Heathcliff and Gertrude

This might be dating me a little bit, but many of you out there still remember the great comedian, Red Skelton. This is inspired by him. If there isn't another bird a despise almost as much as the greasy invasive starling, it's the pompous ruckus grackle. The grackle is back in bigger numbers then before, maybe due to the mild winter in this part of the country. Woke up to a gray cloudy misting dismal day and resigned myself to a shootless day. But alas, the dreaded grackke was settin in the top of a tree a mere 50 yds away as if chiding me in his squawking voice. I tried to resist the temptation, but my trigger finger started to twitch! I grabbed my trusty 22 Mav Sniper and beaded in the grackle, Gertrude, sitting on the tippity top of the tree. Gertrude sit there squawking as grackles do presenting a side profile to me. I lined up the crosshairs on her wing area and pulled the trigger. Anchored her with nary a flap. As soon as I did this, her mate, Heathcliff landed in the same spot looking for Gertrude and like the compassionate gentleman that I am, I helped Heathcliff find her by sending him down to her! I used 27.5 gr .2175 NSA HP slugs fired at about 960FPS. The photos show on both the barely discernable entry and the blown out exits. No more robbing the bird feeders and chasing the protected birds away! Both Gertrude and Heathcliff together forever! And for the trolls---

Ohio Revised Code Section 1533.07 Protection afforded nongame birds. Effective: April 6, 2007 Legislation: House Bill 443 - 126th General Assembly

European starlings, English sparrows, and common pigeons, other than homing pigeons, may be killed at any time and their nests or eggs may be destroyed at any time. Blackbirds may be killed at any time when doing damage to grain or other property or when they become a nuisance.

Ohio Revised Code Section 957.16 Blackbird population control programs. Effective: March 18, 1969 Legislation: House Bill 1 - 108th General Assembly

(A) As used in this section "blackbird" means the red-winged blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus), the common grackle (Quiscalus quiscula), the brown-headed cowbird (Molothrus ater), and the starling (Sturnus vulgaris).

20230317_085710.jpg

20230317_085725.jpg