• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hello I'm new here

Just ordered my first pcp.

Fx dream line classic .25 with the element helix.

I have so many questions most of which I can answer myself by stop and think for a minute is there anything I should know? 

Edit: fx 4stage pump, hades, ploymag, hunter masters (emperor and king), gto, and crow magnums. I'm waiting to order King heavies when they're back in stock. 

Welcome aboard. You’ll find many knowledgeable people here on AGN that area always willing to help when you need it. There are many great people here on AGN. 

When you get your air gun, clean the barrel thoroughly, get the scope mounted properly and then put 200-300 rounds through it to season the barrel and let things settle in. After that, I’d get 5-6 different pellets and start testing to see which ones your gun likes best. Shoot, shoot, shoot and have fun!!!

Stoti 

Hand pump slow and deliberate. Take breaks after about 40 strokes to allow the pump to cool. Heat ruins the seals on hand pumps. Keep that pump properly lubed with silicone oil and silicone oil @ 100% only! One day you’ll have to fix some type of leak in your gun, use 100% silicone oil/grease only!

after cleaning your barrel as STOTI suggested, make sure and lube your pellets. Some folks use lemon pledge furniture polish spray, others use Napier, I use FP10. Whatever you use, just use enough to lightly coat the pellets. Lubing your ammo will prolong the cleanliness of your barrel.

Lastly for now, start saving for a carbon fibre fill tank or SCBA. Especially since you live close to a fill source. Pumping will get old, especially if you would like to shoot for a good four hours. Pumping just takes the relaxation fun out of pcp target shooting.

I think many of us, or even most, started out with a hand pump. It can definitely be done but after using it a bit you’ll see why most of us do not use them anymore. It is work, takes a while and isn’t fun. Tanks and compressors are just so fast, easy and convenient but in the beginning, we spend on air guns, scopes, rings, etc... 😆 Don’t sweat it though, it’s part of the process, get a tank or compressor when you can afford it, Have fun!!!

Stoti

Welcome aboard Little moose. Things will ramp up fast for your want list. Spend your money wisely. Bottom line, you need air. Check out the "yong heng" compressor. Head over to ebay and pick up a used Scott tank or other brand with at least 5 years life remaining. Use the hand pump for backup. Before long your collection will grow. More shooting, more air....

Hill hand pump 300 bucks yong heng compressor 300 bucks No brainer
9D7A3BBF-F711-46AC-9258-A8C21E2293B8.1618265094.jpeg

Welcome! You can definitely hand pump a dreamline, it wont be easy or fun.. Well I take that back, it will be really fun the first 5-10 times because you will be excited to shoot! Then you will be thinking "do I really want to shoot today? I'll just have to pump that dang gun again" lol. But dont be discouraged and think you have to buy an electric pump or air tank right now, if you are in decent shape without any medical issues you should have no problem pumping that gun up. A warning though, your first time is going to SUCK because you have to pump up that cylinder from 0 or 1000 or whatever they left it at. Eventually as you enjoy your gun you will invest in an easier air source... we all said we wouldnt, but most have. My buddy went compressor, I went tank (so i can bum his compressor to fill it) and together we have a good system to go shooting with. When you get looking, if you just have the one gun and dont shoot at a public range then the 12 volt 4500psi compressors are pretty dang nice. Would be loud and distracting if you are at a public range, but for filling up at an outdoor shooting area or at your house they are kick-butt. 

Dont forget a bipod or shooting bags to sight in your gun with! Otherwise thats about all I can think of you need besides targets. Maybe pick up a patchworm kit to clean with. You'll want to run a few patches down it first to make sure theres no crud in there (shouldnt be bad) so you get your best accuracy, then you'll never clean it again until you see your accuracy slipping. 

Congrats on getting an awesome gun.

One of the great things about airguns in my opinion is that you have a lot of options when it comes to your level of commitment. Personally I enjoy having a gun (I have a FX streamline) that all I have to do is put air and pellets in it ( I also have a pump and have been using it for years, and this is the one thing that I do clean fairly often). I dont clean the barrel (although when it comes from the factory you probably want to get the grease out of the barrel), I dont lube or clean pellets (I just keep an eye out for badly damaged ones), and I think that I probably enjoy having about 90 to 95 percent of the accuracy of my gun is capable of. I personally enjoy this more because I would not have enough time otherwise. 
However, if you want to spend the time doing all those things (and more), you will see the benefits, and might enjoy your experience more. Again its really up to you and what you enjoy doing. 

I know the barrel cleaning is a hill some people will die on, probably because their gun greatly benefits from cleaning, but I dont think that for the FX barrels it is needed. But dont just take my word for it, Matt Dubber is a big name in the airgun world, and I think you might know about him because you have one of his scopes :), but if not look him up on youtube. He says that he dosnt clean his barrels (although I do think he might clean them right after getting the gun for the first time) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaeGVbasD7Q&t=2512s
I have been following his lead and have not regretted it when it comes to cleaning. 
Anyway this is all just opinion, so find what you like to do and just enjoy it. 

Reactions: LittleMoose
Will it cause premature where on the seals? Is this model specific? I did go with the original tube reservoir.

I'm not opposed to an info dump. Please elaborate?

A book will come with your rifle. Read it. Yes, you need to read instructions. Some will destroy regulators if you lower pressure while there is pressure in the tank. Little things like that, you need to know.

It will tell you the recommended storage pressure. This keep seals and o rings operating.

Welcome to the mayhem. Have fun learning. It has been quite the journey for me, even though I have been using break action for decades.