Hello from the Ozark Mountains.

Hello all. Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself.
I have used air guns, mostly springers and pump up for over 45 years. I recently decided to dip my toes into the PCP pool, or maybe just dive right in. I am a teacher at heart and currently an adjunct professor at a major southern university. I now only teach online classes from home. I thought it might be a good idea to let you know what my situation is, and what I am looking to accomplish.
I plan to purchase a quality .25 caliber PCP to get started and learn the proverbial ropes. Shoot some varmints in the process.
I am wondering if buying a dive tank or compressor is the way to go as well.
Plan B is to purchase a large bore PCP later this spring\summer and hunt deer with it this fall.
I live in a rural area with no shops within a 100 miles that I know of, where I can put my hands on a gun before I purchase. Bummer. I do have a couple of dive shops within 30 miles to have tanks filled.
I hate the idea of spending that kind of money on a weapon without the normal tactile satisfaction.
I have 2 ranges with benches here at the house. Each is 100 yards long. One faces East, the other West for am or pm shooting.
As with any first steps into a new endeavor, I understand the up front equipment costs will be substantial. I have budgeted about 3 thousand dollars to get the job started.
I hope that will cover the air guns and some type of air supply.
I hope that answers most of your initial questions, but I am sure there will be more. Ask away.
I am looking forward to reading through some of the past post to gain more knowledge.
Thanks

Hello Doc, I suggest the slow and steady approach. Compressors are really coming down in price, definitely a buyers market. I suggest an Omega compressor. I have had one for five years and no issues but research is your friend. A lot of people like the Yong Hen compressors, think tinkerers.

Youtube is your friend. Do a lot of research there first then figure out your wants.

Lots of good vendors, definitely a buyers market. Shop around. Good deals on the classifieds, check them out.

Long range shooting you might want to look at RAW, FX or Daystate first. They are the big kids on the block. AGN, Cricket and Taipans are eastern European bad asses. Stay away from Edgun, Russian is bad.

Got any questions shoot me a PM!

Have fun and enjoy the journey!

Reactions: Bollweevil
Welcome Doc. I got into the pcp world about a year ago. Similar situation as yours, in that my work travel was slowing, and I had a bit more time for another hobby. It is addictive. My son has been shooting these pcp's for a bit, and directed me well. Also, I cannot express the amount of help that I have gained from this forum and several helpful members here. I started with a Brocock Commander XR in .22, then also picked up two Taipans (.22, & .25). I have since sold my .22 Taipan only because I wasn't shooting it much and it was identical to my .25 in every way.

I don't know about the compressors, but my son and a friend went together and purchased a Fast 35 from American air works. They keep my bottle filled and I am happy. :) Consider the Daystate which is the Cadillac of Brocock, Brocock, or Taipan, and I think you will be pleased. Those suggestions were given to me by several on here about a year ago, and they were correct. I am sure there are other good rifles like the FX and others, but I have no experience with them. I like to shoot and not tinker and constantly adjust.

My son did suggest that I start with a .22 for three reasons. The efficiency of air use and ability to try so many pellets more cheaply and they are normally much easier to attain locally. I have since started shooting some slugs also which is an all together different enjoyment.

Best of Luck!

Chris in AL

Last edited:
what Max said plus Welcome to AGN the best place to be ! I will say a $3k budget will get you a gun and air supply . a gun in the 1800.00 range will pest and target @ 100 . i would say Daystate is what you should look at , FX is a tinkerer's gun , i do not know of anyone that does not screw around with a FX a lot . You said a .25 to start and later a deer gun . Omega trail charger should air up those two guns I have one and it works just great but it is not designed to fill a tank .

For PCPs I'm a huge proponent of having a 4500psi bulk tank and enjoying the economy and simplicity of having a local dive shop handle the air for at least a while. The tank isn't cheap but if even if you end up with your own compressor you'll probably want it anyway and the tank + dive shop can always be your backup.

I owned a Daystate Hunstman XL .22, RAW HM1000X .30, Anschutz 2002 .177, and FX Crown .22. Buying new there really isn't much worry about not handling them before buying. They are all excellent fit, finish, accuracy, and triggers and I spend a lot of time with match Anschutz rifles and the like. Cheaper brands might take a little more faith or tolerance for imperfection.

Most any .25 pcp has plenty of power for taking small game, but IMHO if you plan to shoot anything bigger than birds and rats you want to do some research on the critter and the power level required to dispatch it in various ways. For example I took groundhogs with my .22 Huntsman which was around 30fpe but I limited myself to pointed pellets and back-of-head shots that would surely penetrate their bony skulls.

For deer I think you'll need a dedicated big-bore airgun with high power (and very low shot count - like 2 shots per fill). Honestly I see no reason to take deer with an airgun unless airguns are your choice and obsession. I'd just whack em with a powderburner and save my air and airgun resources for other situations.

