• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Helix parallax is geared low (a great thing)

Installed an Element Helix on a new rifle and first thing to notice from a ranging point of view is the generous rotation of almost 260 degrees from 10 to 55 yards. With this much travel a regular round parallax wheel may give the required range marker separation without needing a comma wheel option. Anyone using this scope in hft and thoughts/experiences on the ranging capability?

Sure thing. I got 2 scopes from this family. One is SFP with simple MRAD reticle and the second is FFP with dirty MOA reticle. Both shown below
Screenshot_20220101-113808_Drive.1641058934.jpg
Screenshot_20211229-180545_Drive.1641058934.jpg

Soloshot, I gather you haven’t used it in a FT match yet, but have you experimented ranging with it in your backyard, etc. to see how well it does at 16x?

Aimright, I shoot FT with Hawke Sidewinders on 3 different rifles, no complains. Was squadded with Dave Cole in the ROT event a few months ago. Hiya Dave!

The Element Helix is looking good but have not used it outdoors yet. Will only put it on a match gun after some good range sessions. So far it is looking good, therefore asking for others experiences with it. The plan is to use one on a springer and the other on my Bobcat for BR and EFT.

I absolutely LOVE the helix!!! Tinkering with the idea of doing some HFT in the future and immediately put my helix on. As far as I can tell from the feature set the Helix is made for HFT! AND dead nuts accurate turrets make it an insane value, I’ve spent a ton of time validating this. 

also at 24x the depth of view is pretty narrow so ranging seems pretty descent, need to play with both eye piece and parallax with a laser range finder more though. But just about everyone add a parallax wheel with label which would render matching factory makers pointless anyways. 

Soloshot, I gather you haven’t used it in a FT match yet, but have you experimented ranging with it in your backyard, etc. to see how well it does at 16x?

just tried this and holy cow the ranging is pretty damn spot on with factory parallax wheel on 16. Tried 15 yards to 70 yards looking at different tree trunks around the house. 75-100 yards objects are ranges a bit low according to factory marker as far as I can tell. 

qball, thanks for the update. I am not sure if reading yardage off the small parallax knob will truly be precise enough to determine its field target suitability, but it sure sounds like it may have promise. The bane of many hunter field target shooters is getting accurate ranges in the 40-55 yard distances with their scopes set to 16 power. Curious on one thing, on your parallax knob, what is the approximate degrees of rotation from start to stop and also from 10 to 55 yards?

qball, thanks for the update. I am not sure if reading yardage off the small parallax knob will truly be precise enough to determine its field target suitability, but it sure sounds like it may have promise. The bane of many hunter field target shooters is getting accurate ranges in the 40-55 yard distances with their scopes set to 16 power. Curious on one thing, on your parallax knob, what is the approximate degrees of rotation from start to stop and also from 10 to 55 yards?

so I marked 10 yards and turned the knob to 55 yard or 50 meters on my scope and there is whopping full 3/4 of a turn! That’s solid 270 degrees!!!

618943ED-EF5C-4785-99FF-E1E726DC48E2.1642355053.jpeg

also took a picture of the parallax wheel from another angle there is 1/4 of turn or 90 degrees of movement between 20-50 meters or 22 yards to 55 yards. 

0C704B9B-A9CD-47C0-8BC1-C374EA7C63B2.1642355054.jpeg

No sure if the 180 degrees of movement between 10-20 meter is all that useful though. The 90 degrees between 20-50 seems normal to me. 

Thanks qball, those measurements are making that scope sound more and more promising for 16x ranging in field target. You now need to take one for the team and start shooting FT to give us further evaluation on this scope!

Hahahaha! Yes sir! I’ll definitely take one for the team and try it out except the local FT events won’t start till March.