• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Heli board questions

Heliboard does not make more power, afik. It is just a VERY versatile and convenient setup that does not need a programmer.
As far as 22 and 25 power, the 25 should be able to make more. I don't tune for max power so I don't know the limits of each but in my experience, the 25 will push a 33.4 faster than the 22 will push a 33.4.
Bob

Heliboard does not make more power, afik. It is just a VERY versatile and convenient setup that does not need a programmer.
As far as 22 and 25 power, the 25 should be able to make more. I don't tune for max power so I don't know the limits of each but in my experience, the 25 will push a 33.4 faster than the 22 will push a 33.4.
Bob
It doesn’t give you extra power no but it allows you to tune for more power. I would think with the larger barrel and less air restriction you could potentially get more power.

I'm in agreement with the larger caliber and more power but the GCU2 and Heliboard are very little different for power. Either can likely exceed the valve/hammer capabilities . ...then you're just wasting air and potentially damaging something. It seems as though you believe the GCU2 is limited in some way ... it's quite potent... the hottest I've run mine is 100 ft lb with 49 gn, 30 cal slugs. This doesn't apply to your scenario but just shows it's quite capable.
Bob

I'm in agreement with the larger caliber and more power but the GCU2 and Heliboard are very little different for power. Either can likely exceed the valve/hammer capabilities . ...then you're just wasting air and potentially damaging something. It seems as though you believe the GCU2 is limited in some way ... it's quite potent... the hottest I've run mine is 100 ft lb with 49 gn, 30 cal slugs. This doesn't apply to your scenario but just shows it's quite capable.
Bob
So what’s different in the .30 compared to the other guns? I’m fairly new to all the electronic guns. Do they just have larger transfer ports and more bigger valving? What is the limiting factor for power.

In the Red Wolf, the valve is the limiter. There is only so much port space available in the Harper style valve. All 3 of ours are the 25 cal port size which is as large as it can go. The 30 barrel just offers better flow so VELOCITY isn't higher, but ENERGY is because of the heavier projectiles.
Personally, I don't pursue firearm performance in an airgun and absolutely love the efficiency that the Red Wolf valving offers and since I shoot mainly 177, 22, and 25 in it... more than enough energy is available.
Bob

Reactions: Zgregory
I have 30 cal RW and I am not sure that the valve is larger then the 25 cal, I have replaced the board to a Helliboard and I am getting 84 ft-lbs vs 80 ft-lbs on the GCU2, the voltage is set at 91 on the Helliboard I have turned it down to 86.5 to get my best group at 100 yards

79A27DA2-A77E-4125-9729-D6D8352036C2.jpeg

Reactions: Zgregory
In the Red Wolf, the valve is the limiter. There is only so much port space available in the Harper style valve. All 3 of ours are the 25 cal port size which is as large as it can go. The 30 barrel just offers better flow so VELOCITY isn't higher, but ENERGY is because of the heavier projectiles.
Personally, I don't pursue firearm performance in an airgun and absolutely love the efficiency that the Red Wolf valving offers and since I shoot mainly 177, 22, and 25 in it... more than enough energy is available.
Bob
I 100% agree with the power chasing. it was more puzzling to me to see the larger barrel and better flow characteristics of .25 not putting out any extra power. But frankly I will be selling my RAW hm1000x for a redwolf .22hp

The .25 is capable of about 75FPE without stressing it too hard. Mine shot the .25 King Heavy on Medium at 960 fps, and close to 1000 fps on High. Both are too fast for pellets so I tuned it down to 935 to 940 fps for EBR and it was flawless. Unless you just have to have a .22, the .25 King Heavy are better than the .22 RD Monsters in just about every way.

Reactions: Smitty911
The .25 is capable of about 75FPE without stressing it too hard. Mine shot the .25 King Heavy on Medium at 960 fps, and close to 1000 fps on High. Both are too fast for pellets so I tuned it down to 935 to 940 fps for EBR and it was flawless. Unless you just have to have a .22, the .25 King Heavy are better than the .22 RD Monsters in just about every way.
And there is the answer I was after lol. Do you reside in AZ? Would love to pick your brain about the .25 redwolf.

