• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hawke scope, compact or fullsize?

I like the Hawke scopes with the AMX reticle and want one with more power than the 4x12 power ones I have currently.
Here's the two I'm looking at, to the people who understand the idiosyncrasies of scope design what if any are the negative aspects of compact scopes over the standard sizes?
Which one would you choose and why?

I know this is 'exactly' what you asked, but I thought I'd add something about the compact scopes. I have an Airmax 30 SF 4-16 standard size scope and an Airmax 3-12x Compact scope. I was worried that the optics of a compact scope would suffer somewhat just from being compact, but I can attest to the fact that there is no discernable difference in optical quality. Now, there is some physical aspects. The shorter scope has a larger field of view, and you can get just as bright a scope with a smaller objective lends in a compact, simply because of the shorter length. But as far as clarity and glass quality, it's a toss up. Also, compact scopes usually have shorter eye relief, so take that into consideration when purchasing as mounting may be affected. There is typically a half inch difference in eye relief on AM scopes from full size to compact, but I'm here to tell you, a half inch is a lot when you're mounting options are changed by the scopes physical size and limited space for rings. Obviouly, weight is the bigger draw of compacts, so that's a no brainer if you're looking for a light weight rig.
I like the compact Airmax 30mm line. I have the full size Airmax listed above on an AA HFT 500 and it makes for a quite heavy rig, but it's a heavy gun too, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to worry too much about scope weight on it. I have the compact on a Brocock Sniper HR, and it was a pain to find the right rings to get eye relief correct, but with 11mm (instead of picatinny) rings, it works fantastic and fits the gun well, also keeping it fairly lightweight.
So, to recap, the only real disadvantage (which is exactly why they make compact scopes) of compact scopes is the physical size and mounting options of short ring spacings, and eye relief.
One thing I will say, Hawke scopes are my all time favorite, either compact or full size. They have the correct reticle, and are clear and bright. It doesn't hurt either that Hawke stands behind them without any hassles. So far, I have six of them. Three 30mm Airmax, a 10X44, a 4-16X50, and a compact 3-12X, and two 1" Airmax 2-7X32 and a 1" Airmax 4-12X40 and also a 2-7X32 Vantage. All are absolutely fine scopes, and I have had no complaints So as you see, I think a lot of the Airmax line. I only own two other scopes, an SWFA 10X42 and a CenterPoint 4-16X40.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of the Hawke Airmax Compact SF 30mm scopes for all the reasons listed by bchannell's comprehensive post above. I have a 3X12-40 on my Benamin Akela bullpup and eye relief adjustment is critical. The long picatiny rail mounting point gives me plenty of adjustment, but not so much with my FX Crown Continuum where the adjustable comb height dials me right in. As bchannell mentioned above, using (for me BKL 300 high) 11mm dovetail rings on my Daystate is the ticket for proper eye relief. Since you already have a Hawke scope, you know how sweet is the illuminated reticle and side wheel parallax aduster. For the money, the compact version is my choice, in whatever power suits one's fancy.

Akela-Hawke 3x12-40 (2).jpg

The Hawke scopes I have don't have the wheel or the lighted reticle, they're the 4x12's. I like the clarity and the AMX reticle, looking at the dimensions on their website it looks like the compact will work on my gun, there needs to be enough room for the ring and the magazine ahead of the turret. The dimension on their website says the compact has 2.2"/56mm between the turret and the front bell. On the 4x12 scopes I have now it's 1.8"/42mm so plenty of room for the magazine to clear.
Looking forward to the lighted reticle for the night jobs I get.
It's really close with the 4x12

Reactions: orangeokie
I am a big fan of the Hawke Airmax Compact SF 30mm scopes for all the reasons listed by bchannell's comprehensive post above. I have a 3X12-40 on my Benamin Akela bullpup and eye relief adjustment is critical. The long picatiny rail mounting point gives me plenty of adjustment, but not so much with my FX Crown Continuum where the adjustable comb height dials me right in. As bchannell mentioned above, using (for me BKL 300 high) 11mm dovetail rings on my Daystate is the ticket for proper eye relief. Since you already have a Hawke scope, you know how sweet is the illuminated reticle and side wheel parallax aduster. For the money, the compact version is my choice, in whatever power suits one's fancy.

View attachment 343701
Twinseys.
WIN_20210516_11_48_54_Pro.jpg

Reactions: orangeokie