• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hearing safe and somewhat accurate PCP

I'm completely new to the game and am looking to get into PCP. Just sold off my Diana RWS 32 springer that I just can't shoot accurately. Was tired of shooting something you had to look at correctly.

But I was wondering what good options there are for shooting at 50 yards that does not require hearing protection and likely won't alert people further than say 500 feet away?

After watching tons of videos it seems like the Venturi Avenger in .22 may be an option? But the bull pups out there look cool too like the Kral Punch Breaker. But thanks to not seeing them in person I can't tell how loud they are. I know that my old Springer rifle required some ear plugs due to no moderation.

'most' pcps will do 50 at least fair .. my last one was a diana stormrider in 177 and it does 50 nicely even with a cheap scope and isnt loud at all ... that said, ive found also that 'most' budget and midrange guns can use alittle work to get them smoother and even alittle better .. so get one that suits your use, smaller lighter for carry and yard pesting etc .. and heavy big for bench target more or less ...

A buddy of mine bought a puncher breaker and I believe put baffles out of a marauder in it. I'm sure there is some info on here somewhere about it.

Yeah from the videos I've seen it looks like it wouldn't be that hard to sneak baffles into the shroud. I wonder if a person can buy them since this is very different from the 22lr rimfire world I'm from where everything is regulated regarding suppression? Else I just see some DonnyFL company selling suppressors and an adaptor that would make the punch breaker longer than necessary.

Is the noise concern about protecting the shooters hearing or is it not disturbing the neighbors? Also. Do you have a good solid backstop ? I ask these questions because a large air rifle like the Puncher Breaker is a powerful gun and pellets will go through a fence. I believe your average PCPs are quite enough that the shooter does not need to wear hearing protection. But they may be just loud enough to bother next door neighbors. (If your neighbors are jerks ) . Moderators can be a little pricey but they work amazingly well. So don’t be fast to rule them out. I have a Benjamin Marauder pistol with a Neil Clague moderator. And it is amazingly quiet. 
828EFDCE-8811-4AAC-BFA1-6339A25F3B5C.1629552634.jpeg

I agree with Dairyboy;

The Marauder rifle in the classifieds fits your requirements and is at a very good price.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/wts-benjamin-marauder-gen-2-0-25-with-scope-and-benjamin-pump/?referrer=1

The Benjamin Fortitude would be another good starter gun.

https://www.crosman.com/product/benjamin-fortitude-gen-2-22

Looks like someone got to the Woodswalker before you though.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/wts-wood-walker-22-cal-pcp/?referrer=1

The Marauder pistol, like the Woodswalker really a carbine matches your description as well.

https://www.crosman.com/product/benjamin-marauder-pcp-air-pistol-22-cal

Both of these would fit our needs but as stated you need to fill them and a hand pump will get old quick.

A Yong Heng compressor for around $300 would do an excellent for you. Best compressor around for under $1,300

I have a 10 year old Marauder in .22. Quiet and accurate at 50 yards. 75 yards is starting to stretch accuracy but at 50, should not have any problems. When you look at the barrel, it looks massive, but it's almost all baffles and air. Good, adjustable trigger, solid platform with lots of after market support.

Best part of a Marauder is that the Transfer Port, Hammer Spring, and Hammer Spring Pre-Load are all adjustable. very few guns allow that.

Lastly, while it's not regulated, if you want to add one, they are available. From the factory, it should get about 30 shots per fill. When I added the regulator, I tuned for economy. You can tune for economy or power. I now get about 50 shots per fill at 840 fps shooting the JSB 18.3 grain.

My Marauder in .22 is not at all loud and this is without a moderator attached. Adding a DonnyFL Sumo moderator to the rifle would reduce the noise output even more. I suspect that the larger the caliber the louder a rifle is going to be as more air is used to propel the pellet. For target shooting a .177 would work as well as a .22 caliber pellet. I understand that the heavier the pellet the less it will be affected by a strong cross wind but it makes little sense to shoot in such circumstance at a target.