Tuning Help, Avenger shoots to the right!

The rail is made out of plastic, a poor way of mounting a scope in general. Here is a metal replacement that might solve the issue.
I had no idea Saber made these. Unfortunately, they are out of stock. The rails on the gun are metal, but if machined improperly, nothing I do will make any difference. They hybrid design with both Pic and dovetail is interesting but I am concerned that it contributes to problems. Once these come back into stock, I may purchase just because I don't like the hybrid design.

Just for laughs, story time. I thought that the barrel might be the problem. Logically, if you rotate the barrel 180 degrees, it should shoot to the left after rotating. I rotated the barrel, loaded a pellet and pulled the trigger.

Didn't sound right at all, something was wrong. Anyone want to take a guess why it didn't work?

This little thing called the transfer port is on the bottom of the barrel. Rotating 180 degrees put the transfer port on top of the barrel. That's not going to work!

Sigh - great trouble shooting comes to naught on that one!

Thank you all for suggestions. If you have more, I'll open to it. I may recrown next or just buy another barrel. Not sure where to go next.

Did you already check n double check the o rings on the barrel itself? Make sure they r in good shape or change them incase. Make sure no debris is in the breech itself. If you rolled the barrel and it’s strait it has to be another reason behind it. And the scope rails are good n tight. It’s shooting the same way with out the shroud. So would start looking at the o rings. So the barrel is perfect all the way around

I had no idea Saber made these. Unfortunately, they are out of stock. The rails on the gun are metal, but if machined improperly, nothing I do will make any difference. They hybrid design with both Pic and dovetail is interesting but I am concerned that it contributes to problems. Once these come back into stock, I may purchase just because I don't like the hybrid design.
Avenger scope rails are die cast aluminum. No machining.

I'd bet it is the rails. Mine were not 100% aligned to each other. The clue here is that the issue can't be traced to one scope. All do the same thing. These rails are rarely set in perfect alignment. I solved my problem by using a one piece mount and using only the section in best alignment. Attach a dowel or something straight to each rail section, one at a time and sight down the rod at the barrel. Pick the one that aligns best. That's how I solved the issue.

Did you already check n double check the o rings on the barrel itself? Make sure they r in good shape or change them incase. Make sure no debris is in the breech itself. If you rolled the barrel and it’s strait it has to be another reason behind it. And the scope rails are good n tight. It’s shooting the same way with out the shroud. So would start looking at the o rings. So the barrel is perfect all the way around
o rings look good. shined lights down the barrel housing in the receiver. No sign of debris. scope rails are a good fit.

I don't think I have any replacement o-rings for the barrel. Sounds like an order from the O-Ring store is in order. I usually keep complete o-ring replacement sets for all my guns on hand. I'll put together an order today and replace all the barrel and shroud o-rings and try again. Sounds like my next stop.

I'd bet it is the rails. Mine were not 100% aligned to each other. The clue here is that the issue can't be traced to one scope. All do the same thing. These rails are rarely set in perfect alignment. I solved my problem by using a one piece mount and using only the section in best alignment. Attach a dowel or something straight to each rail section, one at a time and sight down the rod at the barrel. Pick the one that aligns best. That's how I solved the issue.
I believe I have a cantilever mount in my box. I'll get it out and try today.

Both of my Avengers came with OEM aluminum rails front and rear. I'm sure of this because the scope mount screw threads took some of the black coating off and I've had them apart.
Interesting, one I had was entirely plastic
Had no idea they changed the rail, mine were plastic along with the side lever.

I too bought a refurb Avenger .177 months ago. It grouped about 24" right at 25 yds.. Not enough scope adjustment, tried an aftermarket barrel band (better) then shimmed the aft scope mount (3 strips of cat food can) ..Got it in line!
Shoots great now!!Since then I removed the barrel and checked the runout in the lathe (perfect)..Guessing the scope rail or receiver mount pad is off center from the bore line..This is now a great shooting rifle even though something is not aligned perfectly, adjustments made it right...;)

I checked alignment as best I could tonight. Seems the rails are out of alignment with the barrel. Not by much, but just a touch. Shimming seems like another option that would allow me to use any scope on it. Maybe tomorrow, I'll try one soda can thickness and see what happens. Maybe go from 6 inches to the right to 6 inches to the left?

Reactions: 190mech
Soda cans are typically 0.004" - 0.005" thick. If the scope rings are are 3.5" apart, one shim will move the POI by a bit less than 1/2" at 10 yards.

To compensate for the full "6 inches at 10 yards" discrepancy, the shims would need to be approximately 0.060" thick. I would break out the mothballed adjustable rings.
Excellent advice. This is why I come to the forum, to find others with similar experiences that know how to get it fixed. I'll try the single piece rings, then the adjustable rings. With luck, that'll fix the problem. Still not machined correctly, but it'll shoot and that's what I care about! With luck, more time on it today.

Something is definitely out of alignment, probably the rails. Whether rails or barrel, I'm not sure, but something is way out of whack. Fully adjustable rings make it all better!

I put the cantilever scope mount on, using the rear rail. brought it within 2 inches. Swapped that out for two regular rings both on the back rail, even closer. The cantilever was too long and hung off the back of the rail, so couldn't use it long term.

as a last resort, I broke out the completely adjustable (Windage and Elevation) rings. took a half hour but was able to bring the scope into almost perfect alignment, I'll use the scope adjustments to make final adjustments.

Thank you all who have contributed. Got me through this so I can finalize the tune and get it sighted in. Really appreciate the help!

I bought the rings I have years ago, but I believe these are the same rings:

Each ring is elevation adjustable, and windage adjustable. to adjust windage, there's an allen screw on each side. Just screw in one side and unscrew the other side to move the scope side to side. Pain in posterior, but it does work.

simple but really fiddly to work with. If you use them, plan on taking an afternoon to really dial it in.

Edit -
Optics Planet has a 30mm version with 1 inch inserts which is what I have. It's in this list:

About $32

Last edited: