• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Help a Left Handed Friend Find a New Gun

@EmptyTin_Tim Your friend should send that thing in to Crosman for a diagnosis and replaced under warranty. They should shoot those weights of pellets just fine. I know there's been a select few with issues, but they are decent shooters for the most part. I've hopped mine up with porting, regulator, and spring pressures to the point of smashing magazines, so maybe he's just got the thing wound too tight.

It would be ideal for Crosman to diagnose and fix it and/or send a new one so they can fix a potential issue for the next generation of buyer's.
Yes, it has 5 year warranty and I thought Pyramyd helps out for a year after purchase. But turns out it is 60 days from purchase. When it broke the first mag he told Pyramyd and they sent another. Then he ordered 3 more himself.

He never messed with springs just took it out and shot it then later shot again and it malfunctioned. That's awesome you are able to customize yours. Is that a Semi Armada or Semi Marauder?

The update is he followed your advice and contacted Benjamin. We will see what they do. Might be straight replacement or maybe they'll offer a swap to something else. If so might be a SAM but also could just do left bolt like other suggested on a normal Marauder.

We will see!

Yes, it has 5 year warranty and I thought Pyramyd helps out for a year after purchase. But turns out it is 60 days from purchase. When it broke the first mag he told Pyramyd and they sent another. Then he ordered 3 more himself.

He never messed with springs just took it out and shot it then later shot again and it malfunctioned. That's awesome you are able to customize yours. Is that a Semi Armada or Semi Marauder?

The update is he followed your advice and contacted Benjamin. We will see what they do. Might be straight replacement or maybe they'll offer a swap to something else. If so might be a SAM but also could just do left bolt like other suggested on a normal Marauder.

We will see!I
Mine is a Marauder Semi-auto.

Last edited:
Some pretty strong competing priorities. Large caliber, high power vs low cost and hand pumping. I hate to be a wet blanket but this is a recipe for disappointment. I would ask him to list the desires in order of priority.

The old saying "Better, faster, cheaper, - pick two" applies here. If he envisions moving to a compressor or investing in bottles to fill relatively soon, he may be able to support a higher power gun for a short time. Anything semi auto will have you pumping 20x more than shooting and may ultimately sour him on the hobby altogether. The more logical path would to be to get something in .177 or .22 in a modest power level that he can support with a hand pump more easily. If his first experience is a positive one he is much more likely to continue in the hobby an get infected as we all are. Don't discount the amount of fun and accuracy that can be had from a quality springer either.

Just 2 cents from a fellow lefty.

Nice. I think that would have been the better option for the nice stock but he wanted that tactical look.

What kind of fpe do you get out of your modded SAM?
These are from. Strelok Pro. The faster pellet is Crosman Premier 14.3 grain. The slower pellet is the JSB Hades 15.89 grain. I'm not sure if the bc is exactly right long range yet, but somewhere close.
Screenshot_20230510-233226.png
Screenshot_20230510-233624.png

Some pretty strong competing priorities. Large caliber, high power vs low cost and hand pumping. I hate to be a wet blanket but this is a recipe for disappointment. I would ask him to list the desires in order of priority.

The old saying "Better, faster, cheaper, - pick two" applies here. If he envisions moving to a compressor or investing in bottles to fill relatively soon, he may be able to support a higher power gun for a short time. Anything semi auto will have you pumping 20x more than shooting and may ultimately sour him on the hobby altogether. The more logical path would to be to get something in .177 or .22 in a modest power level that he can support with a hand pump more easily. If his first experience is a positive one he is much more likely to continue in the hobby an get infected as we all are. Don't discount the amount of fun and accuracy that can be had from a quality springer either.

Just 2 cents from a fellow lefty.
Oh I agree with you 100% it's been a struggle keeping the reality check in place here lol

I've got a heavily modded 22 Avenger at only 30 fpe and couldn't imagine tuning for more power because then you're really watching safety of a very solid backstop (shoot at 75 yards, have cinder blocks and gulley/woods beyond but it hits the dirt and itll ricochet. I'm responsible for all lead leaving the muzzle. More power more distance for sent lead etc). But he's more in the city than me most of the time.

Also pumping a lot more... I've got the bottle mod and Doux plenum so rough total of capacity is 360cc. It takes me 225 pumps to go from 2k to 4k psi with my 4 stage pump.

He originally wanted the Blitz .30 and I was like no no no bud you'll be pumping for days to shoot for 30 seconds!

So besides the reliability portion of a bolt gun, that's why we're convincing him to get bolt/lever since as you say it's like 20x more air for a Semi. He got semi cause he's lefty and that's easier for reloads.

He's a Made in America guy so I don't think he'd ever get a Yong Heng compressor it'd be a $$$ one not from China. So probably tube gun or pretty small bottle. Closer to 100 shots/fill.

So you aren't raining on the parade it's the same reality check we are trying to convince him of too. I just made the post to see if there were other options I hadn't heard of that lefty people had luck with.

