Hello - First Post On Airgun Nation Forums

Hello To All, ✋ Jack Here!

I'm glad to have found this forum. I am getting into air rifles primarily to hunt the rabbits that are raiding my wife's garden.

Forty yards is the longest possible shot. I'm a very good shot with my bolt action centerfire rifles. Five shots within a 50 cent 

piece at 100 yards when seated at the bench. We'll eat the rabbits that are killed as my wife's an amature gourmet chef. So,

if I can get a rifle that's accurate enough, with a high quality scope that will gather light well, at dusk and later, I'll aim at the

head/neck junction for instant immobilization or death. I've been reading about caliber and all, and at this point I'm headed

toward a .22 as things sit. I want to hear your suggestions for a very good scope and rifle for my intended use. Thank you 

for your responses and help! 👍

Welcome the cheapest effective tool for the job just went up by a whopping $10.00 but still a great deal and here's a hand pump and dont need a filter unless you live in humid enviornment. No spring gun will consistently outshot it out to past 100 yards except the RWS 54 and 56.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2083201846

Hand pump either buy this one or other rebadged versions and pay 3-4x for the same pump like the Air Venturi pump.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/High-Pressure-Airgun-PCP-Pump-Hand-Pump-3-Stage-Air-Rifle-4500-Psi-Pistol-Charging/191201170?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=18988&&adid=22222222228304002534&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=380543259313&wl4=aud-393207457166:pla-811664823786&wl5=9032751&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=125210027&wl11=online&wl12=191201170&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQiAifz-BRDjARIsAEElyGI3sBGRiszCnejuqcJT3w73G8vE9ElgT14-LyyoLbV5gRV0jSTCZ4oaAu29EALw_wcB

I have been through all of the pump guns, Co2 guns and springers as well. Now days a PCP gun is always my first choice. Easy to shoot accurate and powerful they are. But it's all about you and the funds you have to spend. It's great spend other peoples money but we need to know how much you have to spend first.

With the purchase of a PCP will come the required hand pump or small compressor, or tank to fill from. So it can get expensive fast. Still if you can get by with a single shot gun Midway has the Benjamin Maximus PCP at a very considerable savings right now. So good I just had to buy one even though I did not need it. With an inexpensive Chinese PCP hand pump you can start protecting that garden right away for around $200. I really love my $2K Impact that I have sunk $4K plus into the way it sits now though.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2083201846

Benjamin still makes it's pumpers and they would werq for allot less money. If you don't mind pumping for every shot these things are still around and werq as good as they ever did. At under $200 the gun and some pellets is all you need to get pesting right away. Although a cheap scope on top would make those 40 yard shots a bit easier. I still have my Sheridan .20 caliber and after 30 years it still werqs great.

https://www.crosman.com/benjamin-392-22

Nothing wrong with a decent spring gun either and they also would be suitable for the requirements you have in mind.

Not a fan of the Chinese springers which many are but the German and UK made guns are very well made.

I have several RWS Diana guns and they are all accurate very well put together and durable. The 54 being my favorite and one of the best spring guns made. Although it is a heavyweight for sure at 10lbs

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spring-piston/rws-model-54-air-king/

Looks like Odoyle thinks and types faster than me but he says mostly the same things anyway. ;^)

CHECK THIS OUT!!!

ANYBODY TRY THESE YET?

AT LEAST THESE ARE PRICED ACCORDINGLY FOR MADE IN CHINA SCOPES.

Chinese scopes cost $40-$90 anyway FOB from China.

Screenshot_2020-12-20-20-34-292.1608532957.png
Screenshot_2020-12-20-20-33-452.1608532957.png

Welcome aboard! I found interest in your thread because that is how I began with air guns...Squirrels stealing tomatoes out of the garden. I do not have any recommendations for you, and will lets others help you there.

I did start out with a couple of the “crack barrel” spring guns, but that was a disaster of an experience with those inaccurate guns.

PCP airguns are another story though and are very accurate. Hand pumping them is not so bad if physically able to manage that for the occasional dispatching of pest.

I wound up with a Marauder myself that I still own many years later, but there are other cheaper guns that can accomplish the same. I like that the Marauder is a workhorse with very few issues that can arise, so is very dependable. It is also a very quiet gun that set the standard for how quiet airguns should be that many have tried to emulate ever since. One of the main reasons for me selecting this repeater PCP.

