Tuning Help, Avenger shoots to the right!

Here's the story. Bought a refurb from PA 6 months ago. As usual, life got in the way and I didn't shoot it till recently. I did have a hammer rotation problem, now fixed, but now another problem.

At 10 yards, it shoots 6 inches to the right. That would be about 5 feet to the right at 100 yards and no, my scope can't quite handle that.

I've used two different sets of rings, two different scopes, Crosman and JSB pellets, removed the shroud completely and yes it still shoots to the right. Tonight, removed the barrel and reset everything making sure all the Allen screws were properly aligned and properly screwed into the little dimples in the barrel. Still, shoots about 6 inches to the right.

Any thoughts on what I should check next? It groups beautifully with the JSB's (8 of 10 pellets on top of each other), but I'm really stumped. Air Venturi seemed to think the shroud was causing the problem, but even without the shroud it still shoots to the right. Oh, and I rolled the barrel on a flat table tonight and it rolled very nicely. Seems to be a very straight barrel.

I am really stumped on this one. Does anyone have any ideas on what to try next? Really appreciate any suggestions, I'm fresh out.

The scope rail is comprised of separate pieces fastened to the receiver, not milled into it like many guns. Remove them and inspect the seating surfaces for debris or flashing that could be preventing them from mating properly...anything compromising the expected bilateral symmetry.

If memory serves, the rails can only be installed in one orientation, or at the very least it was obvious they would only seat properly in one orientation.

The barrel band screws will do what your describing if they are unevenly torqued. They do NOT need to be tightened very much at all. Loosen both and just run them in until they barely touch. If you have tightened one more than the other it will steer the barrel In one direction or the other.

oops, correction… it’s the two fore end stock screws on the sides not the band screws. Sorry.

Last edited:
The barrel band screws will do what your describing if they are unevenly torqued. They do NOT need to be tightened very much at all. Loosen both and just run them in until they barely touch. If you have tightened one more than the other it will steer the barrel In one direction or the other.
With the shroud removed ?

Reactions: cavedweller
I had the same problem when I removed my stock and then reinstalled it. I tightened the fore end side screws and it pulled the barrel or POI to one side. It took a while to figure out but after I loosened both and just barely snugged the two screws the POI came back to center.

Last edited:
That's a weird one. I was going to suggest you reset the barrel but you did that already. What are your speeds? Have you tried adjusting that?

Will air venturi fix it under warranty?
Speeds are about 850fps. Shooting JSB 15.89's and Crosman Hollow Points. Both shoot about the same, though the 15.89's grouping better. Refurb warranty is only 90 days, so no, it's out of warranty. I knew that when I bought so no biggie. Just never seen this one before. really strange here.

The avenger barrels I believe are not crowned from the factory. The thing I would try is taking your scope off and rings and with a small level making sure both your rails are strait and tight.
Avenger rails are machined so they are pretty much idiot proof (no adjustments at all). Early barrels were not crowned, this one is an early barrel and not crowned. I may need to recrown. Have already redone the rails several times. Yup, frustrating. . . . . .

The rail is made out of plastic, a poor way of mounting a scope in general. Here is a metal replacement that might solve the issue.
Both of my Avengers came with OEM die cast aluminum rails front and rear. I'm sure of this because the scope mount screw threads took some of the black coating off and I've had them apart.
I'm pretty sure the Avenger never had plastic rails.

Last edited:
The scope rail is comprised of separate pieces fastened to the receiver, not milled into it like many guns. Remove them and inspect the seating surfaces for debris or flashing that could be preventing them from mating properly...anything compromising the expected bilateral symmetry.

If memory serves, the rails can only be installed in one orientation, or at the very least it was obvious they would only seat properly in one orientation.
Yes rails are idiot proof, and I have reset the rails several times as you must remove the rails to reset the barrel. Barrel screws are barely tightened, just enough to hold the barrel without play.

With the shroud removed ?
Yes, with the shroud removed, with the shroud on, no real difference. I will retry torquing the barrel band to push to the left. I loosened all screws in the stock and barrel band to see if there was an imbalance in pressure, still shoots to the right. No change.

and it is LOUD without a barrel shroud! Wow, a real ear ringer!

Yes, I optically centered both scopes a while back, and both scopes and both sets of rings have the same results, not enough windage in either scope to make it work.
I only said that because the guy suggested it was a scope problem and I didn't think he read your whole post.
Same with the shroud comment.