Hawke sidewinder 6-24x56 ffp versus Aztec 5-25x50 ffp

Hello everyone,

I have a Texan SS that I am looking to scope for hunting deer and hogs. Most of my hunting will obviously be very early or later in the day. Ranges up to 100 yards or so. I want a ffp scope and narrowed the choices to these 2. Hawke has been around longer and maybe the 56mm will help in darker conditions, but I’ve also heard some good things about the Aztec scopes. Both are the same price and come with the same accessories including flip covers and sunshade. Any thoughts one way or another as I won’t be able to look at them to compare before I buy. Thanks!

I have had both. Didn’t like the Aztec at all. Had to send the Aztec back after only a few weeks due to tracking issues. It was immediately replaced at no cost so the service was good but I sold the replacement shortly thereafter.

i own seven Hawke scopes including four Sidewinders exactly like your consideration. I don’t think you can go wrong with Hawke.

I've got the Hawke 6-24 x 56 FFP on both my wife's and my Impacts. My father just bought two for his and my mother's Impacts (we seem to have made this airgunning thing a family affair). They're not top-end glass, but they have been very good in my opinion. On the couple of occasions where I've sighted in at 50 yards, then moved to 75 yards and used Strelok Pro to determine scope turret adjustment, it's been within one click. So, I have faith in the turrets. We're pretty happy with them. No experience with the Aztec.

I’ve been using my FFP Aztec Emerald for close to a year, can’t speak in comparison to the Sidewinder. But it is a good scope, with a fine, uncluttered reticle. So far I’ve been very satisfied with mine. 

@backwoodsbob, how exactly did you determine that the reticle was not “square or plum” to the scope tube? Never heard of that condition until now. 

I used to have them both, the glass in the Hawke is far better. I sold my 2..Aztec 5.5x25x50 ..after i purchase the Aztec 3x18x50..for my .177 cricket..is by far better and more clear at longer range than the 5.5x25x50 ..the only reason I sell my other 2 Hawke was to change them for the TMX reticle..awesome scopes for the money...I recently buy 2 Bushnell Forge 3x18x50 let se how they go..

I thought I gave Aztec scope a try, paid over $400 for one. Hoping to have a nice scope but I was wrong. Lost zero very easily and it is not solid as advertised. I will be sending it back and hopefully the replacement redeem my disappointment. I owned two Hawke scopes and both are solid like new after two years of used.

RX, which Aztec the FFP? What were your issues with it? Not as solid? Just trying to understand. Other than my illumination knob issue, my scope has held zero and been solid in the field. I understand that it might not be the clearest glass, but to me the reticle more than makes up for it. Mine is back at AOA. If it fails again then I’ll consider other options.

L. Leon,

Mine was the SFP. I sent it back to Aztec and they sent me a new scope. This one seems to hold zero but how long is the question. During the time the scope was sent to Aztec, I purchased a Riton 6-24X50IR-FFP and use it in place of the Aztec. The Riton is heavier but this thing is solid and much clearer glass. I will keep the Aztec on my Uragan for now for testing. I have a feeling I may end up putting the Riton scope back on my Uragan.

I recently sold my Last AZTEC..problems with tracking...personally I dont want nothing that comes from mat duber..from now on I'm not buying nothing because some payd person says is good .. if I liked I buy it if not .. sold it and buy another.. dont like the way some people do business..now he is selling the new brand...and he have the nerve to trash AZTEC . But when AZTEC comes for sale it was the bomb..I dont se a reason to trash a company that gave you the opportunity to make a few bucks..you have a new opportunity great you take it and move on..now we are supposed to believe the new ones are great. Good luck for the buyers...maybe they do .. right now Arken have better price point. And great reticles to.

The illumination knob on mine failed after a year, and it was replaced. The reticle is great for typical airgun distances, and the illumination is very, very nice. I have many kills through mine. Other than the knob failure no complaints. There are many others who use this scope with no issues. I also own an Athlon Helos BTR which is more robust, but the Aztec holds its own. No regrets on the Aztec.