• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning help a pcp'er out,guy brought a gamo varmint for me to setup for him.

im a pcp guy,with a little co2 thrown in lol

but today,
a guy that lives down the road knocks on my sliding glass porch door with a break barrel,a scope,his phone number on a piece of paper,
........and a tin of daisy pointed pellets :oops:

hands them to me and says
"hey i know youre an airgun guy,
can you get this shooting straight for me?"

mission accepted lol

aside from throwing the daisys in the trash,
cleaning the barrel,
and some divers grease on the breech seal,
what else should i check?

pivot screws?
trigger?

20230429_105154.jpg

• Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
You know what I’m going to say...inspect the barrel. The leade, the crown, and push at least a couple of pellets through.

Otherwise once you’ve done the things you already detailed, put 10 pellets over the chronograph to validate the health of the breech seal, lockup, and piston seal...and that it isn’t dieseling. Though if it isn’t broken in yet, either you or he should do that first and then return to the chronograph.

Daisy pointed pellets ..lol. That in its self is 99% of that problem..lol oh my ribs now hurt.. if a .22 yell him to grab a tin of cphp and piranhas ..

Then id check scope mounting . Check the rrr for sign of movment like egging of the stop pin hole.. that rail is soft aluminum so it will show .

I dont think the need for disassembly is needed unless you find crazy crony results.. my gamo been pretty much maintenance free in the 4+ years ive had it.

Look at the trigger screw mod if a cat trigger ( it may work on the sat one too)?

Now my gamo took a lot of shots to settle in .. alot.

Mines been one of my better shooters just with Walmart cphp , the scope part was a issue till i figured the fix out.

Bit them faidy poinyed are about bottom of the barrel cheap . Nothing i evrr jad shoots them well . Pretty poorly. The faster fps gun the worse they did. 7 inch flyers the norm.

You could click my avatar and options then my posts and check my gamo postings .

Last edited:
Find some pellets it likes or doesn't like as the case may be, I've got a CHEAP Remington Nitro that will ONLY shoot heavy pellets and....I had to straighten the barrel, it was bent, I suppose I could have stacked up two 20moa mounts, or spent the bucks on adjustable mounts, yes it was off that far, but, easier to bend the barrel.
Highly suggest you optically center the scope with that Gamo. Best option is an adjustable one piece mount. I suspect the scope is going to be the weak link in that Gamo.

A couple ways you can go.
1. Sportmatch adjustable mount would be my choice. This will resolve most of the vertical and windage issues that I see for most springers. But I suspect your neighbor might not want to spend approximately $90 for a mount.

2. If you are handy, Monstrum makes a semi-adjustable riser. A few shims and a few drops of epoxy. You can modify it to mimic the Sportmatch adjustable mount at around $19...this is the set up on my competition TX200. Mainly because I can swap out my scopes and be zeroed within seconds.
3. Or a laser and scope combo...using the laser as the primary aim point. The scope is sacrificed to the double recoil of the Gamo and used to track the laser. Max...40-50 yards as most cheap lasers dots are too spread out to be of use as an aim point beyond 50 yards. Two disadvantages are: 1. you might need to locktite or keep an eye on the vertical and windage adjustment on the laser. 2. One aim point. ..unless you have a mil-dot scope.

Last edited:
lol thanks guys for the tips.

hes not "one of us" lol

so hes not worried about learning or perfection lol

its a brand new gun and has never even had the scope mounted,
or been fired. as far as i know.

all he said was,and i quote...."i just need it to be able to hit a groundhog in my backyard"

he wants me to sight it in for him also,
so i threw the scope on and put a few cphp through it at 13yds,
horrid trigger out of the box,managed about a half inch 3 shot group.

Reactions: Perle
lol thanks guys for the tips.

hes not "one of us" lol

so hes not worried about learning or perfection lol

its a brand new gun and has never even had the scope mounted,
or been fired. as far as i know.

all he said was,and i quote...."i just need it to be able to hit a groundhog in my backyard"

he wants me to sight it in for him also,
so i threw the scope on and put a few cphp through it at 13yds,
horrid trigger out of the box,managed about a half inch 3 shot group.
If its the gamo package scope . You cant put much confidence in it as well . Of the ones I've had that came with the gun only one holds zero great but cant focus well ..

