Hawke or Aztec..

Looking at the Hawke Airmax 30 SF 4-16x50, or the Aztec Emerald 5.5-25x50 for my Beeman R9 springer. Both are FFP, both are the exact same price, both "look" the same on the spec sheets (other than the magnification differences), both have a good warranty.
Has anyone used both? Are there any noticeable differences in the two (other than the magnification range)? All the direct Hawke/Aztec reviews I've seen are from a ways back (2018ish), and none with the Airmax. As for usage, it'll be a general all round rifle. Target, plinking, maybe some hunting and pesting.

Ok, was a thought. Aztec is more of a smaller company I think as they only have 3-4 scope models. They have good individual reviews (and are springer rated), but I'll stick with the known quality in Hawke. Thank you!
I had an Aztec emerald on a wildcat a few years back, and it was a terrific scope. I believe AOA had a hand in their development for pcp use, but I think they’re a pcp only scope. I don’t think they even hold on powder burners.

I shoot field target and have a hawke airmax and aztec emerald the hawke in my eyes does not seem to yardage as easly as the aztec but i have a new 177 crown coming and i was looking through a element scope at last weeks match and i am leaning towards it seems like it is clearer i am gonna shoot a match with his gun and see if i like the element better

From my experience with the Aztec, it's a really bad scope. The teeth on the top turret did not align correctly. I was always off by one moa click when I reset the turret back to zero after finding my point of impact zero on paper. This was with the first focal plane and second focal plane scope.

All reviewers on YouTube miss this problematic function on the scope when u reset the top turret. I encourage any current owners of the Aztec owner to comment about on their experience on this function of the scope. I had to dig deep into reviews of this scope to find out that other Aztec owners had the similar problem as me.

Also, with the nonilluminated model in areas where light is dim, you will have problems with seeing the small black reticals. This is another thing Youtube reviewers miss on the Aztec scope.

Stay away from the Aztec scope.

I have both scopes. The Aztec turrets are subpar and you cannot get either set to 0, but the reticle and turrets are both MOA.You don't have that problem with Hawke scopes turrets..BUT...WHY would you make the reticle milldot and the turrets MOA...welcome to Hawke scopes.
The Airmax 30 SF turrets are MRAD.

Reactions: Sanctify7
My Aztec has been fine, great reticle, daylight bright IR. Blanket statements by one user don’t make it a bad scope. I’ve taken hundreds of pest with mine from 20 to 104 yards. Yes, once you set your zero and removed the turret to match the reference mark? The turret, not your zero would be off by one click. Wow! What a deal breaker. Are the turrets as robust and repeatable as on my Helos? No, but that does not make it a bad scope. It actually has a very useable reticle and Xmas tree for repeated hits in the wind at practical airgun distances. Also it’s a light scope for its size.

99460063-C0E4-4815-9519-A155F93FB32B.jpeg

I have the new Aztec emerald 5.5-25X50 ffp zero stop scope. Got it from AOA. Illuminated reticle. Less than 10ft focus. Very clear and bright. It has the large vertical and horizontal knobs. I haven't seen any reviews on it yet. I haven't been able to shoot it at long range yet as winter has returned to western WA. I think I like it.
20221015_205816.jpg

Reactions: MoHillbilly