Hello from a newbie!!

First off, I'm very glad to have found this forum!! Here's how my new hobby cam to be .... 

I work in a gun store, am the president of a gun club, hold a 03FFL, deal with both firearms and archery and I'm old!! Now that my background has been established, someone walked into the gun shop I work at and wanted to sell a Sheridan Silver Streak made in 1975. The owner of the shop wasn't interested but that Sheridan just screamed at me. I got it for $40 and finally got to shoot it yesterday. after having to order 20cal pellets online. That Silver Streak is one accurate little rifle and brought me back to when I was a kid. I read up on it some and cleaned it thoroughly and gave it one pump and put it away until the next time as suggested by Sheridan. Highly impressed!!
I went shopping with the wife at wallyworld yesterday and couldn't resist the temptation to try a newer air rifle so I bought a Benjamin Prowler in.22cal on sale for $80. I watched a very interesting video on you tube about how this reviewer cleans the heck out of the barrel on a new gun to get the best accuracy. I did as he did and then took it out back to sight it in. WOW!! 5 pellets in the same hole only slightly expanding it as they passed through. I bought Ruger pellets that are pointed for this. So, since I do compete in .22LR competitions at local gun clubs, I figured these air rifles may be something to look a little further into. Yes ... I am now addicted. I am looking at the older air guns at this point because I love vintage things but I am loving this hobby. I know the upper line airguns will come at some point, but I'm having alot of fun with what I have acquired in the last week. 

I just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks for such a great forum and look forward to adding to the collection and asking you gurus questions OFTEN!! ;)

You got a good deal on that Sheridan!! I hope your enthusiasm spreads to the other shooters in your club.

Very often when people get their hands on a good quality adult airgun they are quite impressed because, yeah, a lot of us equate airguns with those lever action bb guns we played with as children and there's so much more to airguns than that these days.

And let me recommend a .22 cal Diana 34 as your next acquisition. In the next couple months, a new model will be coming out and they are going to be nice! Not that they weren't already very very nice shooters.

might I say go slow, my fist air gun was at 7 or 8 and I will be 70 next month and in my case there was much time between air and powder guns

there are many old and new gun both in pistol and rifle that would make a powder shooter envious on how well they can shoot

there value is a very important place to start and let me recommend a Airgun Blue Book, there new edition will be out in the spring and it will be good money spent

so when you read this forum or others you will see guns mentioned and you will nothing about them but if you have the time or take the time look up that gun learn about it, because educating yourself about this hobby is in my mind a very large part of this hobby

just like the powder burner side it is a very big learning curve

nice to see you on the forum and enjoy your journey and remember we have all made mistakes but as I always say it is a buy to try world, I for one know this very well

take care

mike

1580946554_5505594995e3b547ae10899.44106332_PY-4797_RAW-HMX1000-LRT-Air_1548172993.jpg
welcome to the forum. Don't spend so much on your new hobby that your wife leaves you...... That's not a joke it's happened before. It will happen again. Good luck! Great deal on the sheridan btw. Prowler is a good gun for 80 bucks too. 

Welcome to the AGN. I just got into air guns 2 years ago and it is one of the greatest things I have ever embarked upon. I have shot powder burners for 60 years. I have a range in the basement and a wife that is happy when I am happy so I can shoot all I want in the cold months. Air guns and a great wife, am I blessed or what? Anyway the guys here are great as they share their knowledge as well as help you spend your money. And always remember, no question is stupid so ask away and we will help you anyway we can and do all we can to make you feel welcome. Welcome aboard!

welcome to the rabbit hole

Couldn't have said it better myself. It starts with one, then another, then...

For $80, that prowler sounds like a really nice deal if you're getting one-hole groups with it! From there, there are totally different levels of quality (and cost) that can be explored, but, regardless of what you have, it you enjoy shooting it, that's all that matters. And the best part about airguns is you can set up a range just about anywhere, including a basement, and shoot almost anytime you feel like it. ! I've got about 12 meters in mine and shoot (in my PJ's no less) 4-5 times a week once the kids are in bed. 

At any rate, this is a great place to be with a lot of knowledge and friendly folks. So, Welcome indeed!

Welcome! What a wonderful bit of luck to get that Silver Streak. Once upon a time I owned two Blue Streaks but I always wanted one of those pretty ones. My Blue Streaks, shooting the Sheridan 5mm pellets would keep all of their shots on a match book cover at 25 yards. At the time (1976) I was disappointed and called Sheridan to ask about that. The lady I spoke with said, "What do you expect from an air rifle?" Truth is, I did not know what to expect as I had never shot anything but PBs and the one .22 I had was a real tack driver.

Sure did like those Sheridans. Take good care of that one.