As far as scopes, unless you want to get into ED glass with 34mm tubes and 56mm diameter objectives (heavy), You would be better off with a light setup of some sort. The rabbits typically will not run off here with a light switched on before I have time to set the sights on them.

Jack here again - THANK YOU ALL !!!

{I'm in the U.S.A. - Florida since June 2012 (I left the north-east U.S.A. at age 52.)}

The responses above are VERY helpful! They are so informative, and I am going to click on each link!

I'm reading write-ups about rifles that have a trait referred to as "REGULATED". Is that an important aspect?

Do you all feel a two-stage trigger is important?

I'd prefer a quieter rifle, over one considered loud.

Budget: $500-$1000 for a .22 caliber rifle, scope and whatever else I'd need to hunt down these rabbits.

Do you all maintain that for rabbits .22 caliber makes sense?

If the .22 is accurate, you will have no issues with head shots. Of course, the .25 cal will hit them with a bigger hole punch, and can be more forgiving if the shot has not been ideally placed.

The .22s can deliver as much punch energy wise, but typically that means modifications to the gun for the heavier ammo used in .22 cal to move much faster to equal the lower end of a stock .25 cal.

Rabbits are not tough critters. It does not take much to knock them down and out.

My suggestion is a mid level gun, an air source and budget glass. You can upgrade at a later date. The cool kids have the coolest toys, and there is a lot of brand name pressure. Get started with a decent rig and worry about the kardashian stuff later when you can make your own decisions.

500-600 gun (there are many to choose from), and some 300 dollar guns are quite good too.

400.00 for a direct fill air pump, Young Heng is the kleenex of this market.

100-200 scope, although I have had great success with a 80.00 scope.

Welcome to the family, AGN is the place to be.

Don't need a potentially troublesome regulator if buying a good enough unregulated Benjamin Maximus that shoots dead on for 25 or so shots no adjustments needed and first shots always dead on unlike some regulated guns that miss your target on their first shots that can fail and creep at any unannounced unwelcomed inopportune time and unfortunately you won't know when it failed till you missed that first money shot. Simple is best for reliability and accuracy no matter how cheap.

The $145 22 Maximus with $51 hand pump is more than adequate for the least money spent in relation to how much accuracy you get at 100+ yards. Nothing can match it's accuracy in this price point. 2 inch spinner targets at 100 yards what other airgun can hit it 95-100 % of the time? ANY $700 Break barrel or underlever Springer I think not!

Want nickel sized groups easy at 65 yards? Something easy to pump to only 2000psi?

Want more of a challenge so you can miss your 65-100 yard shots then buy a spring gun that's not the RWS 54 or 56 that will actually hit your 65-100 hard targets just as easy as the Maximus can. All other springers won't do it consistently.

If only shooting up to 35 yards just about any spring gun should do ONLY if you have your ON GAME FOR THE SHOOTING SESSION once you get used to it but not at 65-100 yards and beyond.

Odoyle,

Thanks for your above post. I am keying in on what I've copied and pasted below, which are your words exactly: 

"Want more of a challenge so you can miss your 65-100 yard shots then buy a spring gun

that's not the RWS 54 or 56 that will actually hit your 65-100 hard targets just as easy as the

Maximus can. All other springers won't do it consistently."

If I get your meaning right, an RWS 54 or 56 has accuracy on par with the MAXIMUS, which you strongly endorse.

The MAXIMUS needs air bottles, which need to be pumped full of air by a hand pump, or other more sophisticated

refilling method, and those have a cost attached.
The RWS 54 and 56 are springer rifles, so simpler to shoot over and over again, and less costly to do so.

I am leaning that way. Thank you again!

Jack here again - THANK YOU ALL !!!

{I'm in the U.S.A. - Florida since June 2012 (I left the north-east U.S.A. at age 52.)}

The responses above are VERY helpful! They are so informative, and I am going to click on each link!

I'm reading write-ups about rifles that have a trait referred to as "REGULATED". Is that an important aspect?

Do you all feel a two-stage trigger is important?

I'd prefer a quieter rifle, over one considered loud.

Budget: $500-$1000 for a .22 caliber rifle, scope and whatever else I'd need to hunt down these rabbits.

