• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hawke scopes??

"P.Shooter71"I was wondering more about the reticle part because the one scope come with 1/2 mildot 10x and the high mag scope came with 1/2 mildot 20x . It looks like 10x is just in middle of scope where 20x reticle covers the whole lens which I think is better.
The x10/x20 just means that's the magnification at which the MILs are in the correct proportion to the background image. At higher magnifications the MIL dots will appear closer together relative to the background, at lower magnifications the MIL dots will appear further apart relative to the background. So for the x10 scope correct proportions between reticle and background are displayed at x10 magnification, whereas in the x20 scope correct proportions are shown at x20 magnification.

The benefit with the x20, is that at x10, the half MIL marks become 1 MIL marks, because at x10 mag the background has been shrunk by half compared to at x20 mag because the reticle hasn't changed in size. This is the point Bobby was trying to make.

P.Shooter- I own several of the 4.5x14x50 Hawkes. I also have a number of 'paper shooting' scopes which go quite a bit higher (thru 36x). For myself I find the target and how it acts to be the major factor in deciding which scope I use. For most of my 'animated' shooting, I either shoot 10x or 12x. My primary animated target is small-medium ground squirrels, where my target zone is about 2" x 4". 2 weeks ago I had 3 squirrels confirmed DRT (Dead Right There) at 175yds- actually I should say 2 1/2 because I shot the tail off one and he wasn't hanging around for the after-party...;-) I hate wind... Several hundred were shot 30-90 yards and my percentage was probably 70-80% as I approached 100yds. 60-70yds is consistently 90%+. I have shot these ranges A LOT- last year's pellet consumption was just short of 13K. 2 tins a day was a common scenario for my squirrel shooting. Scope was set on 10x.

When I shoot for accuracy/load development, I commonly switch over to either a 24x or 36x (Leupolds). Yes I have the same complaint as others, mirage comes up quickly, especially as we progress into Summer- but I don't have to find a moving target, refocus the scope, and I've got time to deal with conditions.

A previous poster probably had the most astute reply in stating scope power is primary influenced by the shooter's eyesight- I have seen my own preferences change over time as my sight has aged. Lasik eye surgery was real hard on small furry things at longer distances!!! 

.25's rule in my hunting game, but I also have an assortment of .22's and a couple of .177's that don't get out of the safe much anymore.

My suggestion would be to find some friends that have the scope(s) you're interested in and look thru them in the conditions you anticipate shooting in. Good Luck & Good Shooting! hi-vel

"P.Shooter71"I was wondering more about the reticle part because the one scope come with 1/2 mildot 10x and the high mag scope came with 1/2 mildot 20x . It looks like 10x is just in middle of scope where 20x reticle covers the whole lens which I think is better.
Just in case I previously misunderstood your comment. I'll just point out that if you had 2 rifles, one with the 10x scope fitted, and one with the 20x scope fitted (both with 1/2 MIL marks), and you set them both to x10 magnification, then looking through them, when compared to the 10x scope, you would see that on the 20x scope the reticle would be twice as large relative to the background as on the 10x scope. So yes, on the 10x scope the reticle appears more compressed by a factor of 2. But having more compressed marks makes is easier to take a reading, as it visually divides things up more. I don't believe that it would be difficult to read. But to know for sure you'd need to ask someone who owned one.

On the scope I'm getting, at x10 mag, the markings will be 1 MIL apart. At x20 mag the marks will be 1/2 MIL apart.

Naturally this issue wouldn't exist on a first focal plane scope, so if you live in the U.S. go for the SWFA SS (super sniper) scope. It is after all about the same price (give or take $150). Not to mention that on the SWFA SS you can take readings straight off of the reticle and dial them as is onto the MIL turrets. Also it can parallax/focus down to 6m/6.5yrds!

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx

Alternatively why don't you just go for the higher mag Sidewinder scope?

I own 8 Hawke scopes. I have 4 sidewinders, 2 tactical, and two Airmax scopes. My sidewinders are 4-16x 50, the rest of my Hawke scopes are either 6-24 or 8-32 power.

the higher the magnification, the more options you have. High magnification is perfect for target shooting, and you can bring it way down for hunting. The extra weight is bad though.

I have only one thing to say about Hawke scopes, they are good, sorry, they are very good. The biggest scope, 8-32 power I use on my Hunting field target rifle. The focus on it, is super nice.

Biagio

An important consideration, which has failed to surface here, is customer support. I am compelled to offer this, as this aspect alone, out weighs a lot of the more trivial aspects of selection. In the world of powder burners, I have been "privileged" to own Swarovski, Zeiss, Leupold, and several other top brand and mid class hunting scopes. In the world of airguns, I have only owned Hawke and UTG. I can say that the customer support and willingness to honor their warranty, from both these manufacturers, make the previously mentioned high end boys, look "fly by night". From my humble experience. 

Huntjunky: I can concur with your statement. I picked up Hawke Eclipse 6-24x50 at an auction for less than retail. Four months later the sidewheel started acting up and I contacted them about it. They were willing to take a look and I shipped it to them. A couple weeks after shipping I received a brand new Hawke Endurance 6-24x50 as a no cost replacement. I haven't mounted it to a rifle yet but let me tell you I am very happy with their customer service and return/exchange policy.