for heads up. The Athlon Cronus is still on sale for $1299

It was on sale thru yesterday for $1160.

Hands down choice is the Sightron SIII. It's Japanese made and you have a wide choice of reticles. I like the MOA-2 for general long range shooting and the fine crosshair/dot for BR. I have three in 10-50X. They are clear in all magnifications. Plus you don't have to take a spotting scope to the range.

The SIII is a good choice in the price range if you are looking for SFP, but it seems you are looking for FFP.

The Athlon Cronus is almost $500 off TODAY ONLY posted a heads up!

It's better than what you have now.

Don't downgrade for Christ sakes!!! Upgrade to a JAPAN CRONUS SAVE MONEY TODAY ONLY!!!

Where? I'm eyeing the Cronus 1-6 FFP - can you compare it to a NF NX8?

TIA,

GsT

From what I've read people don't like the glass in the NX8 near as much as the ATACR. I'd say if you like the reticle and features of the Cronus 1-6 to go for it because my bet is the glass is close enough to the same you wouldn't care.

If interested I have a Burris XTR2 1-8x24 FFP for sale.

Black Friday approaches... 

For me the Cronus has better glass than the ETR by just a little. Unfortunately you are in the price range that has glass in those scopes all being close to the same.

Might be time to step up to the used tier 1's but there still isn't a big difference. I looked through my friends NF 7-35x56 on 15x and my S&B 5-25x56 on 15x and both of us came to the conclusion that the S&B was superior. But I looked through a 5-25 SFP ATACR and thought it had better resolution than my S&B???

Scopes, what a mystery, lol.

One of the scopes I wanted to try was the Burris XTR3, but I'm not sure the glass is any better than any of the other scopes in that price range. I do like their mil reticle!