• The Airgun Nation App is ready for iOS users! It should be available for Android users any minute! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Help a Left Handed Friend Find a New Gun

Hey guys, I have a friend who is definitely not new to PB guns but is new to airguns and is looking for help.

He got himself into a delimma in that he bought a Benjamin Armada Semi Auto which sounded cool at first since it was supposed to use the SAM action on a Challenger stock.

However, it keeps chewing up the mags...He's tried 4 different OEM with both CPHP and JSB 18.13 and no luck.

So he's within a year of buying from Pyramyd (they actually sent out new mags already) and also in the 5 year Benjamin warranty.

But he's thinking about calling it quits and get something else.

So for the roughly $750 or whatever he may get as a return if Pyramyd takes it back, what do you guys suggest a left handed guy get?

He wanted the Semi because it didn't need cycled "backwards" for him since he shoots lefty. But there aren't many that are reliable semi that also get good power and have good build quality that Pyramyd sells cause I know you guys use stuff like Leshiy and other $$$ semis.

There were a few Hatsans like the Galatian Semi Tact or Vectis but not many reviews. Lever action seemed cool and he could do left handed. I know some Senecas too. Eagle Claw

He also keeps wanting more power, and says .30. Well the only .30 I'd suggest is a Umarex Gauntlet .30 but that's right hand bolt. He may work through it for the accuracy and power though. Obviously a Blitz would fit the bill if on sale but he's hand pumping...

He's more casual user, plinker, but wants power for pests raccoon or maybe a coyote.

So basically I need an idea to give him for either .25 cal or .30 cal PCP. He is hand pumping for now... so that limits those big bottle guns. A .25 Marauder would work but it is kinda out classed for the price by all competitors being it is unregulated and you only get like 16 shots.

But I'm wondering if he gets the Gauntlet .30 for power and the MCX PCP for his semi auto fix?

Or maybe a Hatsan .30 Break Barrel that would be left friendly but only 30 fpe...

Sorry for the long post this is a particular situation.

Thank you in advance!

Have you looked at AEA, they have some Semi's in your price range.

Have you looked at AEA, they have some Semi's in your price range.
Yes I've heard of that brand. I don't think Pyramyd sells them so I'm not sure how that works if he can still get a full refund or if they force store credit/replacement. That's why I was trying to find suggestions from Pyramyd's site.

Do you have experience with any of their models? Do they sell a .25 or .30? I'm not super familiar with AEA myself.

I shoot righty cocking and loading guns lefty just grew up that way . Not really a big thing .
That's great you've been able to make that work! Targets don't care how the gun gets loaded, just knows it is hit, right? lol

I think my friend is exploring all the options that are ambidextrous or specifically left handed since that was his 1st time doing airguns. He can do it like you do, just if something were out there easier for him he'd take that 1st.

the standard bolt action marauder bolt can be swapped to the left side, same with the marauder pistol.
That was the first model I thought of! Then when I looked it up I remembered why I didn't buy one. For the price they want it has good quality parts but man the stats are lacking.. not regulated, only 16 or so shots in .25, bolt not sidelever etc. I know it has all sorts of aftermarket for it but that's more cost and he isnt quite the tinkerer I am. Lol

Yea a Marauder semi, there you go. I think 30 is a mistake ...25 is a better choice, think about it....also the Gamo Urban bolt can be changed from right to left
The Armada Semi he has uses the same action as the SAM, and that's what's chewing up his magazines. The timing is off and the bolt is coming forward and stripping the follower cog that holds the pellets in the magazine.

I agree .30 is big and expensive vs .25 but he keeps mentioning it. I probably can convince him to go .25 if the gun is right.

I've heard good things about the Urban however that's in .22 and the fpe just isn't what he's looking for.

Another vote for the Marauder. Easy to switch to left handed. Easy to hand pump. Accurate. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Reactions: beerthief
Another vote for the Marauder. Easy to switch to left handed. Easy to hand pump. Accurate. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Would you recommend the .25 to anyone? What about the Field & Target version? As I understand it, the .25 is only in non regulated version but the regulated version gets like 2x the shots as the normal .22

His current one supposedly does up to 29 fpe when it works. I never got my chrony on it cause it jams. Looks like F & T version lowers fpe to get more shots. So worse fpe for the $. But who knows because I couldn't actually test his.

His was like a 40 shot gun, so anything more than that would be great. Our other friend has a Fortitude Gen 2 that is lower fpe but it gets like 100 shots so when the 1st friend shot 40 and had to pump up it was really eye opening. Obviously semi is gonna be less shots than bolt. But that was a lot less shots even though 10 fpe or so more.

This all is why I ask you pros on the forum though!

Would you recommend the .25 to anyone? What about the Field & Target version? As I understand it, the .25 is only in non regulated version but the regulated version gets like 2x the shots as the normal .22

His current one supposedly does up to 29 fpe when it works. I never got my chrony on it cause it jams. Looks like F & T version lowers fpe to get more shots. So worse fpe for the $. But who knows because I couldn't actually test his.

His was like a 40 shot gun, so anything more than that would be great. Our other friend has a Fortitude Gen 2 that is lower fpe but it gets like 100 shots so when the 1st friend shot 40 and had to pump up it was really eye opening. Obviously semi is gonna be less shots than bolt. But that was a lot less shots even though 10 fpe or so more.

This all is why I ask you pros on the forum though!
The .22 and .25 Marauder are a lot of bang for the buck. They do well unregulated from the factory. Two magazines in .25 and four mags in .22 with all shots in the same POI. A heavy slug or Polymag is also an option for pesting in either caliber.

The Marauders can be turned down in fpe easily on the hammer spring to get more shots. They can be regulated and other go fast parts are on the market. It is a very good platform.

Reactions: beerthief
The .22 and .25 Marauder are a lot of bang for the buck. They do well unregulated from the factory. Two magazines in .25 and four mags in .22 with all shots in the same POI. A heavy slug or Polymag is also an option for pesting in either caliber.

The Marauders can be turned down in fpe easily on the hammer spring to get more shots. They can be regulated and other go fast parts are on the market. It is a very good platform.
Any idea on what fpe a .25 unregulated would do at "most shot count" tune and how many shots? If it's more than 40 he may be interested.
And by that I mean just take off hammer tension, right? OEM/stock these can't be tuned otherwise, right?

@EmptyTin_Tim Your friend should send that thing in to Crosman for a diagnosis and replaced under warranty. They should shoot those weights of pellets just fine. I know there's been a select few with issues, but they are decent shooters for the most part. I've hopped mine up with porting, regulator, and spring pressures to the point of smashing magazines, so maybe he's just got the thing wound too tight.

It would be ideal for Crosman to diagnose and fix it and/or send a new one so they can fix a potential issue for the next generation of buyer's.

I am a lefty. Some of the FX line do not play well with the magazine and left hand cheeks. Of all the guns I have handled, I have never had a magazine issue with any other brand. I actually like right hand actions better than left hand actions, so my hand never has to leave the trigger. Shooting bench or free hand, the cocking handle has never been an issue for me

The Mrod and the Prod were both more cumbersome to cock, due to the bolt action. A lever side action is pretty painless.

I know the frustration of being a southpaw in a right handed world. I enjoy shooting soo much that it is a non issue for me when the fit is not a problem.