Hello to all

Welcome to Airgun Nation. What is your budget for a new PCP?

For a excellent Midgrade budget pcp airguns look into AEA from Bin Tac LLC OR The Pellet Shop (As your first PCP I would recommend using a bolt action if you go with a AEA because semi autos in general tend to be finicky or have issues) You'll want to do more research before deciding on brand and such of course, that you'll be happy with.
FX is one of the higher end brands and will naturally cost more
Unregulated pcps are centered around power for hunting but have a good acceptable level of accuracy
Regulated pcps better for target shooting if accuracy and shot count are your main concerns
You will want a compressor that can handle delivering 4500psi for larger tanks/bottles like 300cc and above
A hand pump would work on smaller pcps but if you want to go to 3000psi and above again you'll want a compressor
A compressor will cost you anywhere from $200 and above. The one I use ---> TOAUTO PRO PCP Pump Air Compressor Auto-Stop 30Mpa 12V/110V/220V High Pressure I paid $338 now on sale for $334.39
A good budget 4 stage hand pump around $100+ SPRITECH PCP Hand Pump, 4 Stage 4500Psi/30Mpa High Pressure Air Rifle Stirrup Pump

Last edited:
Reactions: pierceg
My budget is 1800 pre compressor.
I do not want to deal with selling and purchasing different model later.
My real wants are .17 or .22. mostly plinking.
So I'm just looking at brands and capabilities vs cost vs availability.
I've looked at the classified ads. Sever decent deals in there. However I can't pm them due to post count. But I'm reading a lot.
Compressor will be bought after rifle.

Thanks for the info and welcomes.

Reactions: BurntDog
I've looked at the classified ads. Sever decent deals in there. However I can't pm them due to post count. But I'm reading a lot.

Just take your time researching so you can avoid being displeased with your purchase. Plenty of knowledgeable people here to point you in the direction for a very good .177 .22 pcp

$1800 is a pretty good budget for a high end PCP. Does this include a scope and mounts? Also, how far do you plan to shoot out to and any hunting/pesting in mind?
Scope/rings unknown at this time. If I have to buy it afterwards, so be it. Depends on deal. New or used. I'm not opposed to used.
Not a great answer I know. But since I'm new to this I'm just letting the chips fall where they fall.
As far as shooting, 100 yards maximum is my desire. For both paper and pest. Not even sure if this is obtainable at that distance. So reading more is needed.

Reactions: BurntDog
You're doing good so far with your post count to get in the Classifieds if you're looking for used. Between .177 and .22, I'd go with a .22cal. If you plan to later shoot slugs, .22 has a lot slug offerings available now in different weights. It's a whole different world though so keep that in mind.

I'm not sure if you want a traditional rifle or bullpup. Air tube cylinder or bottle up front? If you really want high shot count, then go with a bottle. Can't go wrong with a Daystate Huntsman Revere. For bullpups, take a look at the Taipan Veteran, AGT Uragan 2, RTI Arms Prophet 2, AGT Vulcan 3. If you're willing to spend a little more, take a look at American Air Arms (AAA) Evol and Evol Paradigm.

Thanks for the additional info.
Definitely looking at front bottle setup.
I do not care for the bull pup look. Just my own opinion. Just based on looks. Traditional and tactical are more my style. Nothing against bullpups.
No problem at all. This really narrows it down. Take a look at Rapid Air Worx (RAW) which is a proven platform. They have their chassis version that comes in under $1800. If you want a nice laminate stock, they run about $200 more. Most will probably recommend the FX Crown MKII. If you're the type of person that likes to tinker and tune, it might fit you. Also look at the Brocock Sniper XR Magnum and their other Sniper XR series.

Welcome to the forum.
There are many good offerings in your price range. Take your time, use the forum, consider your shooting preference, and the location where you plan to shoot. Noise is also a consideration you may need a silencer. It doesn't take much to burn up the budget. BY the time you add gun, fill source, scope, ammo and all the other items.

Forgot to add....

I've never shot a PCP before.
Just the air guns that took the crossman style co2 cartridge. So I'm looking to upgrade

Hi. Unless you’re a major nerd/tinkerer, given your 1st pcp, this would be my best advice. You want to have the best experience out of the box. Buy from a dealer, preferably when on sale, just so you have support and a warranty. Dealers who have done right by me are: Airguns of Arizona, Utah Airguns, Pyramid, Pellet Shop, but there are plenty of others I’ve read on here so check ‘en out. I’d suggest keeping it simple and reliable. Although, my 1st suggestion would be one of the Brocock Commanders, depending upon the form factor, etc. I am really impressed with the XR Magnum, as I’ve written before. They are, however, a little heavier, but reliable, accurate, and somewhat modular. The RAW looks nice but I haven’t owned one yet, so let us know if you go that direction. There seems to be a lot of good ppl here that I’d buy a used one from but I’d want it to have been unmodified and that’s tough to verify. You just don’t want to have to fiddle with it too much or ship back and forth with your 1st and only one. Yeah, after you’re into it (which my bet is you will be), decide it’s your gig and get a backup, and a backup for your backup’s backup, then get one that is pre-owned and someone here has magically solved all the issues the mechanical engineers at the company couldn’t solve after all the R&D testing. Best of luck and be careful as these are definitely a step up from the CO2. Enjoy. BTW, if you don’t take my advice on buying new, which is perfectly advisable, a pre owned FX Royale 400 or 500 is another one of my favorites. It’s a bit plain, but man, it’s super accurate and very quiet paired with a Hugget snipe. Enjoy

Pierceg,
You'll find this forum a welcoming place. Can't argue one bit with all the excellent information shared, however, I'd like to suggest another approach. There are several "starter" PCPs, for around $400, that are accurate, modern designs which will introduce you to the hobby without a major investment. All are wood stock, traditional designs that can be easily filled with a high-pressure air hand pump. Listed in order of my personal preference, would be the JTS Airacuda Max, the DAR Generation 3 and the Air Venturi Avenger (Wood Stock). One of these, a Chinese eBay $50 hand pump, and a $100 scope/ring set will allow you to enjoy the true potential of the PCP hobby and allow time to determine, if you want, what that next choice might be. Following this forum should provide all the information needed. Best of Luck, WM

Appreciate all the positive comments.
It's pretty rare to be a newb on a forum and get so many results.
It's a growing sport especially now that we have a couple smaller budget friendly players in the game over the last several years. Just keep in mind that like with many new companies/products there will be issues and best to let the market sort out the bugs before jumping in on the latest designs you'll see what I mean when you research AEA S45 semi auto which is why I have and recommend their bolt action (semi auto sounds and looks cool but not if you have one issue after another). Also I'm sure (coming from the powder world as did I) you have seen some cringe videos of what appears to be a newcomer in the pcp/shooting world having little to no firearms safety background (poor muzzle awareness and or trigger discipline even using poor back stops) the comments I would leave, lol. These PCP airguns (especially Big Bore are putting out 300FPE and above) more people are using them to humanely and legally take large game. Again, Welcome to the modern world of PCP air gunning be safe and have fun. Oh, please use certified safety glasses when filling or shooting a PCP airgun and always degas your gun when doing any work other then mounting a scope and such, Murphy's Law.

Last edited: