• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Airgun Technologies Hello and AGT Vixen .22

Hi guys, glad to join you, I recently added a VIXEN to my collection of Lightweight Carbines ( FX Dreamline lite, Webley Nemesis, Artemis PR900 gen 2 etc). I I have been told / advised that power adjustments / fine tuning for consistantly and tweeking regulator / hammer spring can be done two ways ? By transfer port restriction or by tuning / adjusting the Regulator / Hammer spring (using a chronograph) . I've seen the YT vids on regulator / hammer spring adjustment. BUT I can find NOTHING on the transfer port restrictor, Heck I dont even know where it is or how to inspect it. Can you guys please point me to the TP and tell me how to get to it.

Reactions: MACTEN
Hi guys, glad to join you, I recently added a VIXEN to my collection of Lightweight Carbines ( FX Dreamline lite, Webley Nemesis, Artemis PR900 gen 2 etc). I I have been told / advised that power adjustments / fine tuning for consistantly and tweeking regulator / hammer spring can be done two ways ? By transfer port restriction or by tuning / adjusting the Regulator / Hammer spring (using a chronograph) . I've seen the YT vids on regulator / hammer spring adjustment. BUT I can find NOTHING on the transfer port restrictor, Heck I dont even know where it is or how to inspect it. Can you guys please point me to the TP and tell me how to get to it.
they all are different on the TP but similar.. normally it's in front of the probe between it and the valve.. so some guns have a knob that adjusts transfer port, others don't have a adjustment other than people opening them up with a drill or Dremel tool.. so fo instance the avenger X has a high low transfer port knob on one side, so on low it's a smaller size hole the air passes through after leaving the valve before it gets to the barrel..
notos is not adjustable other than drilling or grinding larger.. both are underneath the barrel right about where the small area on the pellet probe is when the action is closed..
I've never seen one but some of the guns from let's just say Wes at airgun archery fun in Canada.. somewhere in the not adjustable transfer port they put in a restrictor to keep the pellets from going over Canada limit of 500 fps, doesn't matter what caliber.. otherwise it has to be registered as a firearm..
I'm sorry I don't have any pictures to show you.. I hope with what I told you, you hopefully will understand it a little more and possibly be able to ask others more about it too.
sounds like you are new here, welcome.. but it also sounds like you have a lot nicer guns in your collection 😊 that is a nice collection.. one I haven't heard of is the Artemis p900.. I'm going to try to look it up.. is it a rifle or pistol?
Mark

Reactions: Shooter22
Hi Mark thanks for the welcome and feedback. The PR900 gets sold globally under different brand names, it a budget Chinese air carbine that is easy to tune and repair, they sell for undeer £200, In the US I think its the Diana Stormrider. I'm riddled with arthritis so weight is a major issue for me, EG I have chopped the vixen back to basics and including bipod, moderator and red dot it only weighs just over 4 pound.

20240302_092208.jpg

Reactions: markhooper
Restricting transfer port, was how speed was managed in the old days, it is pretty much a disk with several different size holes you can turn and so to some degree restrict the hole size of the transfer port and so also how fast / much air pass thru it.

My 2012 FX Cyclone have such a measure, with 3 settings, where i assume high = 0 restriction, and MED and LOW are then smaller and smaller hole. to restrict airflow.

But today generally the same is achieved by regulating the pressure of the air you shoot with, this air is then held in a smaller volume in front of the valve you open by shooting, this smaller volume is called a Plenum.
Your hammer spring ( adjustable ) it is turn affect how long the valve is open and air rush in behind your pellet, needless the valve have to close before the pellet leave the barrel or you are just wasting air, and it risk destabilizing the pellet as it leave the barrel.

The hammer that hit the valve to open the pressure it is depending on the pressure on the other sice of the valve ( plenum pressure )
So the hammer work against the pressure in the plenum.
So you might see if you turn REG pressure up that your speed drop o_O, but that is then BECUZ the hammer do not have enough power to crack the valve open or just very little, this i believe are called valve lock.
So you might have to up your hammer spring force when you up the pressure you are shooting with.
Length of barrel have a say here, for instance in my 700 mm long barrel on the maverick i can drop way lower than the 90 BAR it came with from the factory, 70 BAR or so and i can still reach 960 FPS with a 13 grain .177 pellet or slug.

Hi Mark thanks for the welcome and feedback. The PR900 gets sold globally under different brand names, it a budget Chinese air carbine that is easy to tune and repair, they sell for undeer £200, In the US I think its the Diana Stormrider. I'm riddled with arthritis so weight is a major issue for me, EG I have chopped the vixen back to basics and including bipod, moderator and red dot it only weighs just over 4 pound.
you might like the umarex notos carbine?
Mark

Restricting transfer port, was how speed was managed in the old days, it is pretty much a disk with several different size holes you can turn and so to some degree restrict the hole size of the transfer port and so also how fast / much air pass thru it.

