• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hearing protection, what do you use?

It’s depend, all good ear muffs are about 30db reduction and good ear plugs are about 30db reduction.

If I go to the public range then I wear my Apple airpod Pro2 with 30db reduction plus noise canceling plus ear muff on top of them. Only down side it’s hard to hear the cold range announcement but I just look up once a while.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Healthservices
I do the same as Allen's post: wear one earplug on the gun side when shooting louder airguns.
For firearms it is two earplugs, foam motorcycle ones like MikeVV said.
But here is a tip I got from a pair of sales reps from a PPE company at a vendor faire at work: they asked if I knew how to properly insert the foam earplugs, then looked at each other, started giggling and sang their version of that song, "You gotta lick it, before you stick it. You gotta get it soft and wet before you stick it in your head".
And damned if it doesn't work!
Mike

• Haha
Reactions: Healthservices
Everyone uses protection at a range. Almost no one uses hunting or casual plinking with powder guns. Big mistake, me and all old hunters I know are deaf because of it. You can suffer damage from one event. Don't do what I have, being deaf sux. Have not heard the russel of duck wings flying over, a distant coyote or elk bugle in a long time. Loss of hearing and its effects on your quality of life is impossible to comprehend until its to late. Hope you never learn that.

Everyone uses protection at a range. Almost no one uses hunting or casual plinking with powder guns. Big mistake, me and all old hunters I know are deaf because of it. You can suffer damage from one event. Don't do what I have, being deaf sux. Have not heard the russel of duck wings flying over, a distant coyote or elk bugle in a long time. Loss of hearing and its effects on your quality of life is impossible to comprehend until its to late. Hope you never learn that.
years of wing shooting a 12ga over under has made me protect the hearing i have left