Hay i was watching some kind of sniper move

Real-life operators use a folding knife, multi-tool, duct tape, and paracord to complete 95% of tasks. Taking the time to locate a crescent wrench is going the extra mile :ROFLMAO:
I don't know what real life operators use. I don't travel in those circles. There's nothing wrong with a multi tool or crescent wrench to mount optics in a field environment. The big joke is when they do it in the movies and make a half mile kill shot afterwards without zeroing the scope. That's totally BS

I met a guy with a .308 bolt action that had his scope rotated 45 degrees left so the crosshairs were like X
He said that helps him get on target faster (yes he moved here from kalifornia). He had his paper target pinned to the chainlink fence in the back yard with a guy living right behind it. He was having trouble zeroing his scope and the cops had to tell Mr X to stop shooting at the guy.

I saw a totally fascinating SNIPER scene [edit: the opening scene of Gemini Man (Thanks, Dave)]
★ As exciting as unrealistic. 😆

The shot was medium range (several hundred yards).

⁍ The target was on a moving train.
⁍ There was no measuring of the velocity of the train.

⁍ The train was moving perpendicular to the shooter (maximizing the velocity relative to the bullet path, and therefore maximizing the required lead on the target).
⁍ The train was a bullet train (pun intended).
⁍ They typically travel with 150-190mph (250 to 300km/h).

⁍ Head shot❗

Under the most favorable conditions the train's velocity requires leading the target by about 60 mil (200 moa).
Most scope reticles only show about 10 mil (35moa).

The shooter would have to hold 13m (43 feet) ahead of the target at the moment the bullet leaves the barrel.

A misjudging of the train's velocity by only 5km/h (3mph) would offset the POI by 27cm (11 inches). — Clear miss.

I do not get tired of watching the scene..... 😆

Matthias

Last edited:
Dunno but for requal in the USMC we had peep sights with 1/2" minute clicks shooting as far out as 500 yards.

M-14 using hasty sling/shooting glove.

200 yards/meters
Able target (round 12" bullseye 5 points...)
5 rounds sitting
5 rounds kneeling
5 rounds standing
20 minutes IIRC

10 rounds rapid fire sitting, 1 minute, Dog target (sort of a head/shoulders profile, like an enemy prone looking at you.)

300 yards/meters
Able target
5 rounds sitting, 5 minutes

10 rounds rapid fire prone, 1 minute, Dog target

500 yards/meters
B Modified target (full torso)
10 rounds prone, 10 minutes

Total 50 rounds, possible score 250.

Last edited:
When I was in the Army, we had to go with the lightest gear possible. One crescent can take the place of dozens of other wrenches and sockets, saving a bunch of weight and bulk. And the less all your other stuff weighs, the more ammo, water, and food you can carry.
Well that make's sence"this guy was in a room that looked like the back room to a gun smith shop"

Dunno but for requal in the USMC we had peep sights with 1/2" minute clicks shooting as far out as 500 yards.

M-14 using hasty sling/shooting glove.

200 yards/meters
Able target (round 12" bullseye 5 points...)
5 rounds sitting
5 rounds kneeling
5 rounds standing
20 minutes IIRC

10 rounds rapid fire sitting, 1 minute, Dog target (sort of a head/shoulders profile, like an enemy prone looking at you.)

300 yards/meters
Able target
5 rounds sitting, 5 minutes

10 rounds rapid fire prone, 1 minute, Dog target

500 yards/meters
B Modified target (full torso)
10 rounds prone, 10 minutes

Total 50 rounds, possible score 250.
When I started shhooting service rifle high power at Camp Perry we used M1 Garands and then bought M1A’s and farthest was 20 rounds slow fire twenty minutes, 600 yards, battle iron sights.
When they switched to M16/AR15’s there were guys cleaning the course with regularity.

Shooting related oddities that bother people....

My favorite unrealistic scene in a movie was in "SHOOTER" when the view through the scope at a coffee can a mile away was the same size in the FOV as if it was 75 yards away, LOL!

I've shot a mile away with a similar rifle in 375CT using a NF scope on 22x and a coffee can is approx 3 times the thickness of the reticle at that distance. For example one MOA is about 18 inches at a mile and well you know how big a coffee can is so about 1/4 to 1/3 MOA way out there.

I did witness Cory Trap hit a steel plate almost exactly in the middle at a mile on the cold bore shot. He's a instructor at Gunsite Ranch, teaches the ELR class, and was using $35,000 dollars worth of gear to do so. Just the Vectronics LRF was $19,000. :oops:

And I've used both a half inch nut driver as well as a cresent wrench for some rings like NF that have that large nut. After a while of taking the rings off a rail and putting the scope on another gun you get the feel of how much to torque it. I've won plenty of long range matches either way. Tight enough is tight enough.
Come to think of it my March Genesis has 1/2" nuts that need tightening and I might have used a cresent but mostly a 1/2" socket. $1000x5.

Last edited:
I think my favorite movie shot is still the one at the end of "Wanted," where he manages to shoot through the center of a donut while she's trying to put it in her mouth. From a point where he actually cannot see what he's aiming at.
Followed closely by one of the "Sniper" movies, where the guy is standing in a rocking boat with a .22lr.

Reactions: Mycapt65