heavy wad cutter pellets needed

I do some pesting with a couple of detuned PCPs running in the ballpark of 500 - 600 fps. For this purpose, a wadcutter simply cannot be beat. As long as you don’t have to penetrate tough bone, a wadcutter is incredibly effective.

At these velocities, a hollowpoint does not expand. A wadcutter is already expanded :)

I presume the 9gr wadcutter you referred to is the RWS Supermag. If so, I just want to say it is the most accurate wadcutter I have found, and the only one that maintains sufficient accuracy for small game and pests out past 30 yards reliably. For example, last weekend I took a 12fpe rifle out on a brief gray squirrel hunt and promptly went 3 for 3 at distances of 35, 22, and 38 yards. That sort of performance with wadcutters is something I’m still trying to get accustomed to. I mean I’ve spent a good bit of time punching paper with them to build confidence but I was still shaking my head in disbelief as I was walking back out of the woods.

With pigeons and the like, I think the usual problem is the way that large mass of flight muscles presents a deceiving invitation for a center mass shot. Put the pellet a bit higher, just under the spine and it will pierce the vital organs and drop them straight down.

+1 on the Super Mag. They are my go to pellet for testing a new .177 at 25 yds and carry nicely to about 40. CO2 guns - both rifle and pistol - absolutely love them. They seem almost magic at treetop distance. Have headshot squirrels with a .22 RF, only to have them drop to the ground and run for a hole. But I have never lost one that was headshot with a 9gr. Super Mag.

True story: About an hour ago I was talking to a friend who went squirrel hunting today. His partner was using a 3 1/2", 12 ga load. He peppered a squirrel with three shots and it didn't drop. My friend was using a stock Disco with 2 1/2X short scope and .177 Supermags. His squirrel dropped with a single shot.

Give them a chance in the woods. You may be surprised.

I got my pellets today. I made sure I was sighted in with the Ultrashock. from JSB. They group good, I only shot out to 20 yards with the pistol. No Pigeons to try them out on. but I shot my plate round and they smack the plates hard enough to move a 3/8" x 8" hanging plate. I will let you know when I shoot a bird. I also got the HN crow pellets but will only try one at a time. unless I sight the HN pellets in on my 1701

For the most part the vitals are lower than you would think. I have gutted many dove, similar to pigeons, and the lungs are right along the backbone about mid back (the best shot is from the back as there is less 'meat' there). The heart is just in front of the lungs, protected by the rib cage, but again lower in the body than you would suspect.

Here's a link that has a 3D look at the anatomy....https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/pigeon-anatomy-skeleton-3d-lwo/737535

There are about 18 slides to review, but should aid in your shot placement. I rarely shoot at the large breast, usually just below where it is thinner and closer to the heart and lungs.

mike