The ideal PCP for you might be one that adjusts between prey-taking power and plinking power easily. My FX Crown is pretty good for that use case.

Reactions: Bigragu
I started out my PCP journey on the cheap with an Umarex Origin.

I had been fascinated by PCPs for a long while and the Origin was really an impulse buy.
I was at an Academy store and walked by the airgun section and a box caught my eye because it had a picture of a hand pump on it. I ended up taking one home. Not that night, but a week or two later after doing a little Google research on it.

Long story short, I paid just at $300 for it and it had everything I needed except for an optic and ammo.
I turned out to be a surprisingly powerful and accurate cheap gun.

The bad news PCPs seem to be more of an addiction than a hobby. But that's another story.
Umarex Origin, Air Ventury Avenger. Benjamin Marauder, or any of a number of others are a great afordable start to a really fun hobby.
The higher end guns are tempting, but I hesitate to recommend them to anyone new to PCPs. Keep it simple at first.

Reactions: silvershooter589
If I was starting from scratch knowing what I know now.... and had 100 yard range in my yard (which I do)... I would buy an Umarex Guantlet 30 caliber. Yup, 30. You can turn down the hammer spring and get a lot of shots with the lighter pellets if you want, shooting them in the 800 fps range. But it also shoots pellets with great accuracy at over 1000 fps. Or you can shoot some heavier slugs and still be shooting 900 fps (this is max power). I think I've gotten about 118 fpe max and around 75 fpe on the low end depending on ammo and hammer spring adjustment.

The only downside is 30 ammo is more expensive per shot vs 25 and you will give your compressor a bit more of a workout to keep it filled if you're shooting max power. But the G2 30 sidelever is going to be available soon as well. The gun is a real sleeper for under $500, and best of all you won't regret not getting something that can really kick it to 100 yards and slap those gongs.

So I would get that and maybe a Xisico/GX CS3 compressor, which should last you hopefully a couple years before some maintenance is needed. You're at $1000 there and all you need is a scope. Ayin "Reaper" 6-24x FFP is a nice option for about $170.

Then you'll want a barrel band and some accessories for the gun, but that's pennies on the dollar.

Edit: oops, you're gonna want a moderator on a 30 cal. + $120 or so

I also fully endorse jmohme's suggestion of an Umarex Origin 25 plus using a hand pump. Although I must admit my Guantlet 2 25 doesn't get a lot of use since I picked up the Guantlet 2 in .30

Last edited:
Reactions: jmohme
Hello Doc, I suggest the slow and steady approach. Compressors are really coming down in price, definitely a buyers market. I suggest an Omega compressor. I have had one for five years and no issues but research is your friend. A lot of people like the Yong Hen compressors, think tinkerers.

Youtube is your friend. Do a lot of research there first then figure out your wants.

Lots of good vendors, definitely a buyers market. Shop around. Good deals on the classifieds, check them out.

Long range shooting you might want to look at RAW, FX or Daystate first. They are the big kids on the block. AGN, Cricket and Taipans are eastern European bad asses. Stay away from Edgun, Russian is bad.

Got any questions shoot me a PM!

Have fun and enjoy the journey!
Thanks Max. I spent this afternoon reading post and doing searches on every gun talked about. Learned a lot. I am also a big proponent of research.
I think the research is half of the fun.

If I was starting from scratch knowing what I know now.... and had 100 yard range in my yard (which I do)... I would buy an Umarex Guantlet 30 caliber. Yup, 30. You can turn down the hammer spring and get a lot of shots with the lighter pellets if you want, shooting them in the 800 fps range. But it also shoots pellets with great accuracy at over 1000 fps. Or you can shoot some heavier slugs and still be shooting 900 fps (this is max power). I think I've gotten about 118 fpe max and around 75 fpe on the low end depending on ammo and hammer spring adjustment.

The only downside is 30 ammo is more expensive per shot vs 25 and you will give your compressor a bit more of a workout to keep it filled if you're shooting max power. But the G2 30 sidelever is going to be available soon as well. The gun is a real sleeper for under $500, and best of all you won't regret not getting something that can really kick it to 100 yards and slap those gongs.

So I would get that and maybe a Xisico/GX CS3 compressor, which should last you hopefully a couple years before some maintenance is needed. You're at $1000 there and all you need is a scope. Ayin "Reaper" 6-24x FFP is a nice option for about $170.

Then you'll want a barrel band and some accessories for the gun, but that's pennies on the dollar.