Bob
Bob, I want to be able to program my RW but not sure if the programer or a heli board are simple or complex

The Heliboard has 12 power levels that are fully independent and are programmed already in increasing power increments from Jack.... the manufacturer. The curves are pretty good already but you CAN work on them to flatten them a little more IF desired. Diminishing returns though. Changes can be made at any time with the trigger. I have them on our three rifles though it's really more about convenience than anything else. They also DO NOT time out so you can shoot without limitations on the timeout but it will KILL batteries if you don't shut it off. Ours are several years old and I understand the new ones have an Autotune feature that I've not had experience with. We also have experienced time limitations when fast firing from a magazine because it shuts the board off every time you open the bolt where the GCU2 does not but I have the potential fix in hand, just haven't tested yet. You can make velocity changes by changing the power level OR the voltage on the current power level. The voltage changes raise or lower the whole curve of that power level where dwell changes only affect the particular pressure point you choose to modify. There are 20 fixed pressure points.
The GCU2 has been updated and AoA can update the software in older ones. As far as I know, it does not have the time limitations and has more menu items, including settings for timeout.It does require minor disassembly and the programmer to make changes and only has 3 power levels. I highly encourage you to read through Spray1Mark's very complete tuning thread https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...out-properly-programming-the-redwolf.1047165/ and @Franklink had a good one on the Red Wolf Standard with GCU2 .
I have 4 calibers and a LOT of different ammo so the convenience of the Heliboard is important for me... not so much for the wife but she didn't like the timeouts.
You have to be the one to decide the pro's and con's for your own case.
Also, the Heliboard costs less than the programmer , so there's that .
Bob

Last edited:
The Heliboard has 12 power levels that are fully independent and are programmed already in increasing power increments from Jack.... the manufacturer. The curves are pretty good already but you CAN work on them to flatten them a little more IF desired. Diminishing returns though. Changes can be made at any time with the trigger. I have them on our three rifles though it's really more about convenience than anything else. They also DO NOT time out so you can shoot without limitations on the timeout but it will KILL batteries if you don't shut it off. Ours are several years old and I understand the new ones have an Autotune feature that I've not had experience with. We also have experienced time limitations when fast firing from a magazine because it shuts the board off every time you open the bolt where the GCU2 does not but I have the potential fix in hand, just haven't tested yet. You can make velocity changes by changing the power level OR the voltage on the current power level. The voltage changes raise or lower the whole curve of that power level where dwell changes only affect the particular pressure point you choose to modify. There are 20 fixed pressure levels.
The GCU2 has been updated and AoA can update the software in older ones. As far as I know, it does not have the time limitations and has more menu items, including settins for timeout.It does require minor disassembly and the programmer to make changes and only has 3 power levels. I highly encourage you to read through Spray1Mark's very complete tuning thread https://www.airgunnation.com/thread...out-properly-programming-the-redwolf.1047165/ and @Franklink had a good one on the Red Wolf Standard with GCU2 .
I have 4 calibers and a LOT of different ammo so the convenience of the Heliboard is important for me... not so much for the wife but she didn't like the timeouts.
You have to be the one to decide the pro's and con's for your own case.
Also, the Heliboard costs less than the programmer , so there's that .
Bob
Perfect information thank you

@Arzrover, is your potential fix for the heliboard timing out on each cycle of the cocking arm, the same as Lewis and I’s?

Our ‘fix’, which Lewis shared with me as he discovered it while we were engaged in a phone conversation, was to remove the cocking arm pivot screw, then retract lever/probe from the receiver, and lastly remove the large ball bearing (#37, 5mm diameter) that acts as a detent for the cocking lever in the closed position. Did you do this Bob?
With magazine shooting, and a fast trigger you could outrun the batteries’ ability to recharge the large capacitors, effectively putting the heliboard into programming mode. #37 Bearing removed, now the board does not shut off with each cycle of the lever, capacitor recovery is almost instantaneous, and if you were able to outrun the capacitor recovery, you would only be met with a dead trigger.
The trade off by removing the 5mm ball bearing is that you can dry fire the gun, with the cocking lever in any position. No worries here as my finger is off of the trigger whenever the action is open.