These are from. Strelok Pro. The faster pellet is Crosman Premier 14.3 grain. The slower pellet is the JSB Hades 15.89 grain. I'm not sure if the bc is exactly right long range yet, but somewhere close.View attachment 355586View attachment 355587
That's some great data. I knew Pyramyds "up to 29 fpe" for his Armada Semi was pushing it. Makes me wonder how they got their #'s if you get 27 or 28 at the muzzle with lighter pellets. Maybe the 18.13 doesn't slow down as much and would actually get the 29? Idk. His is broken so I couldn't chronograph it

Sticking with guns Pyramid offers I suggest a Aircuda Max or an Avenger if he wants a full length gun. Both come in 25. I have a 25 Avenger and it is tuned to about 42 fpe right now which I think is plenty. It is not maxed out, could make 50 with 33.95 grain. The cocking handle is on the right but I think that is better. I shoot from my left shoulder because I am left eye dominant. I like keeping my trigger hand in place while cocking. The magazine is far enough forward as is the cocking lever that there is no issue shooting them from the left shoulder.

If he wants left hand cocking and/or a bullpup, a Walter Reign would give you both. It is offered in 25. It is not regulated, the other two are. I did not consider my Avenger very hand pump friendly but it sounds like he is not into shooting so many shots at a sitting so it could be for him. The Reign has a bottle but it is only 200cc and it is inside the stock so it isn't much different from the other two to hand pump, I would think.

just reading catching up on this post . So this guy is more in a city , wants larger bore , more power and lot of shots ? maybe a reality check is in order ?
Where is 80% of his time shooting going to be ? what is the size of the property ? how close are neighbors ?
Yeah it's an interesting scenario, right? We are telling him .30 is too much and you can do a lot with a .25 let alone a .22. He's used to PB guns and we have to get him in the airgun mindset. 30 fpe can do a lot even though it's like 1/3 the power of a .22 LR.

I showed him a chart like this one Airgun Hunting FPE Guide and I guess thats where he saw the .25 for raccoon and .30 for coyote. Maybe that was my mistake but I didn't want him trying to rid himself of a raccoon problem with a low fpe .177. He is new to airguns like these and didn't know they had more than .22 cal. We thought we were good recommending the .22 Armada Semi last year til it broke. He's not hunting just plinking most the time. But he'd be ready for pesting if needed with the bigger bore was his mentality.

As far as the 80% he does most shooting at our mutual friends place which is similar to mine (shoot downhill 75 yards towards woods no one back there etc). So that's why in my original post I was wondering about maybe he split the $ between a bolt gun that's more fpe and then a Semi like the Virtus MCX for more use at his place. He can shoot where he lives just not as far as us so that's another reason we are saying no .30 that's too much.

So yes. Reality check is needed!

Anyway we are waiting on Benjamin to reply to his request for fixing his troubled gun or just a replacement. He probably is getting something else and if Benjamin is handling it it probably has to be another Crosman product. I doubt if they'd do a full refund because he didn't buy from them but from Pyramyd and they told him go to Benjamin.

Hey guys, I have a friend who is definitely not new to PB guns but is new to airguns and is looking for help.

He got himself into a delimma in that he bought a Benjamin Armada Semi Auto which sounded cool at first since it was supposed to use the SAM action on a Challenger stock.

However, it keeps chewing up the mags...He's tried 4 different OEM with both CPHP and JSB 18.13 and no luck.

So he's within a year of buying from Pyramyd (they actually sent out new mags already) and also in the 5 year Benjamin warranty.

But he's thinking about calling it quits and get something else.

So for the roughly $750 or whatever he may get as a return if Pyramyd takes it back, what do you guys suggest a left handed guy get?

He wanted the Semi because it didn't need cycled "backwards" for him since he shoots lefty. But there aren't many that are reliable semi that also get good power and have good build quality that Pyramyd sells cause I know you guys use stuff like Leshiy and other $$$ semis.

There were a few Hatsans like the Galatian Semi Tact or Vectis but not many reviews. Lever action seemed cool and he could do left handed. I know some Senecas too. Eagle Claw

He also keeps wanting more power, and says .30. Well the only .30 I'd suggest is a Umarex Gauntlet .30 but that's right hand bolt. He may work through it for the accuracy and power though. Obviously a Blitz would fit the bill if on sale but he's hand pumping...

He's more casual user, plinker, but wants power for pests raccoon or maybe a coyote.

So basically I need an idea to give him for either .25 cal or .30 cal PCP. He is hand pumping for now... so that limits those big bottle guns. A .25 Marauder would work but it is kinda out classed for the price by all competitors being it is unregulated and you only get like 16 shots.

But I'm wondering if he gets the Gauntlet .30 for power and the MCX PCP for his semi auto fix?

Or maybe a Hatsan .30 Break Barrel that would be left friendly but only 30 fpe...

Sorry for the long post this is a particular situation.

Thank you in advance!
Call or email this guy and explain the situation. He will take care of warranty work. Super nice guy and shoots PCPs himself. Loves the Akela.

