Hawke scopes??

Keyser,

I think a lot has to do with the vision of the shooter. I have astigmatism in both eyes which plays havoc on my long distance shooting. I have a US Optics LR17 on my SCAR17 and find 17x barely sufficient at 100 yards. I really struggle when shooting out to 400 yards or more. I'm may pick up a Leupold 45x fixed for my poor old eyes, I live in the desert heat waves and mirage are usually a given.

Scott

As a hunter I never use more than 10x for two reasons one is weight keep it down your carrying gear food rifle thru the woods down trails and second if u are on a 20x may take a sec longer to Aquire your target 
for me it's all about getting on target quick!! Faster the better for me being zoomed in that close takes longer to find the target in the woods where all the trees look the same I can get on a rabbit size target at 125 yards on 10x all day and btw head shot now with all that said recently I started doin the accuracy obsession thing too and want to c groups for that defiantly more magnification!!! U want to c where each pellet goes also weight don't matter as I'm bench shootin or using my shooting table and in whitch Case I use a HK 4026 Whitch is the 6.5x20x42 and so what your intentions are matter for scope selection and travels4fun is correct about some eyes need extra help my fiend uses a Niko 50x haha he's blind sorry buddy if u c this lol

I'll put my vote in for the 6.5X20. Between my friends and myself I've had most scopes under 500 in my hands.I've found some likes and dislikes with all. As others have stated the 4.5X14 is tight. the 20X IMHO is superior as you get a full picture, stretching out to 125 yards you'll still get shooting marks, in the case of my gun 20 power is 123 yards at the bottom of the third box, using the same mounts and gun I'm in the black line at 10 power with an Aeon for 112.

"keysersoze"Mike what are you shooting, flies? Many long range shooters use 10x at 1000 yard matches. When I shoot 1000 yards there is no way I can use more than 14x because of mirage. Shooting 125 yards seems like the end of the barrel when you have been shooting 300 win mags at distance.
"Shooting Flies" yeah thats fun too!

To be honest it sounds like you have a lot more long range shooting experience than me. The most I can do is comment on my experiences. At the moment I have 3 scopes: Hawke Tac 4.5-14x42 SFP, Weaver Tac 4.5-14x44 FFP, SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP. I have pretty good vision but when I shoot at my 75 yard target I wish I had more magnification. I once owned a Nikko Diamond 10-50x60 and I found it much better for long distance (but that's not something you would want to carry in the field). Also if you look at the equipment used at the 75 yard EBR, you will see that most of the shooters used scopes over 20x magnification.
http://www.extremebenchrest.com/2014-extreme-benchrest-match-results/

I find the original post a bit difficult to answer. It's kind of like asking "which airgun is best for hunting & target shooting alike"? 

I say go for the 6.5-20x42. It $30 more, only 1 inch longer, and actually weights .3 ounces less.

Richard,

The Schmidt Bender 12.5-50 Field Target had some serious problems from what I recall. One was it was extremely sensitive to light and temperature fluctuation which caused havoc with range finding consistency, The second issue was that the scope would not hold zero due to poor tracking. Owners had to re-zero their scopes between shoots which is not acceptable for a $3000+ scope. S&B released the Field Target II last year as a result. I haven't heard or seen much said about the new FTII so if anyone cares to chime in, go for it.

Now if you want to see a killer 1000yard scope, have a gander at the March X 10-80x56 Ti (http://www.longrangesupply.com/store/scopes/march-optics/march-8-80x56mm-scopes/march-8-80x56-mtr-2-reticle-illuminated-tactical-knobs-1-8-moa-clicks-silver.html). It's currently on sale for just $3700 (normally $3885). Here is a nifty video showing the unboxing of this best:

"travels4fun"Richard,

The Schmidt Bender 12.5-50 Field Target had some serious problems from what I recall. One was it was extremely sensitive to light and temperature fluctuation which caused havoc with range finding consistency, The second issue was that the scope would not hold zero due to poor tracking. Owners had to re-zero their scopes between shoots which is not acceptable for a $3000+ scope. S&B released the Field Target II last year as a result. I haven't heard or seen much said about the new FTII so if anyone cares to chime in, go for it.

Now if you want to see a killer 1000yard scope, have a gander at the March X 10-80x56 Ti (http://www.longrangesupply.com/store/scopes/march-optics/march-8-80x56mm-scopes/march-8-80x56-mtr-2-reticle-illuminated-tactical-knobs-1-8-moa-clicks-silver.html). It's currently on sale for just $3700 (normally $3885). Here is a nifty video showing the unboxing of this best:

Wow I'm shocked! Those certainly sound like serious issues and not what one would expect from such a well known and reputable top scope manufacturer that supplies scopes to the military and police forces around the world (including Uncle Sam) such as S&B do. After all scopes used by the military go through rigorous testing before being selected and have to take a few knocks and operate in extreme environments. So you'd think that a scope manufacturer that makes such scopes would know what their doing.

As for the March scope you listed, I don't know much about the brand, but it looks good to me, though I have to say I'm not a fan of second focal plane reticles (see alternative below). But that's just my personal preference.

http://marchscopes.com/tactical-5-40-x-56-ffp.html

I do a great deal of long range ground hog hunting . I started out using a leapers 3-12x44 accushot I found that at 75 yards or more it was hard to get pin point accuracy. I switched to a 6-24x50 and found it much easier to see the target and hit exactly where I was aiming. Also it's hard to get a group of people to agree on a major subject like scope size. It really based on personal preference .that's really what makes air gunning so great. Best of luck to whichever scope u pick buddy.

"bobby"I thought about getting that exact scope once I receive my fx bobcat. How do you like yours
It's on order so I don't have it in my hands yet. But having a bigger objective should mean it has a shallower depth-of-field, so it should snap into/out of focus more quickly, which will make correcting for parallax easier - may be that's the reason it has the bigger parallax/focus wheel (ie finer adjustments). Also a bigger objective lets in more light. The downside is that it sits higher off of the barrel. But from what I've seen of bullpups in general, the scopes tend to sit quite high anyhow.