Helium balloon tank question

I don't know what the PSI is but probably less than 150 psi because the tanks are made of pretty thin steel.
Yeah one time I testing my .401 airgun on it with balloon tank I held a air hose on it and the other end connected to the gun the power difference was insane but that doesn't work too well because it leaks on it on the air hose cause I have to hold it up on the fitting the balloon tanks are cga-580 I wonder if I could convert my cheap din 300 fill station to the cga-580 nut and then it would definitely work.

I don't know what the PSI is but probably less than 150 psi because the tanks are made of pretty thin steel.
I wonder if I could put the cga-580 nut and nipple into that fill station remove that fitting and put in the cga-580 nut and nipple.

Screenshot_20240406-222619.png

Screenshot_20240406-222717.png

Does anybody know how much psi is in the helium balloon tanks? And is there fill stations that will connect to it so I could fill my big bores with helium..
I don’t know what kind of apparatus you would use to fill with helium, but one thing I do know is that helium molecules are very small and that any tiny leaks you might have with air will be massive leaks with helium and you’ll likely have new leaks that didn’t exist with air.

Reactions: anonymous_.457
I don’t know what kind of apparatus you would use to fill with helium, but one thing I do know is that helium molecules are very small and that any tiny leaks you might have with air will be massive leaks with helium and you’ll likely have new leaks that didn’t exist with air.
Yeah my XP badger .401 won't leak on helium it was built to work on helium too my pbba .457 I'm not so sure but Im willing to bet it won't leak..

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to use Helium? Why not Nitrogen?

All my best!

Kerry
Because I only hunt and shoot big bores if I'm gonna use nitrogen I'd be better off money wise to use my 4500psi compressor nitrogen makes the same power as compressed air. I wanna use helium because it makes a ton of more power I got a .457 and .401 airguns.

Because I only hunt and shoot big bores if I'm gonna use nitrogen I'd be better off money wise to use my 4500psi compressor nitrogen makes the same power as compressed air. I wanna use helium because it makes a ton of more power I got a .457 and .401 airguns.
Well, there is proof that I learn something new every day!

Are you going to feed it into a compressor? I have no idea how much PSI Helium tanks have, but I doubt it is enough to fill PCPs.

Then again, I know next to nothing about it. (chuckle)

The most I know about Helium is that if I breath it, it makes my voice sound very high/squeaky. (silly grin)

Good luck!

All my best!

Kerry

Are you going to feed it into a compressor? I have no idea how much PSI Helium tanks have, but I doubt it is enough to fill PCPs.

The most I know about Helium is that if I breath it, it makes my voice sound very high/squeaky. (silly grin)

Good luck!

All my best!

Kerry
Didn't really plan on feeding it through my 4500psin oil and water cooled Yong Heng compressor I was gonna try to hook up a fill station to a helium balloon tank.

Good luck!

All my best!

Kerry
Compressed helium expands much faster than air or nitrogen. My understanding of it is that it’s the same property that makes it so prone to leaks. The molecules are tiny and lightweight and because of that they move more quickly.

I’m sure that someone with a better knowledge of chemistry could give a better explanation of it though.

Reactions: BackStop
Compressed helium expands much faster than air or nitrogen. My understanding of it is that it’s the same property that makes it so prone to leaks. The molecules are tiny and lightweight and because of that they move more quickly.

I’m sure that someone with a better knowledge of chemistry could give a better explanation of it though.
I did a quick search to understand Helium as a propellent for PCPs and found this:

https://hardairmagazine.com/ham-columns/how-to-obtain-the-maximum-power-from-a-pcp-air-rifle/

Which might explain it to some degree for those, like me, who were interested enough to question it. (smile)

All my best!

Kerry

Didn't really plan on feeding it through my 4500psin oil and water cooled Yong Heng compressor I was gonna try to hook up a fill station to a helium balloon tank.
For ignorant folks like myself, could you please define what you mean by "fill station"?

How are you going to get the necessary psi without a compressor? You definitely have me confused.

Thanks!

All my best!

Kerry

You can feed the input of your compressor from a helium tank instead of air. It He is an inert gas it should be compatible with the materials used on the compressor. Since He molecule is smaller than O or N, it may leak more.

Would be much more expensive since Helium cost $$$. I'll stick to lower performance air.

This one says 260 psi.

You can feed the input of your compressor from a helium tank instead of air. It He is an inert gas it should be compatible with the materials used on the compressor. Since He molecule is smaller than O or N, it may leak more.

Would be much more expensive since Helium cost $$$. I'll stick to lower performance air.

This one says 260 psi.
Could I feed it through my Yong Heng compressor???

Nothing personal about this and you may have already stated why you want to use Helium to obtain higher fpe, but just for me, if for no other reason...

Why are you hell bent on using Helium to make higher fpe in an airgun?

I am simply curious since a firearm would do it more cheaply and simply.

Please at least let those of us who have tried to help you know why???

If you have already stated your purpose, please state it again... for me at least! (shrug/smile)

Thanks!

All my best!

Kerry

So your saying add a little barb hose to the input of the compressor and run a clear tube hose from the balloon tank to compressor??
Yes but be careful not to pressurize the input gas. It best to use a low pressure regulator set to something like .2 to .5 psi. In lieu of that you can try to limiting the flow with valve and monitoring the pressure on a gauge to insure that it isn't under pressure, unless you want to damage your YH. You might try to make a DIY blowoff valve set to .5 psi but it will waste expensive He gas. The 2nd options really isn't too safe because it assumes the YH is always running at the same RPM. Stop it for a second and the next cycle will be high press He, damaging the YH and maybe causing it to stall the motor, possibly burning it out at the least and grenade the cylinders at the most.

Do some math to estimate how many tanks of He you will need to fill a gun and are you OK with the cost.

Last edited:
Nothing personal about this and you may have already stated why you want to use Helium to obtain higher fpe, but just for me, if for no other reason...

Why are you hell bent on using Helium to make higher fpe in an airgun?

I am simply curious since a firearm would do it more cheaply and simply.

Please at least let those of us who have tried to help you know why???

If you have already stated your purpose, please state it again... for me at least! (shrug/smile)

Thanks!

All my best!

Kerry
All I shoot is big bore airguns helium makes them way more powerful and I rather shoot and hunt with them a powder burner there way more fun...