"Helicopter'ing" Tails on woodchucks

I'm guessing we've all seen our British compatriots wacking rats and grey squirrles with sub-12 ft/lb rifles. They're extremely good at it too. They'll often refer to the scaly tail ( you've got to love some of the 'proper english' terms they use! :) ) as being dead with a clean shot to the brain bucket. This inevitably results in the subjected "helicopter" spinning of the tail.

Back on our side of the pond: Woodchucks at 80-120 yards hitting them with 35-40 ft/lbs. I've witnessed similar helicopter-like spinning of the tail after drilling it - the last 2 or 3 that I've gotten. I got one earlier this evening at 95 yards. I spotted him the *one* time he stood up - that turned out to be his mistake. I ranged him and and came up with an educated "guess*" of 95'ish yards. Strelok told me how many clicks up and then I proceed to just watch and track him for a bit - waiting for it to stand up again. He never did - he would periodically pop his head up to about the top of the grass - 8-9" deep now - which gave me a pretty good look at him but he would quickly drop back down and go back to grazing. That's about all I could see though when he did this - just his head and maybe the upper portion of his neck. I kept watching him for another minute or so and could see a pattern - he'd pop up and stay near the top of the grass for . . . maybe 3 or 4 seconds. I knew my window of opportunity - he popped up, gave me the broadside look I wanted - pulled the trigger.

He dropped out of sight - I stayed on him, or at least the spot where he was, and maybe 2-3 seconds later I could see the grass moving. { sigh - did I miss? } Then it looked like the grass was spazzing and sure enough - pop! Up goes his tail - helicoptering. A second or so later I see 2 out of 4 feet now showing near the top of the grass - got him! I'd say maybe . . . 10 seconds later - lights out. No more movement out there.

The property owner wants them gone. I'm trying to wack 'em ethically and knock 'em right down and out. Some have in fact just dropped. Pull the trigger - down. Instantly. Others do this brain bucket helicopter tail dance. Do you guys think these are good clean kills - ie; hopefully the thing just twitching like the rats when its brain gets smashed?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
*guess at the ranging from above: I've another thread in here re: better rangefinders than the one I have - yeah - hit the chuck with it once - tells me 92 yards. I don't trust the thing based on experience with it - hit the chuck with it a second time - 95 yards. Hit it again a third time - 93 yards. The chuck hasn't moved. I figure I'll just go with 95 and aim smack at the middle of its head if it presents - if 95 is hot / high - hopefully I'll still connect (top of its head) - or it'll get a haircut. 

I'm guessing we've all seen our British compatriots wacking rats and grey squirrles with sub-12 ft/lb rifles. They're extremely good at it too. They'll often refer to the scaly tail ( you've got to love some of the 'proper english' terms they use! :) ) as being dead with a clean shot to the brain bucket. This inevitably results in the subjected "helicopter" spinning of the tail.

Back on our side of the pond: Woodchucks at 80-120 yards hitting them with 35-40 ft/lbs. I've witnessed similar helicopter-like spinning of the tail after drilling it - the last 2 or 3 that I've gotten. I got one earlier this evening at 95 yards. I spotted him the *one* time he stood up - that turned out to be his mistake. I ranged him and and came up with an educated "guess*" of 95'ish yards. Strelok told me how many clicks up and then I proceed to just watch and track him for a bit - waiting for it to stand up again. He never did - he would periodically pop his head up to about the top of the grass - 8-9" deep now - which gave me a pretty good look at him but he would quickly drop back down and go back to grazing. That's about all I could see though when he did this - just his head and maybe the upper portion of his neck. I kept watching him for another minute or so and could see a pattern - he'd pop up and stay near the top of the grass for . . . maybe 3 or 4 seconds. I knew my window of opportunity - he popped up, gave me the broadside look I wanted - pulled the trigger.

He dropped out of sight - I stayed on him, or at least the spot where he was, and maybe 2-3 seconds later I could see the grass moving. { sigh - did I miss? } Then it looked like the grass was spazzing and sure enough - pop! Up goes his tail - helicoptering. A second or so later I see 2 out of 4 feet now showing near the top of the grass - got him! I'd say maybe . . . 10 seconds later - lights out. No more movement out there.

The property owner wants them gone. I'm trying to wack 'em ethically and knock 'em right down and out. Some have in fact just dropped. Pull the trigger - down. Instantly. Others do this brain bucket helicopter tail dance. Do you guys think these are good clean kills - ie; hopefully the thing just twitching like the rats when its brain gets smashed?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
*guess at the ranging from above: I've another thread in here re: better rangefinders than the one I have - yeah - hit the chuck with it once - tells me 92 yards. I don't trust the thing based on experience with it - hit the chuck with it a second time - 95 yards. Hit it again a third time - 93 yards. The chuck hasn't moved. I figure I'll just go with 95 and aim smack at the middle of its head if it presents - if 95 is hot / high - hopefully I'll still connect (top of its head) - or it'll get a haircut.

GO!!! RUN!!! GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!

1594117396_5327216485f044d1458ca61.04945373.png