He was one proud squirrel

This guy had a set.

285D6D3E-9634-4CFF-81DA-3E008E77D8B7.1609473522.jpeg

I shot him with a 25 cal NSA 33.5 at 85 yards through an FX impact running 950fps.The only reason I discovered his endowment was I wanted to see what that slug did to him. Unfortunately there was no expansion, in one side and out the other leaving no real visible signs. For some reason theses slugs haven’t shown much if any expansion on squirrels so far.

Longest shot to date is about 165, haven’t had the gun very long and still dialing a tune in.

RALPHK-

I shoot the NSA slugs in a .22 Impact. 24.8 grain at 950fps. It’s not often that I can see the damage on a ground squirrel externally. I can sure hear the difference though compared to pellets. If you are curious then next time you go hunting take an old t shirt or towel with you. After you get a squirrel down, prop him up with the rolled up t shirt behind his shoulder and back off to a desire range and take a shot. The shirt will catch the slug and you can get a good look at your expansion. Just take care when handling these disease carriers. Here is a link to a post I made last year with good photos of my tested expanded slugs. Hope this helps or at least entertains,

Kenny

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/nsa-slugs-and-fx-impact-ballistic-testing-tuning-and-lots-of-photos-to-share/#post-669295

RALPHK-

I shoot the NSA slugs in a .22 Impact. 24.8 grain at 950fps. It’s not often that I can see the damage on a ground squirrel externally. I can sure hear the difference though compared to pellets. If you are curious then next time you go hunting take an old t shirt or towel with you. After you get a squirrel down, prop him up with the rolled up t shirt behind his shoulder and back off to a desire range and take a shot. The shirt will catch the slug and you can get a good look at your expansion. Just take care when handling these disease carriers. Here is a link to a post I made last year with good photos of my tested expanded slugs. Hope this helps or at least entertains,

Kenny

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/nsa-slugs-and-fx-impact-ballistic-testing-tuning-and-lots-of-photos-to-share/#post-669295

Nice write up and slug photos, good shooting too. At the speeds I’m running my groups are a little less than 1moa in calm air, I can tighten that up but not at the speeds I want to shoot. Still a work in progress

Went out this morning after the fog lifted, in too live in central ca., tagged one at 185 yards. First shot just over his back, he didn’t even notice it, second one on the mark. 
The range finder I use is a G7-BR2, it takes into account barometric pressure, temperature, and shot angle runs it through an internal ballistics calculator then spits out your dope. Works very well for air rifles but my primary use for it was long range deer and elk.

Never heard of alpha chewing the sack off other males, but i shot a lot of squirrels last year usually 5 each weekend and never noticed evidence of such an act. I have a lot of pecan trees in my yard, neighborhood, and the nearby golf coarse. But I do notice around March and June there are alot of squirrel banging going on down here in Texas. I have seen them robbing bird nests eating eggs & baby birds, attacking birds, even a chick. I see the birds attack them and the feral cats catch them like an lion on a gazelle as they eat them on the spot. just my 2 cents