Do you all maintain that for rabbits .22 caliber makes sense?

Welcome Jack

Based off your im post I think a Walther Reign .22cal would serve you well. It can be filled with handpump and should give you plenty of shots with good power in .22cal I think they run about 550 to 650$ it also comes in .25cal..

Good luck 👍 

Odoyle,

Thanks for your above post. I am keying in on what I've copied and pasted below, which are your words exactly: 

"Want more of a challenge so you can miss your 65-100 yard shots then buy a spring gun

that's not the RWS 54 or 56 that will actually hit your 65-100 hard targets just as easy as the

Maximus can. All other springers won't do it consistently."

If I get your meaning right, an RWS 54 or 56 has accuracy on par with the MAXIMUS, which you strongly endorse.

The MAXIMUS needs air bottles, which need to be pumped full of air by a hand pump, or other more sophisticated

refilling method, and those have a cost attached.
The RWS 54 and 56 are springer rifles, so simpler to shoot over and over again, and less costly to do so.

I am leaning that way. Thank you again!

I grab my silenced Maximus first because the RWS 54 and 56 can't be made near silent like the Maximus and if you got neighbors they will definitely know you are shooting a gun of some sort that you can't quiet down. They may even think you shooting a 22 Rimfire next door because of the long distance echo crack sound when fired thats not a supersonic crack just like a powderburner shot fired sound at 100 yards away.

I'd pump a 2000psi per 25 shots Benjamin Maximus any day compared to side cocking the RWS 54 and 56 all day long for each and every shot because my neighbors can't hear me shooting it at all unless they heat the TWACK OR POP of the bird being hit8.

Given both have the same accuracy at 100 yards you don't wanna carry a scoped 11+ pound RWS 54 or 56 vs a 6.5+ pound scopes Maximus.

It's the sheer heavy weight and loud bang that makes me not shoot my 54 and 56 at all in my current residential neighborhood. Neighbors called the cops when I was shooting an RWS 54 INSIDE THE HOUSE into a silent backstop early one night. I had no idea anyone could hear the very loud bang from next door outside shot within a house with all closed doors and windows.

If you don't mind the heavy weight and super loud bang crack echo like a 22 Rimfire when shooting it and no neighbors to call the cops on you then go for it.

If you going hunting outside in open field where who cares if anything goes BANG!!! then shoot it on shooting sticks or Caldwelll field pod.

If the Maximus was available for $145.00 at the time when I bought my first TWO $499.99 apiece RWS 54s I probably wouldn't own half of what I have in my NON RWS 54 AND 56 Springer collection.

Back then I been hand pumping a 3000psi Career II 707 and a 3000psi Daystate CR97 and a 3000psi Falcon Light Hunter FN12.

There's a major difference pumping to 3000psi compared how easy it is to stop at 2000psi for the Maximus probably a 14 year old kid can pump a Maximus and I would have shot more Maximus than spring guns back then. In fact probably would shoot the Maximus the most regardless of cheapness based on how easy it was to pump it.

People who advise buying NON RWS 54 AND 56 don't plan on shooting 100 yards and beyond they normally shoot 30-40 yards max within recoilling spring and gas ram gun limits.

A $145 Maximus will outshoot any non RWS 54 and 56 at 100-150+ yards consistently regardless of spring gun price including $800 spring guns like Air Arms Pro Sport and Walthers and original FWB sport prices.

Spend $350-$550 for HW brand spring guns to limit your shots to 40 maybe 50 yards max accuracy buy you are the hindering factor to recoilling spring guns consistent repeatable accuracy here can't afford to have an off day unlike with PCPs doesn't matter especially if it's not regulated there's absolutely no excuses to miss that first money shot.

If you are the majority type to feel a need to spend big bux to feel good about his or her purchase (you get what you pay for in life right? mentality) then I would buy THIS Maximus with included (inferior) pump and specifically buy from the most expensive seller you can find.

This is roughly $215 worth of my individual recommended items (already added $15 retail for spinner target and very crappy Piranha pellets) at a very profitable bundled $419.99 price tag.

Hurry last one here!

Screenshot_2020-12-22-14-30-132.1608683799.png
Screenshot_2020-12-22-14-31-072.1608683799.png