Edit: oops, you're gonna want a moderator on a 30 cal. + $120 or so

I also fully endorse jmohme's suggestion of an Umarex Origin 25 plus using a hand pump. Although I must admit my Guantlet 2 25 doesn't get a lot of use since I picked up the Guantlet 2 in .30
Silvershooter.
Thanks for the info. I considered the .30 at first. To hunt deer here in Arkansas, it must be at least a .40 caliber. .30 is just too close to spend the money on slugs. Figured the .25 is good for critters and paper both. Will keep it in mind

Reactions: silvershooter589
For deer I think you'll need a dedicated big-bore airgun with high power (and very low shot count - like 2 shots per fill). Honestly I see no reason to take deer with an airgun unless airguns are your choice and obsession. I'd just whack em with a powderburner and save my air and airgun resources for other situations.
You bring up a very valid point. Short story is that I am a bowhunter who has just about aged out of the sport. Age and physical limitations have left me unable to retrieve my game after the shot. This mountainous region means that once hit, if a deer runs 30 yards, it has ran down a hill that I can no longer drag the deer back up. I need to anchor them on the spot, or at least increase the chances of it. Air guns will limit my shots to 50 yards or less so the enjoyment of up close and personal interactions is still a part of the hunt.
A clean shot with a .45 caliber slug to the brachial nerve cluster will drop them in their tracks.
The 50 yard limit is of course, self imposed. I understand some of these air guns are capable of longer shots.
Unfortunately, if this foray does not work the way I hoped, I will probably have to give up hunting deer. I find no enjoyment in harvesting deer with powder burners anymore. They are just for punching holes and ringing steel nowadays.

Thanks for all the great information so far. It has generated almost as many questions as answers. LOL.

First and foremost is my initial decision to start with .25 Caliber. Perhaps if I expound on my intentions it will help.
I would like to use my small caliber gun to punch paper and take small game, like squirrels, pigeons, and feral cats. I am hoping to
target shoot at 100 yards with it.
What I do not want to do is spend half of my initial budget on the first gun. As you said, slow and steady to start.
Can I accomplish my goals with a .22 caliber shooting slugs for more terminal energy?
I was hoping to keep the initial gun purchase to 600 to 800 dollars.
What are some of your ideas?
thanks
Doc

Welcome Doc.
I live in Russellville Ar. I have a .25 caliber RedWolf Rosso, FX Impact Mark 2, FX Impact Mark 3 that I would be glad to let you shoot and see if you like them. I can also have a few other rifles brought over as well. I also have a Alkin W-31 Air Compressor for you to look at as well. There are a few of us in the area from Hot Springs to Russellville that get together and shoot paper.

Welcome Doc.
I live in Russellville Ar. I have a .25 caliber RedWolf Rosso, FX Impact Mark 2, FX Impact Mark 3 that I would be glad to let you shoot and see if you like them. I can also have a few other rifles brought over as well. I also have a Alkin W-31 Air Compressor for you to look at as well. There are a few of us in the area from Hot Springs to Russellville that get together and shoot paper.
And this is the true value of forums such as this.(y)

Welcome Doc.
Ghost.
That would be amazing. You are more than welcome to come up here and shoot, or I am certainly willing to travel there. Save the trouble of packing all your toys to travel. We should set up a "play day" soon. I have a pretty open schedule. Send me a pm or something and we can work out the details.
doc

Reactions: MountainGhost
Howdy Doc! I'm just outside of Fayetteville if you're anywhere close...I've got a few PCP's in .177, .22, .25, and .30 you could try here. I shoot from a table on my back deck at up to 70 yards in my back yard.
Thanks Arkie45.
I am about 2 hours away depending on which side of Fayetteville you are on. I would enjoy trying them out sometime. The more I can learn the better.
I have tons of questions. Imagine it is a little like learning to fish only just online, having never even cast a pole. Lol. I am more than just a little overwhelmed at this point. All of you have been great. Contact me as your schedule allows and I will be happy to drive down.
doc

If you go the dive shop route for refills:
1. You definitely want a 74 or 98 cubic foot 4500psi carbon fiber tank/s.
2. Check with the OWNER of the dive shop to see if they will fill to 4500psi. Many won’t.
3. If the dive shop will fill to 4500psi, see what they require as far as yearly tank inspection.
4. Also see if there are paintball stores in the area, they sometimes fill to 4500psi. Sometimes fire departments fill them too but check around. Also, if your college has an engineering department, they might have a compressor or booster that could keep you in air, till you retire anyway.

Your level of addiction will decide for you if a home compressor is the best route. In the beginning, if a dive or paintball shop will fill for you, that’s good, but down the road a compressor will of course be much more convenient.
Compressors is a whole ’nuther category. On this forum, members own probably every compressor brand ever sold. Some with excellent results, some, not so much. If you really get addicted, the Alkin W-31 mentioned earlier by a member is a very popular very long life option, or, the cream of the crop Bauer compressor. But you’ll spend $3500- $5000 for one of those two options. The upside to a top shelf compressor is that if you ever quit, you can get a good buck for them.

Welcome, you’re in for a good time, especially with the hunting part. And, I’m very jealous that you not only have a hundred yard range, but one in each direction. Darn you. 👍👍

Randy