• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help a noob choose!

1. Wants/needs a .25 cal ( for rats and raccoon) 

2. Need to be able to adjust speed 650ish FPS to “max 900ish plus” 

3. In stock or soon to be somewhere 

4. Budget ~$800ish (no optics)

5. Need check rest adjustable

My thought was to buy a “built gauntlet 2 for $700”. But open to options. Not going to tinker or mod past set up from up above. Other then a moderator depending on loudness. Open to a bull pup style. So help a guy choose! 

1. Wants/needs a .25 cal ( for rats and raccoon) 

2. Need to be able to adjust speed 650ish FPS to “max 900ish plus” 

3. In stock or soon to be somewhere 

4. Budget ~$800ish (no optics)

5. Need check rest adjustable

My thought was to buy a “built gauntlet 2 for $700”. But open to options. Not going to tinker or mod past set up from up above. Other then a moderator depending on loudness. Open to a bull pup style. So help a guy choose! 

This. No brainer.

FE793032-ED02-4B19-9392-7FEA82C9F7B3.1626036845.png

this would be the gauntlet 

YJSONLY

Bought my first PCP, Umarex Gauntlet (First Generation) .25, about six months ago, for $310. on Ebay. Shortage of .25 pellets, now improving, slowed down shooting to almost nothing.. Gun shot straight, with plenty of power, when I found ammo. Learned of Hajimoto, with his excellent videos and upgrade parts. Prior to investing a fortune in tempting upgrades, I realized no matter what I did, the Gauntlet was too long and heavy, with an awkward sling set-up, for any pleasant all-day hunting trip. After a simple trigger adjustment and new $15 sound baffles, I decided, no more mods, just enjoy, as is. (I've gone to higher end gun for my all-day hunting needs, now.) Your Gauntlet 2 in .25 has the tempting power upgrades I wanted, plus a tremendously improved stock. I'd recommend getting the Gauntlet 2 for $399, use $300 difference for rings, optics, hand pump and/or bi-pod. You can always add upgrades, yourself, or thru Hajimoto, later. If you do, like most of us have done, end up in higher end air guns, you won't be regretting overspending on your first. Just my two cents worth, best of luck on your search.

WM

YJSONLY

Bought my first PCP, Umarex Gauntlet (First Generation) .25, about six months ago, for $310. on Ebay. Shortage of .25 pellets, now improving, slowed down shooting to almost nothing.. Gun shot straight, with plenty of power, when I found ammo. Learned of Hajimoto, with his excellent videos and upgrade parts. Prior to investing a fortune in tempting upgrades, I realized no matter what I did, the Gauntlet was too long and heavy, with an awkward sling set-up, for any pleasant all-day hunting trip. After a simple trigger adjustment and new $15 sound baffles, I decided, no more mods, just enjoy, as is. (I've gone to higher end gun for my all-day hunting needs, now.) Your Gauntlet 2 in .25 has the tempting power upgrades I wanted, plus a tremendously improved stock. I'd recommend getting the Gauntlet 2 for $399, use $300 difference for rings, optics, hand pump and/or bi-pod. You can always add upgrades, yourself, or thru Hajimoto, later. If you do, like most of us have done, end up in higher end air guns, you won't be regretting overspending on your first. Just my two cents worth, best of luck on your search.

WM

Thanks for input and things to consider. I won’t be using this as a carry gun. More like fish in a barrel. Main reason for upgrade is that I HAVE to be able to turn down FPS! But also be able to turn up for other planned uses.

YJSONLY

I watched Hajimoto's video on making my Gauntlet adjustable, including drilling hole in stock for access to power adjuster. Felt comfortable doing it myself, Haji's videos are that good, but parts were scarce and expensive. I'm not sure what's involved with doing likewise in Gauntlet 2, or how comfortable you are with that kind of work. The Gauntlet 2 has other Hajimoto mods already installed, like boosted pressures, larger bottles and sound reducing baffles. I guess my main message was make sure to budget for all the extras and not to blow the budget on mods, up front. With your clearly stated need for adjustability, your choice for a Hajimoto build sounds valid. 

Also, your post states budget is $800ish (No optics) Does this mean optics have their own budget or no plans to use scope? Gauntlet doesn't have iron sights. (I'm sure you knew that, just wanted to be sure.) This has caught some new guys who assumed all guns had sights. 

Best of luck to you,

WM

YJSONLY

I watched Hajimoto's video on making my Gauntlet adjustable, including drilling hole in stock for access to power adjuster. Felt comfortable doing it myself, Haji's videos are that good, but parts were scarce and expensive. I'm not sure what's involved with doing likewise in Gauntlet 2, or how comfortable you are with that kind of work. The Gauntlet 2 has other Hajimoto mods already installed, like boosted pressures, larger bottles and sound reducing baffles. I guess my main message was make sure to budget for all the extras and not to blow the budget on mods, up front. With your clearly stated need for adjustability, your choice for a Hajimoto build sounds valid. 

Also, your post states budget is $800ish (No optics) Does this mean optics have their own budget or no plans to use scope? Gauntlet doesn't have iron sights. (I'm sure you knew that, just wanted to be sure.) This has caught some new guys who assumed all guns had sights. 

Best of luck to you,

WM

So I am going to probably end up with a NV. But not 100%. Might try the red light and scope ( have rifle scope that will work).
I use a thermal scanner and thermal scope on ar-10 for hog and yote. ( I know of all the NV options. Just don’t know yet if I want to go that route). 

I may be able to step down Hajimoto package too. But I also don’t want to wishing I “done a lil bit more”. I was looking at higher end guns. (Buy once cry once). But I just have so many other hobbies. Lol. Most are outdoor hunting related.
Going to get a compressor of some sort. I’m not pumping on a air pump! 

YJSONLY

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on this. Some new guys are pretty green and trying to help budget or re-allocate dollars, for best results, can be a real game changer. Those of us recently on this path can share experiences and pitfalls to hopefully spare others. I've also learned that any advice shared, helps many, if not, so much, the person asking. (I think Trip appreciated your thread and maybe, my thoughts, too.) Either way glad to have helped, and welcome to the Nation,

WM

YJSONLY

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on this. Some new guys are pretty green and trying to help budget or re-allocate dollars, for best results, can be a real game changer. Those of us recently on this path can share experiences and pitfalls to hopefully spare others. I've also learned that any advice shared, helps many, if not, so much, the person asking. (I think Trip appreciated your thread and maybe, my thoughts, too.) Either way glad to have helped, and welcome to the Nation,

WM

No I thank you. And the reason why I came here for good info. Not just a sales pitch. I would love to buy a high end. But I would never “use” it for what is built for. I have 1 or 10 fancy PB.