My 2012 FX Cyclone have such a measure, with 3 settings, where i assume high = 0 restriction, and MED and LOW are then smaller and smaller hole. to restrict airflow.

But today generally the same is achieved by regulating the pressure of the air you shoot with, this air is then held in a smaller volume in front of the valve you open by shooting, this smaller volume is called a Plenum.
Your hammer spring ( adjustable ) it is turn affect how long the valve is open and air rush in behind your pellet, needless the valve have to close before the pellet leave the barrel or you are just wasting air, and it risk destabilizing the pellet as it leave the barrel.

The hammer that hit the valve to open the pressure it is depending on the pressure on the other sice of the valve ( plenum pressure )
So the hammer work against the pressure in the plenum.
So you might see if you turn REG pressure up that your speed drop o_O, but that is then BECUZ the hammer do not have enough power to crack the valve open or just very little, this i believe are called valve lock.
So you might have to up your hammer spring force when you up the pressure you are shooting with.
Length of barrel have a say here, for instance in my 700 mm long barrel on the maverick i can drop way lower than the 90 BAR it came with from the factory, 70 BAR or so and i can still reach 960 FPS with a 13 grain .177 pellet or slug.
I don't have enough money to touch a FX 3 but I was fortunate to shoot a friend's.. it's got too many adjustments available for me, I wouldn't know where to start but I think I saw it had a like 12 settings transfer port.. honestly only thing I touched was loading pellets in the magazine and shooting.. myself I prefer a gun that is right for my use out of the box..
everything you said is totally correct.. I'm glad you got on the thread because you were more helpful than I could think of 😊
Mark

No the FX Airguns impact M3 do not have a transfer port thing, but it do have a range of adjustments knobe and wheels ( micro and macro ), it even have it so you can adjust the rebound spring that push on the other side of the valve to sort of hold it closed at least until pressure build up and that do it.

This is also why some rifles if totally empty and you start filling it, the air just pass thru it, that most often alleviated by cocking the rifle.

My Maverick have the hammer adjustment wheel in the back with 7 steps, but then inside a small hole you can adjust a fine adjustment screw, so in essence it have a Macro adjustment ( wheel with 7 steps ) and then the micro on the little screw accessed they the hole with a 1 / 1.5 mm hex.

I have just installed this instead

No the FX Airguns impact M3 do not have a transfer port thing, but it do have a range of adjustments knobe and wheels ( micro and macro ), it even have it so you can adjust the rebound spring that push on the other side of the valve to sort of hold it closed at least until pressure build up and that do it.

This is also why some rifles if totally empty and you start filling it, the air just pass thru it, that most often alleviated by cocking the rifle.

My Maverick have the hammer adjustment wheel in the back with 7 steps, but then inside a small hole you can adjust a fine adjustment screw, so in essence it have a Macro adjustment ( wheel with 7 steps ) and then the micro on the little screw accessed they the hole with a 1 / 1.5 mm hex.

I have just installed this instead
too much adjustment for me.. I just want them to shoot good. but it's great for those who do like making adjustments.. something for everyone 😊
Mark

I think for some weird reason they only do them in 6ft pound energy in the UK, I want / need every last bit of the 12 ft pound UK limit :)
6 ft lbs on the notos? I don't know how it is figured out but mine factory did 760 fps with jsb 18 grain round nose and 670 fps I think with the crossman premier hollow point 14 grain.. if that's more than they allow in UK id assume they adjust the hammer spring lighter or possibly lower the regulator.. I can send you pictures of the regulator and it adjustment if you want.. problem is that it's just a little turn but it's inside the air tube so you have to try it, adjust it and see if it is where you want.. it's very easy to unscrew the air tube but only when empty.. I suppose you would need a chronograph to test it to be sure you are legal..
the notos is very light as a carbine and the moderator makes it very quiet
Mark

It can for sure be a waste of time, but also some good in it.
So with a adjustable rifle, you might be able to shoot several different things good, with a old school rifle you have to find the ammo that work the best in it and then stick to that.
so say you are dialed in for your JSB pellets, but then you forget keeping track of those and run out, but dialing back 100 or so FPS and you can shoot some of the H&N pellets you have until the mailman bring JSB back in stock.
I would rather do it that way than say change to another rifle that will shoot the H&N pellets as is.

For instance my old .22 FX Cyclone, unrestricted it shoot the 18 gr JSB pellets just fine, and on the 2 lower restrictions of the transfer port the 15 gr JSB also fly well, they in turn do not do as good on the full power setting.
18 gr also sort of OK on the MED setting.
We dident really get to try many other things in those old rifles, lucked out getting the JSB pellets on day #1.

But yeah you can also waste your time, i have wasted many hours on my FX Maverick trying to shoot this and that and everything in between.
Sure found some good tunes for some stuff, but really that rifle should just eat 13 gr slugs, and then 3 grain heavier Beasts which it will also shoot just fine at the Slug setting.
Pellets similar in weight to the 13 gr slugs, well they are going too fast for what they are, lighter ones of course entirely too fast.