Randy Holmes
Customer Service
Velocity Outdoor
Office 585-657-3116
[email protected]

Sticking with guns Pyramid offers I suggest a Aircuda Max or an Avenger if he wants a full length gun. Both come in 25. I have a 25 Avenger and it is tuned to about 42 fpe right now which I think is plenty. It is not maxed out, could make 50 with 33.95 grain. The cocking handle is on the right but I think that is better. I shoot from my left shoulder because I am left eye dominant. I like keeping my trigger hand in place while cocking. The magazine is far enough forward as is the cocking lever that there is no issue shooting them from the left shoulder.

If he wants left hand cocking and/or a bullpup, a Walter Reign would give you both. It is offered in 25. It is not regulated, the other two are. I did not consider my Avenger very hand pump friendly but it sounds like he is not into shooting so many shots at a sitting so it could be for him. The Reign has a bottle but it is only 200cc and it is inside the stock so it isn't much different from the other two to hand pump, I would think.
Avenger is what I got, too! I considered the .25 version but wanted to shoot CPHP. But then I modded mine and those things whistle out at like 950 lol Makes me rethink my purchase. 50 fpe is no joke!
I wouldn't have thought the cocking handle on the right would work for a lefty. Guess its due to it being a lever and not a bolt?

I forgot the Walther Reign existed. That'd be a good one for pumping air capacity wise and left hand swap although the reviews consistently say it is loud and apparently there's a M2 version coming that is regulated and easier to quiet down. Who knows when the US will get that, though.

Currently he doesn't shoot much but he may more if the gun worked. So yeah he'd pump and then shoot a bit then it wouldn't be for a while til he shot again. Higher shot count than 40 for all that pumping would make him enjoy the PCP experience more I'm sure. Especially because when he shoots it's with others whose do about 100 before refill.

Pyramid doesn't sell my favorite PCPs, my P35s. I had to order them from Krale. Less than $500, about 5 lbs, 60-100 shots per fill (depending on caliber and tune). My 177 and 22 are really accurate, my 25 less so but still plenty good for hunting and plinking, just not so great for target shooting. Magazine is flush and cocking handle can be on either side. I left it on the right. Documentation is poor, and they needed a little trigger work and crown polishing.

Pyramid doesn't sell my favorite PCPs, my P35s. I had to order them from Krale. Less than $500, about 5 lbs, 60-100 shots per fill (depending on caliber and tune). My 177 and 22 are really accurate, my 25 less so but still plenty good for hunting and plinking, just not so great for target shooting. Magazine is flush and cocking handle can be on either side. I left it on the right. Documentation is poor, and they needed a little trigger work and crown polishing.
He's contacting Benjamin to see what they'll do since it has 5 year warranty but I appreciate these suggestions in case that doesn't work out.

How long did that take for them to arrive in the US? Are those regulated?

Yes, the P35 is regulated. You have to open the air cylinder to change the regulator, however. It is not exactly hard but not nearly as easy as changing the Avenger regulator. If you or your friend look at them you should probably consider the Stoeger Bullshark too. It is available in the U. S. and almost the same gun. It has a 40mm longer barrel (490 instead of 450) and a different stock. It's a few ounces heavier. Krale ships right away and my first P35 got to my house in 4 days. The next two took longer because they got stuck in U. S. Customs for a couple days. I had to pay a duty on them too. Better to order one at a time, I think (but I'm glad I got them, the duty was not much and the guns are great). I've been making wood stocks. This is the latest, the wood is cherry.

P35 cherry stock.jpg

I also shoot left handed, All 3 of mine are right handed and i have no problems'. Know if there was a shell rejection now we have a problem lol . I have AEA 357 Big bore standard, 25, Avenger and 257 Airforce Texan that is my fav but, they are not hand pump rifles. He may want to think about getting a air compressor, sam yung or something like it. All 3 of mine will take out coyotes, The avenger i have has been modified for that reason. I think if he ever shot a Texan he would be hooked! A stock 257 has 170 fpe shooting 72gr slug and is a long range shooter.

IMG_20230404_174025035_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the P35 is regulated. You have to open the air cylinder to change the regulator, however. It is not exactly hard but not nearly as easy as changing the Avenger regulator. If you or your friend look at them you should probably consider the Stoeger Bullshark too. It is available in the U. S. and almost the same gun. It has a 40mm longer barrel (490 instead of 450) and a different stock. It's a few ounces heavier. Krale ships right away and my first P35 got to my house in 4 days. The next two took longer because they got stuck in U. S. Customs for a couple days. I had to pay a duty on them too. Better to order one at a time, I think (but I'm glad I got them, the duty was not much and the guns are great). I've been making wood stocks. This is the latest, the wood is cherry.
Looks like those are working really well for you! Id be a little worried for warranty work being those were imported but sounds like they work well enough for you to invest time in making that nice stock! I like the rear monopod. That must make bench shooting a breeze.