• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hawke Vantage on springer?

I was considering a Hawke Vantage 4-12x40 AO Mil Dot reticle scope for my .177 Beeman R9 which has been tuned to 13.5 fpe.
The manufacturer says the scope is not recommended for springers with more than 12 fpe.

With my gun being tuned, it is much smoother than stock. Am I foolish to try this scope, or will I be alright? Thanks everyone!

Best,
Darren

EDIT: Just found this thread, sounds like I should keep looking https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/hawke-vantage-on-a-springer.811836/#post-1265972

Last edited:
I believe all Hawke scopes are springer rated.
They are, but straight from Customer Service at Hawke, their Vantage line of scopes is only rated for springers under 12fpe.

Like Marty, I have more than a few. All of them are mounted on springers shooting 15-18fpe and to date, I've had no issues with any of them but I've also always figured it's because all of mine have IR so the reticles are etched in the glass, not wire ones which break easier.
Your mileage may well end up varying, but Hawke has a solid warranty and they'll either replace it if something happens to it or suggest you upgrade for a small fee to something like the next level up Airmax line which were made for magnum springer use.

I was considering a Hawke Vantage 4-12x40 AO Mil Dot reticle scope for my .177 Beeman R9 which has been tuned to 13.5 fpe.
The manufacturer says the scope is not recommended for springers with more than 12 fpe.

With my gun being tuned, it is much smoother than stock. Am I foolish to try this scope, or will I be alright? Thanks everyone!

Best,
Darren

EDIT: Just found this thread, sounds like I should keep looking https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/hawke-vantage-on-a-springer.811836/#post-1265972
If the maker is telling you what their own product is recommended for use on/up to...

They are, but straight from Customer Service at Hawke, their Vantage line of scopes is only rated for springers under 12fpe.

Like Marty, I have more than a few. All of them are mounted on springers shooting 15-18fpe and to date, I've had no issues with any of them but I've also always figured it's because all of mine have IR so the reticles are etched in the glass, not wire ones which break easier.
Your mileage may well end up varying, but Hawke has a solid warranty and they'll either replace it if something happens to it or suggest you upgrade for a small fee to something like the next level up Airmax line which were made for magnum springer use.
All the Hawke scopes except the Vantage line are" magnum rated" for piston guns not just the Airmax.

Does anyone know if the Hawke Vantage 4-12x40 AO Mil Dot (14141) has an etched reticle? It is non-IR but I would think a Mil Dot would have to be etched?
You might have to ask Hawke for that information. I know some of the older Mil-Dot reticle were wire, I’m not sure what process is used currently. My advice would be to look at something else either way. The Airmax series would be a good choice as well as the UTG SWAT scopes. I have a couple Vantage scopes along with the UTG SWAT. The Vantage is a little more clear but the SWAT is very robust and much heavier built. I ran one of the of the SWAT scopes on a Diana 350 Mag and later put the same exact scope on my Diana 48. The scope had to have several thousand rounds on it and never had any issues.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Hawke Vantage 4-12x40 AO Mil Dot (14141) has an etched reticle? It is non-IR but I would think a Mil Dot would have to be etched?
Midot scope do not have to be etched, some UTG are/were definitely wire mildots but I'm not sure about the Vantage. Always best to ask the maker via email and retain the info for future reference.

I would recommend this model of Hawke Airmax Compact scopes & this is the 44 mm size on my HW95L.
https://us.hawkeoptics.com/airmax-30-sf-compact-3-12x40-amx-ir.html
1655503391313.png

Midot scope do not have to be etched, some UTG are/were definitely wire mildots but I'm not sure about the Vantage. Always best to ask the maker via email and retain the info for future reference.

I have several 2-7x32 and 3-9x40 AO Hawke Vantage scopes and they have wire reticles with mil dots. I don't have any Hawke scopes with illuminated reticles so I do not know about those models. I've only used the Vantage scopes on PCPs.

I just got that vantage 3-9x40 AO IR mildot, I was going to put it on my gamo swarm magnum, but now I rly don't know what to do. If someone has used it on magnum rifles, pls let me know!
I have that same scope on more than a few 17-20fpe rifles and they've held up just fine. Please take that with a grain of salt as that's my own personal experience and yours and others mileage may well vary, but Hawke has an awesome warranty, so if something does happen, they'll take very good care of you.

I have that same scope on more than a few 17-20fpe rifles and they've held up just fine. Please take that with a grain of salt as that's my own personal experience and yours and others mileage may well vary, but Hawke has an awesome warranty, so if something does happen, they'll take very good care of you.
Well that Gamo has about 33fpe and it has already destroyed one scope. It was Gamo's 4-12 ao md. Hawke is propably much better and higher quality than Gamo, let's see.

Well that Gamo has about 33fpe and it has already destroyed one scope. It was Gamo's 4-12 ao md. Hawke is propably much better and higher quality than Gamo, let's see.
If you can get them, maybe consider either the Sportsmatch Dampa Mount or Diana ZR mount?? There are also a couple companies selling on Amazon that make inexpensive copies of the Diana ZR mount. I have a couple made by a company called Mizugiwa that are the same thing and a 1/3 the price.

If you can get them, maybe consider either the Sportsmatch Dampa Mount or Diana ZR mount?? There are also a couple companies selling on Amazon that make inexpensive copies of the Diana ZR mount. I have a couple made by a company called Mizugiwa that are the same thing and a 1/3 the price.
Gamo has already its own recoil-mount-thing. I don't know how well it lower that recoil for scope.