I think,,,, after 4 years i have finally learned, lay off those damn knobs and wheels, i like them being there but yeah should resist them as much as possible.

I did wish that my Maverick was also able to shoot 20 gr slugs with a twist of a few knobs, but i have shot like 5-700 of those and NO,,,, just NO
I for sure do not want to buy a whole new rifle just to shoot 20 gr slugs with that.

So until FX give us .177 shooters a proper heavy / slug liner, well i am stuck on the 13 grainers, which is also fine getting 400 in a tin / box VS 250 of 20 grain Slugs.

PS: i am working on getting another rifle to replace the Maverick shooting slugs, and it will probably also only do the lighter ones well.
When that day arrive the Maverick will be dialed back and become a pellet gun, CUZ the one i have for that job ( Vulcan 3 ) i will probably sell, and probably also selling my old Cyclone.
And then buy a #3 rifle for the money i get from those, and that will probably be a pellet gun,,,,,, well for starters at least,,,,, i am a slug whore alright.

It can for sure be a waste of time, but also some good in it.
So with a adjustable rifle, you might be able to shoot several different things good, with a old school rifle you have to find the ammo that work the best in it and then stick to that.
so say you are dialed in for your JSB pellets, but then you forget keeping track of those and run out, but dialing back 100 or so FPS and you can shoot some of the H&N pellets you have until the mailman bring JSB back in stock.
I would rather do it that way than say change to another rifle that will shoot the H&N pellets as is.

For instance my old .22 FX Cyclone, unrestricted it shoot the 18 gr JSB pellets just fine, and on the 2 lower restrictions of the transfer port the 15 gr JSB also fly well, they in turn do not do as good on the full power setting.
18 gr also sort of OK on the MED setting.
We dident really get to try many other things in those old rifles, lucked out getting the JSB pellets on day #1.

But yeah you can also waste your time, i have wasted many hours on my FX Maverick trying to shoot this and that and everything in between.
Sure found some good tunes for some stuff, but really that rifle should just eat 13 gr slugs, and then 3 grain heavier Beasts which it will also shoot just fine at the Slug setting.
Pellets similar in weight to the 13 gr slugs, well they are going too fast for what they are, lighter ones of course entirely too fast.

I think,,,, after 4 years i have finally learned, lay off those damn knobs and wheels, i like them being there but yeah should resist them as much as possible.

I did wish that my Maverick was also able to shoot 20 gr slugs with a twist of a few knobs, but i have shot like 5-700 of those and NO,,,, just NO
I for sure do not want to buy a whole new rifle just to shoot 20 gr slugs with that.

So until FX give us .177 shooters a proper heavy / slug liner, well i am stuck on the 13 grainers, which is also fine getting 400 in a tin / box VS 250 of 20 grain Slugs.

PS: i am working on getting another rifle to replace the Maverick shooting slugs, and it will probably also only do the lighter ones well.
When that day arrive the Maverick will be dialed back and become a pellet gun, CUZ the one i have for that job ( Vulcan 3 ) i will probably sell, and probably also selling my old Cyclone.
And then buy a #3 rifle for the money i get from those, and that will probably be a pellet gun,,,,,, well for starters at least,,,,, i am a slug whore alright.
the new FX Drs pro looks really good to me but I would like to see it in the next grade down as far as the stock.. I guess I just don't care for the aluminum stock and prefer the wood stock..
but likely more than not it won't matter because I am going to guess that when we see the prices, it will be out of my price range.. I'll probably never be able to afford a FX
mark

Well the DRS classic seem to be just about the cheapest FX air rifle ever. adding the ALU chassis though turn it into the most expensive FX rifle ever made.
That to me make the Classic just about the best FX deal ever as it is pretty much the same as the ultra expensive one.
Making it just about 1/2 price of the PRO ( 700 mm long DRS Classic rifle + large plenum, Picatinny rail adapter and perhaps a gauge )

Personally ( if possible ) i would plug the fill gauge location and move it to the plenum to show regulated pressure, so i would save the cost of a gauge.

Well the DRS classic seem to be just about the cheapest FX air rifle ever. adding the ALU chassis though turn it into the most expensive FX rifle ever made.
That to me make the Classic just about the best FX deal ever as it is pretty much the same as the ultra expensive one.
Making it just about 1/2 price of the PRO ( 700 mm long DRS Classic rifle + large plenum, Picatinny rail adapter and perhaps a gauge )

Personally ( if possible ) i would plug the fill gauge location and move it to the plenum to show regulated pressure, so i would save the cost of a gauge.
My friend friend went to the british shooting show with the intention of buying the DRS, When he finally got to handle and inspect it he was sadly unimpressed and cancelled his order. And rumour has it the DRS used in the FX launch vid was just a dummy knock up and not a production gun.