• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Head size?

Are there any other manufactures, other than H&N, that make different head sizes? I'm having accuracy problems with a gen2 22 caliber marauder. I've tried several brands of ammo out of the rifle and the best I can get is sub one inch groups at 25 yards. I removed the baffles and pulled several cleaning patches through the barrel, but it didn't seem to help any. The best accuracy is with H&N barracuda extremes, but like I said I'm just not getting acceptable accuracy. I have a couple 25 caliber PCP's that will shoot pellet on pellet at 25 yards and I was hoping to get that from this rifle. I have not tuned this rifle yet as I don't currently have a chrono. Any ideas?

My first PCP is a Marauder, well my Dad has it now, he is 82 and is loving it. Problem he lives 1.5 hours from me and I have to fill the air tank I gave him about every 3 weeks!! 😁🤣. Anyway it’s a .22 and it likes the H&N FTT pellets in head size 5.52 or 5.53, can’t remember. I do remember buying tins with 5.51, 5.52, 5.53 and 5.54 head sizes to find out best performance. I was able to get between .5 and .75 very consistently depending on wind at 50 yds. Longest kill shot on Squirrel with that rifle and pellet was 75 yards, before loaning rifle to Dad.

I have weighed out entire tins of pellets, sorting them into different weights. I save empty tins just for sorting pellets. Mic'ing each pellet on the other hand does sound tedious and something I really didn't want to do. I do own a set of dial calipers so I guess I have no choice if I want to try and wring out as much accuracy as possible. Does any one have any suggestions on brand other than H&N? Not that I don't think they're good pellets, I just wanted to see if I had other options.

I would suggest getting the pellet gauge from pelletgage.com and buying jsb pellets and checking head size. It's fairly cheap and can show you if the pellets you are shooting are actually the size you think they are. I have 2k jsb 5.52 pellets that are ALL way oversize and another 2k that are ALL way undersize another 1k that 5.54 and another 2k that are exactly 5.52 as they all should have been. The undersized ones shoot really crappy in my red wolf but not too badly in my crown so you never know. I don't like the micrometer idea. Get the pellet gauge. M2C

Reactions: biohazardman
I've had a short time inspecting, sizing and weighing my .22 pellets but have noticed the 15.89 varygreatest in head sizes and weights followed by the 18.13 and the 25.39 varied the least. EVEN though some say that it's a waste of time and damaged and unsorted pellets shoot just as good as inspected, measured and weighed.Im just hard headed like that I guess.😜