Then sadly that guns a no sight on it model . I tend to avoid guns without sights. Thats like buying a car with out a steering wheel.😉

Now without them it's hard to check whats what. Like groups great on irons but poor scoped. Then you kinda got to look at the mounting , mounts or scope used. That kinda strands you somewhat

Highly suggest you optically center the scope with that Gamo. Best option is an adjustable one piece mount. I suspect the scope is going to be the weak link in that Gamo.

A couple ways you can go.
1. Sportmatch adjustable mount would be my choice. This will resolve most of the vertical and windage issues that I see for most springers. But I suspect your neighbor might not want to spend approximately $90 for a mount.

2. If you are handy, Monstrum makes a semi-adjustable riser. A few shims and a few drops of epoxy. You can modify it to mimic the Sportmatch adjustable mount at around $19...this is the set up on my competition TX200. Mainly because I can swap out my scopes and be zeroed within seconds.
3. Or a laser and scope combo...using the laser as the primary aim point. The scope is sacrificed to the double recoil of the Gamo and used to track the laser. Max...40-50 yards as most cheap lasers dots are too spread out to be of use as an aim point beyond 50 yards. Two disadvantages are: 1. you might need to locktite or keep an eye on the vertical and windage adjustment on the laser. 2. One aim point. ..unless you have a mil-dot scope.
Oh the barrel was BENT, in a previous life I made things straight, so with a lot of care I got it to where I could hit a sheet of paper at 10 yards, yes it was that bad. Then finding the right pellet got it down to hitting the same paper, minus the holes, at 25 yards. in an actual group, not like my Mavericks or my Sapsan but not shotgun either.

got it hitting about 3/4" low at 12yds,
should put him real close to dead on at 20 like he asked.

threw it across the chrony,did 7.9gn cphp at 837

im out lol calling him now to come pick it up lol
At least you put the effort in, and kudos to you for the good turn that you did your neighbor!

The rest is on him now.

well.......he came and got it.

and now i feel like hes just going to miss/wound the animals he shoots at.

hes one of those guys that you cant tell anything to,more beer than brains kinda thing.

only thing he kept repeating was,
he "just needs it to kill a groundhog"
told him a 12fpe .177 wasnt the best tool for that job but he didnt hear that either lol

gave him my last half tin of cphp (now i gotta run to hellmart)

and gave him the short short version of the artillery hold,

told him to press very firmly with his thumb when seating the pellet so it is not sticking above the breech,

and to hold the barrel for safety while he loads a pellet.

and as soon as i handed it to him,
he reaches up cocks it,closes it and was about to dry fire it when i stopped him and told him that wasnt the best of ideas.

so he opens the barrel up again lets go of it and just stands there with it broke open,
points to a bush across the street about 70yds away (67 to be exact after i ranged it)
and says "i should be able to hit it that close right?"

at that point i just wanted the dude and the gun out of my life lol
so i didnt even bother explaining trajectory and whatnot,
and just said "yep" lol

so he put the gun in the back seat of his car still cocked with the barrel broke open and drove away (y)

Reactions: Treefrog
well.......he came and got it.

and now i feel like hes just going to miss/wound the animals he shoots at.

hes one of those guys that you cant tell anything to,more beer than brains kinda thing.

only thing he kept repeating was,
he "just needs it to kill a groundhog"
told him a 12fpe .177 wasnt the best tool for that job but he didnt hear that either lol

gave him my last half tin of cphp (now i gotta run to hellmart)

and gave him the short short version of the artillery hold,

told him to press very firmly with his thumb when seating the pellet so it is not sticking above the breech,

and to hold the barrel for safety while he loads a pellet.

and as soon as i handed it to him,
he reaches up cocks it,closes it and was about to dry fire it when i stopped him and told him that wasnt the best of ideas.

so he opens the barrel up again lets go of it and just stands there with it broke open,
points to a bush across the street about 70yds away (67 to be exact after i ranged it)
and says "i should be able to hit it that close right?"

at that point i just wanted the dude and the gun out of my life lol
so i didnt even bother explaining trajectory and whatnot,
and just said "yep" lol

so he put the gun in the back seat of his car still cocked with the barrel broke open and drove away (y)
OMG
That was me 20 years ago.

LOL

Good neighbors are developed, they just don't happen overnight. I have a neighbor that looks after my house when I'm gone and he the same for me. Don't really care for him as a person, don't have him over for BBQs....but he's a good neighbor.
Good fencing makes good neighbors 😉

Reactions: Buckshutr