• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hawke or Element scopes

I have a number of Hawke scopes, but they are all SFP. I have the Element Helix 6-24x50 that is FFP. I also have an Athlon in SFP, but I'll leave that out of the discussion for the moment. I think I paid around $400 for my best Hawke scope, and over $500 for the Helix, so the Helix was a bit more expensive...so this comparison isn't really "apples to apples". This said, the reticle on the Element scope is WAAAYYY better than any of my Hawke scopes. I really like the "Dirty" reticle that looks like a Christmas Tree. You can consistently spot hold-over for both windage and elevation at the same time. You can "pick a dot" on the tree, and put a pellet through it every time (gun and shooter dependent). OK, so the reticle is bad a$s, but let's move on. The Element is noticeably harder to get your eye positioned right. I had to go through a lot more trouble to get the distance right on that one as I ever have. It's like the focal window for your eye is only a half-inch or something and you have to be right within that window, or you are looking at darkness. Another thing that I think is notable about the two is that I took a Hawke scope off of my gun, and when I put the Element on it, the elevation turret wouldn't adjust to let me get to 100 yards. I had to buy adjustable rings just for that scope. Once I got them, it was great, but the scope needed them. The clarity on the glass between the two is pretty much the same, with the Athlon being slightly better. One last little observation that I have made is that the parallax adjustment is closer to real life on the Element than on my Hawke scopes. The parallax can be off by around 15 yards or more on the Hawke, but on the Element, it is probably only about 5 yards, and that could just be my eyes because I wear glasses.

So, where on the fence am I? I'm about 90% sure that my next scope will be an Element Titan. I simply LOVE the reticle, and am thinking that the other issues are worth it. I may end up changing my mind, but if I do, it will only be for something with a similar reticle.

This is just my $0.02, but I hope that it is helpful 🤞

Quick Edit: After reading @hawkeye69 comment about the turrets, I can agree. My Hawke scopes have rather "mushy" turrets as he mentioned, but the Element have really solid clicks, and a zero stop. I forgot to mention those "elements".

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
I don't own Element scopes, but I do own Hawke Sidewinders. I bought two Arken scopes last year and for they exceeded my expectations. FFP, zero stop, illuminated, super clear glass, and the turrets are exceptional IMO. The turrets on my Hawke scopes are like mush compared to the Arken. The older scopes are 35 ounces and only focus to 20 yards, but the new 6-24X50 is under 25 Oz., focuses to 10 yards and is priced at $439.

i agree with you there brother!

my arken is pure deliciousness!!

i neeeed one of the new epl4 4-16 baaaaaadly :cool:

i agree with you there brother!

my arken is pure deliciousness!!

i neeeed one of the new epl4 4-16 baaaaaadly :cool:
Arken are now on my list of options.

I did just pick up the BSA scorpion out of the classifieds to scratch my BSA itch. Was going to go with a new CLX, but couldn't pass up that classic scorpion SE. Will tune it for more power and probably get a hawke for it.

The daystate will still be in the works after uncle Sam gets his money... being an independent contractor does have its downfalls. Although I pretty much make my hours and my "boss" is my best friend for over 30 years so I guess it's worth it lol.

I have no experience with Element or Arken scopes. I do wonder if the Element scopes are not over-hyped. Of the ones mentioned I do own I have to say I like my Athlon best. All my scopes were around $200 - so different price class - but the Athlon glass is the best and it holds it zero well and adjusts pretty well. Mine is the 6-24 Talos. Even though it is a 1 inch tube it has a wider windage and elevation adjustment range than some of my 30mm Primary Air scopes. With a no hassle lifetime warranty I am pretty my next scope will be another Athlon.

I am also gravitating to having more scopes than guns - I am already there and planning to continue the trend. My issue is I want a 6-24 or higher for target work but prefer a lighter 3-12 or 3-9 or 4-14 for hunting. A fancy fine line reticle is OK for targets - better than a thick mil dot - but I don't like thin cluttered reticles for hunting (to slow for me to pick up).

I prefer a standard reticle, mil dot, or even a duplex. I'm just not a fan of the Christmas tree reticle. I get lost lol. I just look at how far my target is, angle, and wind and just hold over. Took a starling at 60 yards yesterday in a tree top with a slight left to right wind. Gun is running 3-9x40 mil dot ret, zeroed at 40 with 15.89 hades going 950. Held over his right wing a mil dot and hit center mass.

I had a FFP Christmas tree reticle on one scope and hated it. I usually run my magnification around 75% of max on the scope and leave it just hold over/under. My 9x scopes are usually on 9.

