• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help... Big bore optics, what is everyone using?

So I got a cheap Pinty scope off amazon when I got into PCP and it served its purpose to get me going..... I have a .22 benjamin and a .25 Talon P that the 3-9x30 pinty scopes both work great on! However theres a lot to be desired on the larger 4-16x40 pinty on my hammer....

I am looking for something with BDC or mildot reticle for referencing at different yardage.... I was looking at the UTG Accushot 4-16x44 or 50 but 
My local airgun store has the Element optics Helix 6-24x50 FFP APR-2D MOA on sale right now , it is twice the price as the accushots by UTG , its also said to be amazing but HEAVY, weight im not concerned with, im not lugging this rifle through the woods just to the range, any advice would be welcomed.

20211024_152210.1635104106.1635163514.jpg

doesnt matter if its to the range with a big bore but hunting bigger game you dont need a 'slow' 50 power scope .. but you got bigger concerns on your mind like more air tanks and expensive ammo at the range lol ... that said the full size utg 4-16 is great all around budget scope to 100 or so id say ... the compact version with side adjust is pretty good to but sight picture isnt quite as nice ...

I use a Leupold VX3 1-5x20mm. A 1-4x with their pig plex reticle would be ideal, but I had this one already. I want to know why so many people have giant scopes on such a short range big game gun. A fixed 6x is good for 300 yards on my powderburning deer rifles.

I have a 4-14 on my Texan as well and the reason is for earhole shots on larger hogs and ones past 60 yards.

These things don't have the power of say a 7Mag where you can shoulder shot anything on the continent with a 6X scope. 

Reactions: Lil Bear
doesnt matter if its to the range with a big bore but hunting bigger game you dont need a 'slow' 50 power scope .. but you got bigger concerns on your mind like more air tanks and expensive ammo at the range lol ... that said the full size utg 4-16 is great all around budget scope to 100 or so id say ... the compact version with side adjust is pretty good to but sight picture isnt quite as nice ...

I have a booster pump, I am ok with the cost of rounds on the .510 , I have 3 tanks and my own fill station but the scope on this thing leaves a lot to be desired, its just meh. No problem at all with the 3-9's on the smaller guns but this one they just fell flat on their face...

This weekend I shot the ROT field target match. I hadn't touched that rifle in I don't know how long. The first day I was on the last target of the last lane when I realized my scope had been on 6.5x all day, no wonder the kill zones were so small. On day 2 I ran it at 20x like normal. Ranging with paralax was obviously crisper, but only had a difference of 5 points between the 2 days. Magnification has very little to do with accuracy.

This weekend I shot the ROT field target match. I hadn't touched that rifle in I don't know how long. The first day I was on the last target of the last lane when I realized my scope had been on 6.5x all day, no wonder the kill zones were so small. On day 2 I ran it at 20x like normal. Ranging with paralax was obviously crisper, but only had a difference of 5 points between the 2 days. Magnification has very little to do with accuracy.

Mechanically youre right, however everyones eyesight is different, even when looking through a scope...

One of the neatest scopes I own that I would suggest on a rifle like yours is a FFP Athlon Helos G2 2-12x42. I liked the first one so much that I bought another one! It has a thicker reticle so even on 2x you can see the circle of death, and the dot in the mil version covers 1/2" at 50y. Most airguns can't shoot inside a half inch at 50Y consistently so even though its on the thick side you can still get great precision done. It's a extremely versatile riflescope! 

Plus the glass in it is very good for the price point.

One of the neatest scopes I own that I would suggest on a rifle like yours is a FFP Athlon Helos G2 2-12x42. I liked the first one so much that I bought another one! It has a thicker reticle so even on 2x you can see the circle of death, and the dot in the mil version covers 1/2" at 50y. Most airguns can't shoot inside a half inch at 50Y consistently so even though its on the thick side you can still get great precision done. It's a extremely versatile riflescope! 

Plus the glass in it is very good for the price point.

I just received this scope on a recommendation and I like it a lot. At $500.00 it is a good deal for what you get. The weight and size is nice too, especially mounted on a heavy big bore.