I’m not really a scope recommender. Great glass can make a gun, but the weight of the scope with great glass can break the gun. The gun on the tripod is a hunter. Not a bench long bomber. It needed to be light as possible and handle well. I need crystal clear glass and a reticle I can see at all magnifications under all conditions. But I also needed enough magnification to scrutinize my groups at my maximum effective range. The Element SFP has that reticle, positive clicks and overall I guess it’s worth its price. But the scope on the tripod gun is just a better hunting scope. It’s smaller, lighter and better glass. Look outside the airgun forum stuff and you’ll find what you’re looking for. Airgun guys are a different breed. Hanging them big fat pop can turret Arkens on tiny guns, turning 6lb guns into 11lb guns and having sunshades out to the end of their barrels. My absolute favorite squirrel hunting scope doesn’t even have adjustable parallax. Its parallax is set from the factory at 50. But it’s a top of the line scope that flies below the radar outside the airgun world. That nasty Impact with the Nightforce wears it when I take it squirrel hunting. I’m not lugging that Nightforce around in the woods very often. Good luck shopping.

EBCE0036-1759-43EF-975E-EF8BD8395CDB.jpeg

Reactions: SkeeterHawk
It'll be in the $500-$1000 depending on what rig it'll end up on. Getting my plan together for when I get my higher end gun, which will be a revere/regal carbine or dreamline classic. Either will be 22 as well, and I don't shoot past 100.
Hi Boots. Hey,I just happen to be the guy (back in 2018?) that won the FX Classic that came with a 3-18x50 Aztec scope and Sportsmatch rings.Check out AEAC review. I went with the 22cal walnut stock version. My convenient max distance here at home is 67yds. I use the 10 magnification. The Dream is just phenomenal. The scope height is fine and works well with cheek rest and eye alignment. Does not act top heavy. The trigger is a dream. It is boringly accurate. ( JSB 18.13 pellets). I've kept the Aztec scope on it. The side focus feels a little mushy. But I ain't never had a high end scope before so take it for what it is.. I crank up the dial and adjust parallax there if I feel things should be going better than they r, then return to 10. Now I'm a big fan of Hawke scopes.Mainly the AMX line. I like the reticle because it works well with my air-rifles.As others have pointed out in other posts the reticles are very thin and can get lost amongst the background foilage. I don't notice it that much anymore. I have a Hawke AMX 30 WA SF 10x44 ($560) that I put on my HW97.Very very nice. If you were to ask me if I had to swap my Dream for any other rifle I'd choose the Revere.

I'm a windage-holdover guy myself and the AMX reticle is the BEST that I have found for air rifles.I don't like the (clutter) of these other (knob twisting,range finding latest and greatest,rainbow reticle,on target with my eyes closed wunder migadgets.
I like the AMX reticle so much I put a 8-32x on my long range 5.56

I'm 68 and looking for a better bench rest type scope, 50-130 yards. Scope weight is not a factor.
FX Crown 600 MK2 in .22
Currently using an Element Titan 5-25x56 on it, no real complaints other than Id like a little more X to see paper punches at 100 yards plus.
Leaning towards a Hawke Frontier 34 5-30x56.....and open to all suggestions, remarks, and opinions.
Thank You

Hey @Bodacious

I'm not an expert either, but Joe Rhea (Cyclops) is at this point. Here is a link to his YouTube channel. He does a TON of work with scopes and may get you the information you need easier. I don't know what other points you are looking at (like turret accuracy/consistency), but that would be a good starting point.

On another note, you may want to consider getting a spotting scope to see your hits. That is what I use, and it is fantastic!

I'm 68 and looking for a better bench rest type scope, 50-130 yards. Scope weight is not a factor.
FX Crown 600 MK2 in .22
Currently using an Element Titan 5-25x56 on it, no real complaints other than Id like a little more X to see paper punches at 100 yards plus.
Leaning towards a Hawke Frontier 34 5-30x56.....and open to all suggestions, remarks, and opinions.
Thank You
vortex golden eagle 15 - 60x. Even at the max power its crisp, clear and bright image. I have compared it to 45x night force scopes, 45 x leupold target scopes and it gives up nothing to them.

Reactions: SkeeterHawk
Appreciate some real world experience. Yes, itll be a 30 fpe 22, and that's all I really need it to be. I have my 25 cal 50 fpe gun, and the 38 fpe 25 carbine I built. Probably would go larger vs another 25.

This rifle I plan to get will presumably be my last 22 I get... yeah, I know...

My only 177 I plan on ever having is a BSA CLX. 12 fpe in 177 is a good gun and won't need a moderator. Theyre too anemic in 22 for me.

I really wish daystae would make a 14" barreled revere with a baffled shroud and keep them the size the carbine version comes. It would be perfect for what I want. Ain't no way I'd be cutting one up to make it that way either.
No balls no blue chips - humor intended